Menu

Help with injured husband

Susie in SWVA

My dh fell on ice last Thursday and broke his wrist and fractured his pelvis.  He is a very social person (unlike me) and his job is such that he spends a lot of time with and talking to people.  He is going to be laid up up to six weeks, although he is moving around some,  The problem - he is going crazy and is getting himself depressed.  He has trouble with depression in the winter anyway, but can usually keep it under control.  My question - what can I do to keep him busy and happy and pleasant?  This is really disrupting our school day.

TIA

Thank you for the suggestions.   Dh sees the doctor on Friday, so I think we will talk about meds for depression.  He is already on some, but maybe they can switch it up a bit, temporarily.  Skype is a good idea.  As far as sports go, he doesn't follow them.  He is more of an individual sports person (bicycling, swimming, running, tai chi).  The Olympics is coming just at the right time!  He can't work from home - he is a nurse anesthetist, chief as a matter of fact.

As far as school, the library might be a good idea and I would love for my dh to get more involved in school.  I have homeschooled for around 25 years and he never has, but maybe I can push a bit.  :-)

Seasonal depression can be complicated, but the strength and spectrum of the light he is exposed to might be one factor.

If you think that's likely, try:

- Open his curtains wide, daily.

- Use mirrors to direct or redirect natural light in his general direction.

- Exactly how stationary is he? Maybe move him from place to place around the house if possible. Try to find an outdoor location that is workable (lounge chair on a porch?)

- At pet stores they sell full-spectrum "grow lights" that are fluorescent, but fit a regular light socket. This is a good type of light to have around all winter, but it might be particularly useful to him.

Guest submarines

could he do a mini-anatomy course with your dc?  something that is his rather than helping with what you usually do?  it could be some fun time with the kids...

hth,

ann

That's what I thought too--that he could do something unique to him. Even if play board games and chess. Despite the injury this could be a special time for the kids when Daddy is home. If it were me, I'd slow down homeschooling and focus on what we could do as a family to make the best out of a difficult time.

What about watching more documentaries and discussing them? Researching topics that you normally wouldn't? Having an intellectual adventure or a virtual trip around the world via documentaries, Google Earth, ethnic foods and discussing everything--politics, culture, geography, folklore and so on.

could he do a mini-anatomy course with your dc?  something that is his rather than helping with what you usually do?  it could be some fun time with the kids...

hth,

ann

This is a great idea!  Whatever it is, it should be something that is totally *his* - that way you will not be tempted to express any opinions about how he is doing it/not doing it/etc......

Anne

So sorry about your DH accident. 

We were in this postion a few years ago. We carried on with school in a room he could hear us and comment if he felt the need to.  :laugh: 

He was not up to doing any schooling himself, but i did cut back a bit on my son's schedules and they spent quite a bit of time playing chinese checkers with their Dad.  I had a comfy chair in the bedroom which invited lots of conversation time when he was up to it. 

Reading a novel outloud would have been something they might have enjoyed had I thought of it at the time!

Defintately take the initiative and invite folks over to visit with him.  Many friends just didn't know when the right time was and I think they would have come over more had I called them.