Menu

California Community Colleges for Underage Students

urthmama

Hi!  I have spent QUITE a lot of time reading through the archived posts regarding early college admission...and I know how...ummmmm...controversial it is. ;-)

I am specifically looking for someone who might have experience enrolling their child under the age of 13 in a community college in California.

When I access the online applications - it says that you must be 13 years old to apply online due to internet safety laws.  I wonder if this means that online courses are off limits to children under the age of 13?  (I would like her to have the option of taking online courses.)  

Also - some of the CCs say that in order to enroll prior to age 18, you must have an accredited high school diploma.  Others just say "high school diploma."  There is also dual enrollment, of course- but with the state of CA over-enrollment, I would rather enroll her as a high school grad.

Does anyone know of any CCs in CA that are friendly with enrolling gifted underage students younger than age 13?  

I am mulling over the options for my daughter.  Part of me thinks I should have her complete an online accredited high school program for a few reasons:  1) to legitimize her to colleges, being that she is so young, and 2) so she gets used to coursework that is graded by someone other than me.  ;-)  So - that is one option.

I have considered having her take CLEP tests and do that route of self-study, but the problem with that is that the UCs and several other top tier universities near me do not accept CLEP tests, and I want to keep those doors open for her.

Her route that we are thinking of taking is:  CC and then transfer to a UC (preferably UCLA) with junior status - all while living at home.  I do not plan on having her move out prior to age 18...which is many years away.  

Anyway - this is not a debate about acceleration - I am just looking down the road and trying to plan for my daughter who is full steam ahead, no matter how hard I have tried to hold her back!  I understand all the implications about college grades staying with a person permanently - I graduated university Phi Beta Kappa and went on to receive two graduate degrees (Law at Berkeley and Film at USC).  

Anyhoo- thanks so much if anyone can help me out with this.  My head is spinning a little - and anyone who has been in this situation before- I would appreciate guidance.

Thanks!

If you file the PSA, you would declare her a 10th grader for the purposes of taking the California High School Proficiency Exam. Once she passes the CHPSE, she can enroll as a high school grad no matter what her age. I know people who have done that.

If you want to not have her take the CHPSE to enroll as a FT student but just do a course or two, it gets tricky. Many of the CC's in my area will not take students below 10th grade at all. Some will take students as long as they are 14. A couple will take younger students under a special admissions program that requires a recommendation from a guidance counselor (we are enrolled through a charter and they've already said they would provide this), an interview, and presumably a review of her test scores & grades. DD is taking the SAT in March for talent search (she was supposed to do it in January but we suffered an epic Google Maps fail and couldn't find the test center). If she does as well on that as she has on old practice tests, there should be evidence that she has the aptitude for a college level foreign language course (she wants to study American Sign Language).

If you file the PSA, you would declare her a 10th grader for the purposes of taking the California High School Proficiency Exam. Once she passes the CHPSE, she can enroll as a high school grad no matter what her age. I know people who have done that.

If you want to not have her take the CHPSE to enroll as a FT student but just do a course or two, it gets tricky. Many of the CC's in my area will not take students below 10th grade at all. Some will take students as long as they are 14. A couple will take younger students under a special admissions program that requires a recommendation from a guidance counselor (we are enrolled through a charter and they've already said they would provide this), an interview, and presumably a review of her test scores & grades. DD is taking the SAT in March for talent search (she was supposed to do it in January but we suffered an epic Google Maps fail and couldn't find the test center). If she does as well on that as she has on old practice tests, there should be evidence that she has the aptitude for a college level foreign language course (she wants to study American Sign Language).

Thank you SO much!  I never thought about listing her as 10th grade on the PSA (we do file it).  Right now she is listed as the grade she would be in public school.  Perhaps when I file in the future, that could be an option!  

Can I ask which area of CA you are located?  I am in Los Angeles, and it seems like a lot of the CCs here will not accept younger students - Santa Monica CC - which is close to me - will not accept anyone under 18!  

