Menu

Thread idea - two simple lists for acceptances - by user name and by school

Hoggirl

Since the college acceptance thread is now over 200 posts long (with many more decisions to come), what do y'all think about having a thread that ONLY lists the names of schools where accepted? Seems like these have existed in the past. Everyone could just copy and paste as they add new decisions. While I LOVE all the congratulatory responses and shared enthusiasm on the current thread, I was thinking it might be helpful to future readers if we just had plain old lists. They have these on CC. That way, if someone was interested in a school they could more easily see whether or not anyone had experience with a particular school. Maybe list schools and users both alphabetically.

Any thoughts? Any ideas for a good thread title to make it clear as to what it is?

Okay, well, someone who is smarter at formatting than I am should probably do it!!! I never know how to make stuff bold, etc. Ha ha!

How about a title of Class of 2014 - Lists only - College Acceptances by School and User Name (or Board name????)

Then in bold:

List of Acceptances by School

List of Acceptances by User Name

with everyone listing schools underneath.

One other issue on the alphabetical part - I think "University of" should be included in the title of the school and then listed alphabetically within that: University of Arizona, University of Michigan, University of Wyoming (rather than just listing, Arizona, Michigan, Wyoming). What do y'all think??

Okay, somebody who knows how to type bold stuff, go do it! :D I am so dang bossy!! Yes, I know it!

So, you're looking for something kind of like this?

Acceptances by School Name

Alma College

- son of Jenny in Florida (merit scholarship)

Marymount Manhattan

University of Tampa

- son of Jenny in Florida (merit scholarship, honors program)

Acceptances by User Name

- Jenny in Florida (son): Alma College, Marymount Manhattan, University of Tampa . . .

If that's what we want, I'll be happy to start the thread(s). We just need to decide whether we want one thread including both lists or two threads.

So, you're looking for something kind of like this?

Acceptances by School Name

Alma College

Marymount Manhattan

University of Tampa

- son of Jenny in Florida (merit scholarship, honors program)

Acceptances by User Name

- Jenny in Florida (son): Alma College, Marymount Manhattan, University of Tampa . . .

If that's what we want, I'll be happy to start the thread(s). We just need to decide whether we want one thread including both lists or two threads.

My vote is for the first one.

I like the lists like the first one only all in one line so each line starts a college name. And alphabetical so that all kids accepted to the same college are clustered together. (Just my 2 cents, as I don't actually have anyone graduating this year.  :blush: )

Alma College - son of...

University of Tampa - son of...

University of Tampa - son of XXX

I like the lists like the first one only all in one line so each line starts a college name. And alphabetical so that all kids accepted to the same college are clustered together. (Just my 2 cents, as I don't actually have anyone graduating this year.  :blush: )

Alma College - son of...

University of Tampa - son of...

University of Tampa - son of XXX

My concern about putting it all on one line was that, if enough kids are accepted to the same school, the line may wrap and make it tougher to read the list.

Maybe it's not a problem, though. Do we have any schools that have accepted more than three or four of our seniors this year?

My concern about putting it all on one line was that, if enough kids are accepted to the same school, the line may wrap and make it tougher to read the list.

Maybe it's not a problem, though. Do we have any schools that have accepted more than three or four of our seniors this year?

I agree with your point.   I like the indent and list.   Maybe if everyone bolds the school it will be easier to read.   If you are posting from a device that can't bold, it is easy enough to format.  it is simply  (oops editing to add b/c nothing was there!!)

LOL......well apparently you can't just post what you do.   so it is [ b ]   [/ b ] except w/o spaces.

I agree with your point. I like the indent and list. Maybe if everyone bolds the school it will be easier to read. If you are posting from a device that can't bold, it is easy enough to format. it is simply (oops editing to add b/c nothing was there!!)

LOL......well apparently you can't just post what you do. so it is [ b ] [/ b ] except w/o spaces.

I like the name of the school being bold, then followed by an indent list of those accepted.

But, I will be happy with whatever!!! I just thought it would be nice for future users to see folks whose kids had been accepted to certain schools. :)

I like the name of the school being bold, then followed by an indent list of those accepted.

But, I will be happy with whatever!!! I just thought it would be nice for future users to see folks whose kids had been accepted to certain schools. :)

It will also be nice for us (and our kids) to see easily if anyone else from this board has been accepted to the same schools.

Good ideas, all. I'll head on over and post ... :)

The problem with the copy and pasted list is that sometimes, 2 people are posting at the same time (which easily happens as it takes time between copy and pasting to your post, then writing your info, and then actually posting) so some people stuff gets lost when both people only add to the same list. so each list has everything, and just their info, not the info of the person doing it at the same time. See what I am trying to say? 

How about each person only say in their post the college acceptance info with no extra stuff. No one congratulates or anything. Everyone can "like" the posts. Then when someone gets more colleges to add, they can just go back and edit their original post.