Menu

Best Boxed (Secular or neutral curriculum) for middle/high (asking for a friend)

I have an acquaintance (I said friend in the title but we really don't know each other that well) who is considering homeschooling for next year.  She has asked for my help, but we are not heading in the same direction with this so I thought I would check in here.  

She would have an 8th grader and a 9th grader.  She has never homeschooled and is a single parent working from home.  She would like, for the first year anyway, something boxed that she can tweak as needed but is clearly laid out.  Although she has no real issue with religious based curriculum, she would prefer secular if possible.  One child is dyslexic, but remediating o.k. apparently.  Still not reading at grade level but learns quickly with DVD's and workbooks since she can work with them on workbooks.  She says she would not want an on-line class for this first year so they can control time constraints.  

Any suggestions?  She says she has heard of something called Starline Press Curriculum and wondered about it.  I have never heard of it.  Help?

Just to add, she really seems like a nice person in a bit of a difficult situation.  She has had a tough year and is trying to find a better path for her and her kids.   I would like to help.  I asked her for more clarification and she says she would like science neutral materials but the rest can be more religious in origin.  Not sure exactly what her beliefs, if any, are.  Even if she had to separate out the science, does anyone have a suggestion?  For either?

I'm a Starline Press authorized reseller. If she decides to go with SP I sell it cheaper than SP or Rainbow Resources.

I use it for my 8 yr old who is a workbook kinda girl.

I didn't realize there was such a thing!  Learn something new every day.

Can you tell me a little more about Starline Press so I can give her more detail?  

It's workbook based and the kids work at their own pace. It's basically ACE with the religion stripped out of it. The booklets are higher quality, heavy weight paper.

We have used CLE (still do for math) and switched to ACE. I'm ok with religion but my DH was not. He requested I find something secular for history and science. I couldn't find ANYTHING workbook based that was secular. I asked on this forum about it and someone suggested Starline Press. I looked at it, but balked because the price is high. I'm not going to lie, it is expensive. BUT, like my DH said, it's a LOT cheaper than paying for private school. I ordered one subject because I didn't want to invest in it and have to sell it on ebay if we didn't like it.

My daughter loved it, so I ordered other subjects. The only place I had been able to find it other then directly through Starline Press was Rainbow Resources. I was sure there must be a demand for workbook based, secular curriculum and asked SP about tapping into the homeschool community. I signed up to become an authorized reseller.

Rainbow Resources has links on their site where you can see samples. http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=2&category=3739

A normal 8th grader can handle the 9th grade GENERAL diploma option, but I don't know about an LD student. American School will accept 8th grade age students, if the parent writes "N/A homeschooled" when asked about 8th grade graduation.

It's been over 10 years since I used American School and I'm sure some things have changed, but it was AWESOME for my oldest. American School was the single biggest resource that enabled my son to reach his goals. I cannot say enough good things about AS.

A normal 8th grader can handle the 9th grade GENERAL diploma option, but I don't know about an LD student. American School will accept 8th grade age students, if the parent writes "N/A homeschooled" when asked about 8th grade graduation.

It's been over 10 years since I used American School and I'm sure some things have changed, but it was AWESOME for my oldest. American School was the single biggest resource that enabled my son to reach his goals. I cannot say enough good things about AS.

I know virtually nothing about America School.  Thanks for the feedback, Hunter.  

I know virtually nothing about America School. Thanks for the feedback, Hunter.

It's $75.00 a month now. I know it wasn't that expensive in the past.

https://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/cost

And the general program was a bit easier. Algebra 1 could be taken as an elective, but it wasn't required.

The option of online classes is nice, but the higher price isn't.

My oldest just did the general program and all business electives. He worked more than he did school work. At 16 he graduated and started putting himself through junior college, again with all business electives. He was a straight C student, and did the least possible, but at 19 he had a degree and was financially independant. He took off for Las Vegas, and did just fine there. At 24 he was stable enough to marry and build a house.

I'm sorry to see the price increase. No wonder I hear less about it, now. The people who would like it the most are not able to afford it.

Sigh! Yet another oldschool resource that got "improved" and is no longer what is was. You ladies have it SO much harder than we did.

I would suggest Starline Press as well, it would be very hands off for her, provide a decent education, and be easy to implement...as well as meet her desire for secular curriculum.  We have used a couple of units and liked them, I thought they were well done, and we plan on using more in the future.