I kind of want her to take online classes at De Anza or Foothill...or possibly Pasadena CC.  I think PCC was the one that said any diploma must be accredited.

I wonder about trying to enroll her in a CC not in our area (but still in CA) for the purposes of taking online classes.  I know many international students do just that - so certainly, it must not be that unusual.  But with her age (under 13) - I don't know how online courses work at the college level - since she is too young to apply online.  Does that make sense?

I have thought of having her take the SAT - it may come to that.  I was considering having her do the Early Entrant program at CSULA...but I want her to have a little more flexibility in terms of not having to be on campus so much at such a young age, plus I have a preference for UCs...as I have studied both at UCLA and Berkeley.

Good luck to your daughter on the SAT talent search - I can relate to epic fail with Google Maps.  Happens to me ALL the time!  ;-)  But that must have been frustrating to have her registered and then miss it due to something so silly.  Argh!  Thank goodness for second (and third, etc.) chances...

Since she is 7 and a long way from 13, have you thought about using MOOC's.   I can't see that there is that much difference between a completely online CC course and taking courses through MOOCs.

FWIW, I know nothing about CA, but every state we have lived in is going to require ACT, SAT, or Compass scores in order to enroll.   The scores are required for placement into classes.  

Since she is 7 and a long way from 13, have you thought about using MOOC's.   I can't see that there is that much difference between a completely online CC course and taking courses through MOOCs.

FWIW, I know nothing about CA, but every state we have lived in is going to require ACT, SAT, or Compass scores in order to enroll.   The scores are required for placement into classes.  

I have actually thought about MOOCs - that is a good option.   The only issue is that she will do the college level course work and then not get credit - so in the future if she wants to get credit, she will have to re-take those classes...which seems redundant.

I also wondered about enrolling her in an accredited high school program online.  I don't think she's quite ready for college coursework, but definitely ready for high school.  I guess I was sort of planning - if she'll be ready in 4 years for college level work, then is it better to get the HS diploma from an accredited school (work towards that now) - or is that not an issue of concern?

Now that I see the CHSPE is an option, that is something to consider for the future - not now, but I can see that in the near-ish future...

In CA, all that is required to attend Community College is a high school diploma or age of 18.  There is no SAT/ACT requirement.  From the CC, there are admissions guarantees (Transfer Admission Guarantee - TAG) into UC and CSU campuses - not for UCLA and Berkeley, but for the other ones...  

For placement at all the Community Colleges I have researched, you can just take a placement test for appropriate course level.  

This is all a bit theoretical at this point, I understand that.  I am just a planner and interested in researching the possibilities to see what our options are moving forward.  Thanks for the input!

I have actually thought about MOOCs - that is a good option. The only issue is that she will do the college level course work and then not get credit - so in the future if she wants to get credit, she will have to re-take those classes...which seems redundant.

Many universities have general placement tests and/or placements on an individual basis decided by the department head/dean. She would not receive college credit for a MOOC but she also would most likely not have to repeat the course.

This can actually be very beneficial because it allows the student to start at a much higher level which can open up course options or allow for enrolling in graduate classes as an undergrad.

What I am doing (also in CA but not SoCal) is calling up CCs and asking point blank. But even then I expect things to be different when we approach them face to face. When asking be sure to specify you are looking for online classes. I have had two friends so far being denied admission for their younger-than-13yos but the CCs relenting when both called again to specify they were looking for only online courses. Only one kid needed to mention the proficiency cert (CHSPE) in the application. The other kid was 12, just a few months shy of 13, and I believe the college agreed that a placement test was enough. I think it also helped that the kids were advocating for themselves most of the time. It's too arbitrary though to be mentioning CC names. I think it will really depend on a case by case basis.

We are looking for IRL experiences so it might be harder for us. Keeping fingers crossed.

