Menu

Thickening a chicken curry

momee

I've made a chicken curry using

onions, chicken breast, curry paste, can of tomatoes and water according to the instructions on the curry paste jar.

It is a bit runnier than I would like.  Any ideas on what to thicken it with?  I was thinking maybe...plain yogurt?

I'm not sure because I don't ever cook Indian food.  TIA

Hmmm…..I usually make it without water if I am using a tomato base.  I would think you could take out some of the liquid and mix it with corn starch and add it back in.

If it is a creamy base, I use real cream and it doesn't get runny at all.

Dawn

If the tomatoes give your curry a reddish color you might want to avoid adding yogurt or cream. The resulting color might be unappetizing.

I usually use chicken broth for the sauce and thicken it with a little bit of cornstarch. Mix about 1/2 - 1 tsp cornstarch with water. (You might want to use the smaller amount first as cornstarch can really thicken the broth.) Then add a little bit of your sauce into the bowl and mix. Then pour the mixture into your pot and stir well.

Thanks everyone.  It is already made so I can't reduce the water being used at this point.  It does have a pretty red color I'd like to keep so I'll go with the cornstarch/chicken broth idea.  I'm also boiling the liquid down a bit in addition.

You all are so smart :)

It smells AMAZING<