Menu

Dangerous food allergies--help needed!

Laurie4b

I am writing for help for a friend. She had started a gluten-free, etc. diet. However, GF store--bought stuff  is often high in soy . She is pretty sure that soy is a trigger and ended up with an epi-pen. Yesterday, she got a similar reaction to Coke Zero. She has unfortunately mostly preferred to eat out, and now is not only having to cook, but cook from scratch.

What are the safest foods to eat when a body is in hyper-sensitivity mode?  Are there any clean foods should she avoid?

Thanks for the help.

If she can't figure what caused the reaction, she could cut the top 8, or even just eat meat, fruit, veggie for a while.

What are the top 8? She is a total newbie to this allergy stuff.

She is nearly certain soy is one. But what would be in Coke Zero? (I don't drink soda--I've never seen the ingredient list!)

I am writing for help for a friend. She had started a gluten-free, etc. diet. However, GF store--bought stuff  is often high in soy . She is pretty sure that soy is a trigger and ended up with an epi-pen. Yesterday, she got a similar reaction to Coke Zero. She has unfortunately mostly preferred to eat out, and now is not only having to cook, but cook from scratch.

What are the safest foods to eat when a body is in hyper-sensitivity mode?  Are there any clean foods should she avoid?

Thanks for the help.

Milk. It may not be listed but coke products have a trace of milk in the caramel coloring. A friend had a lot of trouble and it took forever to figure it out.

I had a friend who pretty much went on a vegan diet and slowly added in food as she could tolerate, but she could avoid soy. For me too much acidic food will cause a reaction so I have to stay away from most citus fruits and tomatoes.

look for elimination diet or GAPS diet as a place to start. If your body needs to heal, you should eliminate every 'artificial' food.  Drink water, maybe with some lemon juice in it.  Eat plain foods. Roast chicken with potatoes. sauteed veggies and meat - careful, most soy sauce has wheat.  Cream of rice.  bland, plain, boring food is the best way to start.  then once you feel better, add foods slowly.  

its a long slow process.  I did it 7 years ago, but ended up adding things pretty fast eventually - now i'm feeling bad and kinda need to start the whole process over, but i'm not quite ready yet . . .its a really hard thing to do.  But the good news is - the option to feel healthy is entirely in your power.  

look for elimination diet or GAPS diet as a place to start. If your body needs to heal, you should eliminate every 'artificial' food.  Drink water, maybe with some lemon juice in it.  Eat plain foods. Roast chicken with potatoes. sauteed veggies and meat - careful, most soy sauce has wheat.  Cream of rice.  bland, plain, boring food is the best way to start.  then once you feel better, add foods slowly.  

its a long slow process.  I did it 7 years ago, but ended up adding things pretty fast eventually - now i'm feeling bad and kinda need to start the whole process over, but i'm not quite ready yet . . .its a really hard thing to do.  But the good news is - the option to feel healthy is entirely in your power.  

Agreed. And she can look up stuff on the internet by searching "hidden sources of gluten" and things like that. It's amazing what it can be in--there are lists to help with that (and yes, they are intimidating at first). Even some medicines that don't have gluten ingredients have traces because of their processing (a pharmacist might be able to help with that). She should also avoid regular oatmeal, opting for gluten free oatmeal instead (Trader Joe's, Bob's Red Mill, etc. have gluten free options).

FARE is a really good resource.

Unfortunately, with severe allergies, a lot of changes do need to be made. For us, it involved major changes in eating out and cooking from scratch completely. It is a pain and an adjustment. Luckily, more resources are available now.

Enjoy Life foods avoid the 8 most common allergens. It's a good way to get chocolate!

Personal hygiene products can also have hidden gluten. Dealing with food allergies can be very overwhelming and intimidating even if you're used to cooking from scratch. I would suggest she stop eating out all together right now, including not eating in other people's homes. Has she replaced her cutting boards, toaster, plastic/silicone utensils since going GF? How about things like jelly or butter spread that may be contaminated with crumbs?