You also may want to look into lifelong learner programs or other programs that allow auditing for state residents (usually senior citizens). My DD started auditing college science classes at age 8 through such a program (distance learning) with the support of a professor who advocated for her. It doesn't lead to credit, but in her case, it's the content she needs anyway, and there are enough options that it's doubtful that she'll ever end up taking exactly the same class twice (the classes she's audited so far are ones offered only "alternate Spring semesters" or similar and which are available distance so they're accessible from multiple state campuses, because otherwise, they wouldn't have enough students to be offered at all).

If you want online high school classes, there are plenty of excellent ones to choose from.  AoPS is excellent for math.   PA Homeschoolers has great AP classes.   Derek Owens offers math and science.   Lukeion and Lone Pine both offer Latin.   Signum Academy/Signum University has started high school classes.   My only experience is with their course packs for Latin.   That professor is excellent.

FWIW, I know nothing about CA and their articulation agreements between universities and CCs, but almost every university my ds applied to this yr will not grant credit for online college classes.   Their transfer agreements stipulate in person on a college campus.   Many of the more select schools don't accept any transfer credit (though some will grant credit for certain AP exams, or at least use the AP exams for placement purposes).    While they don't accept credit, they do what Butler stated.   They allow students to take departmental placement exams.  So, in essence, students do not have to repeat any coursework, but simultaenously they do not receive advanced standing either.   Basically, they still have to the same number of credit hours for the degree--they simply start at a different level.

Most CCs use the Compass exam as their placement test. 

FWIW, I am graduating my 4th homeschooler this yr and none of my kids have ever earned an accredited diploma.  I am so not a traditional school person and school at home would drive me totally bonkers.   I am not joking when I say I could never do school at home.   That is what you have to do with the vast majority of accredited diploma programs.   The only thing we worry about is the quality of college classes.   We have our kids take most dual enrolled classes through a 4 yr university.   We have been completely unhappy with the quality of the vast majority of CC classes.  

In California, CC courses marked UC/CSU are guaranteed to transfer into the UC and Cal State schools. Whether or not they transfer into a private college would depend on the particular school.

SAT/ACT scores are not needed for students who have passed the CHSPE, but a younger HS student who hasn't taken the CHSPE probably would want to have scores on file to prove readiness for CC courses. If DD were ready to enroll in CC full-time, I'd go ahead and have her take the CHSPE. But she's not quite there yet in all academic subjects (mathwise she's only in Singapore 8A, or the equivalent of algebra 1) and definitely not ready from an emotional maturity standpoint.

Also, do you have the scores/paperwork to get her into DYS? This is exactly the sort of situation that a lot of people deal with on those boards.

No - honestly, I have not even really looked into DYS at all.  I probably should, right?  I thought about getting her tested (IQ, etc.) - but then decided not to bc of the expense of private testing, and because I didn't know what I would do with the results (as in, it woudn't change anything).  Right now she is working between 6-10 grade levels ahead in her subjects...this is without me pushing at all.  In many ways, she is an autodidact.

I am one of those people who decided to homeschool after realizing having her in mainstream school was not working.  We actually moved out of our home that we own (40 miles away) and rented a house here, JUST for the school district.  So, I was disappointed when it didn't work out.  On top of that, she has a Fall Birthday, so I held her back a year for social reasons (doh!) and she did DK and then Kindergarten in public school.  By Kindergarten, she was reading at 6th grade reading level and teaching herself algebra, and it's just gone up from there.  I did not teach her to read or how to do algebra, etc. - she started memorizing books at age 2 upon first reading, and then figured it out...

Anyway - but that is sidenote.  No, I have not checked out DYS.  I have always wondered what being part of a group like that would benefit...most of the classes I have looked into for gifted kids all seem extremely expensive - and my daughter really does learn best through self-directed study...particularly through computer-based education.

What about Stanford Online High School? I only know the CC policies in San Diego County, which are more HS friendly.

I looked into Stanford Online HS - but it seemed very expensive.  

One of the reasons that the CCs here in CA appeal to me is the low tuition cost.  I think maybe MOOCs might be an avenue to explore - I hadn't thought about the fact that she could test out of some of the coursework or be placed above it with placement tests later - so as not to have to repeat material.  That sounds like a great option to me!

That would also give her the option to try things out without being tied to a grade and having to follow-through.  I would say A LOT of what she starts, she gets 80% of the way through and then gets bored.  That is NOT going to work for college coursework - so that's a maturity thing.  

She likes to be intense about ONE thing for between two and five weeks, and then move on to the next thing.  Obviously, that is not something that is well-suited to a full-time course load in college.  That is why I was hoping for her to do only one or two CC classes at a time - since she would be able to study deeply one subject at a time - and not have to be spread out over several different things.  

I have also thought about just having her study for AP exams - and trying to get on a schedule to take those.  I wish they were more convenient (only offered once/year) - but anyway - that self-directed style of study and the ability to learn things quickly and at her own pace - is what suits her best (at least for now!)

thanks for listening. :-)

DYS will accept students who score high enough on the EXPLORE if they can demonstrate in a portfolio that they are working at a very advanced level. If there are no EXPLORE testing sites close to you, you can arrange individual testing through Belin-Blank but you would need a certified teacher who is not related to the child to proctor it. http://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/students/bests/Compare.aspx

HTH!

One of the reasons that the CCs here in CA appeal to me is the low tuition cost.

That would also give her the option to try things out without being tied to a grade and having to follow-through. I would say A LOT of what she starts, she gets 80% of the way through and then gets bored. That is NOT going to work for college coursework - so that's a maturity thing.

. :-)

Another thing to keep in mind is that CC courses could backfire and end up costing admission or more $$ in the long run. Students can't selectively report college classes. They are obligated to report them all. Those grades will follow them wherever they go. A child lacking the maturity of consistent follow through could end up with a low grade and some institutions even factor those grades into college GPA. This issue is discussed quite a bit amg people applying to college bc a bad grade from an early age dual enrolled course comes back to haunt them.

DD needs foreign language credits to graduate high school and she wants to learn a language that I can't teach her. There's no Rosetta Stone or Duolingo for ASL. I can ask about auditing but I'm not sure that the CC would let her enroll in higher level ASL courses if she has only audited the lower level ones.

Where DYS helps is that there are families there who have dealt with almost any school in the country and can let you know which ones may be receptive and aren't. The amount of knowledge on those boards and e-lists is huge.  And unlike EPGY or CTY, their services are free or relatively inexpensive.

We did the EXPLORE/Portfolio option, but we're in Duke's Talent search zone, so the EXPLORE is offered for all talent search dates, plus at most public middle schools and extra dates for middle schoolers to re-take, because it's used by the magnet high schools and some private high schools for admissions purposes.

DD needs foreign language credits to graduate high school and she wants to learn a language that I can't teach her. There's no Rosetta Stone or Duolingo for ASL. I can ask about auditing but I'm not sure that the CC would let her enroll in higher level ASL courses if she has only audited the lower level ones.

I think in this case, taking an ASL classes in CC - your daughter would be fine.  It's not like it's an advanced literary analysis class, kwim?  For ASL - it's very suited to the younger learner.  When I was in 2nd grade, my best friend was deaf and she taught me sign language in a year - by the end of the school year, I was completely fluent - so anyway - it's just one of those languages that is good for younger learners bc there is no handwriting requirement and no need to conjugate verbs.  I say: go for it!

Where DYS helps is that there are families there who have dealt with almost any school in the country and can let you know which ones may be receptive and aren't. The amount of knowledge on those boards and e-lists is huge.  And unlike EPGY or CTY, their services are free or relatively inexpensive.

We did the EXPLORE/Portfolio option, but we're in Duke's Talent search zone, so the EXPLORE is offered for all talent search dates, plus at most public middle schools and extra dates for middle schoolers to re-take, because it's used by the magnet high schools and some private high schools for admissions purposes.

That is really great information - thank you!  When I looked into the other gifted programs, it seemed like:  "Hey, your child is gifted.  Now fork over $5k for the opportunity to take this class about blah blah blah" - which, I did not see the point in that! LOL.  I am in Mensa - I actually joined just so I could discover more opportunities for my daughters - and so far, it's not been hugely helpful.  

Anyhoo - I think that my daughter might be too young for the EXPLORE option bc it says "3rd grade" for the EXPLORE test on the DYS website - but maybe would try anyway.  I can't justify spending $1500 for the IQ testing - which is what I was quoted by a local gifted center here when I checked into it awhile back.  I mean, I might if everything else came up short - I just wanted to explore (hahaha) other options before going into expensive testing.  It sounds like the EXPLORE testing is reasonably affordable.  So yay!  Thank you!

That is really great information - thank you!  When I looked into the other gifted programs, it seemed like:  "Hey, your child is gifted.  Now fork over $5k for the opportunity to take this class about blah blah blah" - which, I did not see the point in that! LOL.  I am in Mensa - I actually joined just so I could discover more opportunities for my daughters - and so far, it's not been hugely helpful.  

Anyhoo - I think that my daughter might be too young for the EXPLORE option bc it says "3rd grade" for the EXPLORE test on the DYS website - but maybe would try anyway.  I can't justify spending $1500 for the IQ testing - which is what I was quoted by a local gifted center here when I checked into it awhile back.  I mean, I might if everything else came up short - I just wanted to explore (hahaha) other options before going into expensive testing.  It sounds like the EXPLORE testing is reasonably affordable.  So yay!  Thank you!

I wouldn't spend $1500, but $450 (with the doc in Laguna Beach) to have some outside validation for programs/services/CC may be worthwhile. 

If you do decide to test, you might look at this doc in Laguna Beach. He comes well regarded by the DYS community and has reasonable rates.

http://www.palmerlearning.com/

Thanks for the pointer. I am looking for a reasonably priced tester. We are not close to this tester, but it might be doable if I cannot find someone closer.

Will that type of testing help for a CC?

I don't really know. Homeschoolers in San Diego County don't seem to have as much trouble taking CC classes as the OP seems to be experiencing in LA County. The testing might be a way in, or to leverage the resources of groups like Davidson. I just didn't want her to think the only option was $1500 when there are more reasonable options in Southern California. Whether the testing is actually worth it, I can't say. My son is still too young IMO for testing, and I haven't really seen much point. But, that may change down the road.

I find the easiest route to be to start with the people. Make a contact with a teacher (in an area of strength) at the school, have your dc speak for themselves. Finding someone within the system to advocate for your child(ren) seems effective. Mostly though, make sure you have a good sense of why you want the CC access and whether that is the best pathway.

FWIW for both CC and high school options for elementary students nobody has cared about iq scores. School and state tests, compass are all anyone asks to see.

These are all great viewpoints.  Thank you!  I never want to subject my daughter to testing unless it's for a good reason.  The Davidson program sounds like it could be good - just as a place to find other parents who understand what it is like to have a child with similar struggles and strengths.  I always hesitate a little, as well, because I have two other children (younger) - who may be gifted - but who have their own struggles within family dynamics.  I know that sounds a little vague - but anyway - I try really hard to have a balance with all the siblings - and not single one out.  

It is definitely a balance between nurturing the gifts of one child - and at the same time, keeping the whole family in mind and not promoting categorization (this child is the smart one, this one is the athletic one, etc.) - so, I definitely have to think about it.  That's why *I* joined Mensa, instead of petitioning for my kids to join - because my kids can benefit without wondering if so and so is smarter or "more special" than another.

Obviously, it's not so black and white - I just don't want to create conflict or jealousy between my children unless there is a very (VERY) good reason.  I aim to parent to their strengths - the child I'm talking about in this thread is the oldest, and is naturally a very sweet, not jealous person.  Her immediate younger sister (middle child) is VERY jealous - so...I tread lightly on issues - and would really beat myself up if my eldest got into Davidson and my middle did not for whatever reason.

Perhaps that is oversharing. Haha.  I have three kids and they are the BEST of friends (hardly ever argue) - and I protect that very fiercely.

• 4 months later...

I have a 7 year old MENSA youth that will begin auditing a class at Cal Lutheran next school year. It seems that the private colleges are more willing to allow these academically efficient children attend. I'm starting with auditing as a number of MENSA youth began with it until the college believed that the kid belonged there. Start with the dean of the group you want to attend. Additionally, if your child is a MENSA child there are a number of online opportunities for efficient learners (Stanford University's EPGY is my son's favorite for math and language arts).

The perception out there is that we parents are pushing these kids and they aren't ready. You have to start with slow steps - remember, not everyone you encounter is academically efficient! 

Azusa Pacific is offering a cohort program for gifted kids to start taking college classes for credit online this fall in humanities areas, with no age limits. We're not pursuing it because for my DD it's more valuable for her, at this point, to get the science content and research experience at a higher level than to get college credit hours, but it might be a good choice for the OP to consider.

On the EXPLORE, my DD took it having just turned 8, when she would have been a 2nd grader by age-there aren't 2nd grade norms, but her scores have been readily accepted by programs for higher grade levels where she meets the cutoff, including DYS-take the 3rd grade scores as "lowest level accepted for age 5-9" and you'll be fine. I couldn't register her online, but an e-mail to Belin-Blank took care of it-they had me register her as a 4th grader, than manually revised her grade so the score report reflected it. They're much easier, IMO, to work with compared to TIPS or CTY, and don't have any fees except the tests themselves unless you take classes for them, which is nice when you don't really plan to use much they offer anyway.

Thanks, guys!  Right now, I have sort of put this idea on the back burner and just see how things are in a few years.  She is really enjoying a few online classes (non-credit) and just doing her own thing: reading books, textbooks, etc.  Learning is so fun for her - I have decided to wait for her to do anything formal or with a grade letter, since that would probably cause her some anxiety and also take the fun out of it.  All the hoop jumping to try to get her formally admitted did not seem worth it, since she has been able to find other paths of learning that are equally (more?) exciting.  We'll see what the next few years bring - it is so great to have so many options!  

I didn't scan through the later posts, so I am sorry if this is redundant information. Families that are considering the TAG program through CA CC should be aware that UCSD is no longer participating in this program. So, to recap, any UC campus EXCEPT UCSD, UCLA, UCB are available for TAG.

I didn't scan through the later posts, so I am sorry if this is redundant information. Families that are considering the TAG program through CA CC should be aware that UCSD is no longer participating in this program. So, to recap, any UC campus EXCEPT UCSD, UCLA, UCB are available for TAG.

Can you TAG your way in using dual-enrolled courses? Meaning, would they allow you to TAG into, say, UCSB if you got all the pre-req's done through dual enrollment?

Can you TAG your way in using dual-enrolled courses? Meaning, would they allow you to TAG into, say, UCSB if you got all the pre-req's done through dual enrollment?

I am not sure if it works for dual-enrollment courses.  There is a worksheet involved - and each school is different.  Typically, you need to be at Junior level (two years complete at CC) before the transfer happens - you apply after your first year of full-time enrollment at CC to be eligible...not that it HAS to be full-time enrollment - I just mean that credit-wise, there is a minimum (and maximum) number of credits.

I would probably want my kids to go to UCLA bc it's so close to where I live - so that's a bummer that it's not part of TAG - but if your child is in the honors college (at some CCs) - they can get preference in transfer admissions at UCLA/UCSD/Berkeley.  Depends on the CC and the agreement.  For me, my local CC has an agreement with UCLA for preferred transfer for kids in the honors college.  

My husband is a UCSD alum (regent's scholar) and he grew up in Santa Barbara (his mom still lives there) - so UCSD and UCSB would also be ones I'd consider.  I graduated from law school at Berkeley - and although it's a great school and all - it would not be my preference for my kids to go there. 

The interesting thing about TAG is that - if you're able to get into UCLA, Berkeley, or UCSD as a transfer (obviously without TAG) - then you really don't need TAG anyway for the other schools bc you would get in anyway, being that they are less competitive.  But it's nice having that safety...