Menu

Favorite Geometry for math-y 7th grader?

Halcyon

DS11 will be finishing Algebra 1 this year with TabletClass. He likes it--I like the independence, and we'll probably continue with TabletClass Geometry. But I would like to compare other curriculums just in case.

DS is a linear thinker, logical, precise, doesn't need a lot of review.

Thanks Julie. We tried AoPS Pre-A and it wasn't a fit. My guess is the Geometry won't be either. He's a Dolciani kind of guy LOL but we switched him to TabletClass because John Z solves all the problems on a whiteboard, and it's really helpful for him to see exactly where his mistakes are. 

Listening in for dd12 who will hopefully be doing geometry next school year as independent study with a high school teacher.  I'm hoping the teacher will be open to using another text, probably AoPS, but I'd like to have a few backup choices.  At all costs, I do not want dd to use the Prentice Hall geometry text that the school uses in its regular geometry class as I've read some bad reviews.

:lurk5:  

This is what I have used with my kids:

http://www.chalkdust.com/geomoutnew.html

The text is great.

Long story, but late last night, I saw a very old thread about a text by Solomonovich - I'm assuming you did not end up trying that?  (eta, I think the thread was older than the publication date of this edition that I found on Amazon... for those interested, there is a very extensive preview available on Amazon - seems to be virtually the entire book - as well as a TM available, though I wonder if it's more appropriate for a math teacher situation than a homeschooling one)

Critical Thinking Company, they have also 'Mathematical Reasoning' for Middle School.

I have this.  I think it's going to be awesome.  I'm usually fine with minimalist texts, but with geometry I need color pictures!  This has good color pictures, diagrams, but it's not glossy paper.  It's meaty but easy to use and understand.  

This is billed as for grades 7-9, for use as a middle school supplement or a "regular" (i.e. non-honors?) geometry class.  I'm guessing we'll want another geometry text at some point, but this is great to do alongside prealgebra - the first 7 chapters cover what AoPS does in the PreA book (in more detail, in some cases) and the last 5 chapters are higher-level geometry.  It has a chapter on proofs and it walks you through how to construct them in a really clear, step-by-step way.  

So it's kind of Pre-Geometry, I guess?  Well worth it.

If he's a Dolciani guy he might enjoy Jurgensen's. Duke TiP offers an independent study package with a syllabus broken into assignments, exams, solutions etc.

http://tip.duke.edu/node/159

It's more expensive than Tablet Class though. Kiddo found it rigorous with proofs but he did have a tutor to work with (we didn't buy it via TiP). Although the page recommends one, you don't need to go buy a calculator just for this. If absolutely necessary (kiddo didn't find it so) you could use GeoGebra.

One approach that helped kiddo with formulating his proofs was using one of these index card organizer thingies and having the theorems, postulates etc noted there for easy reference (I usually helped write them out for him).

Good luck!

I like this one, by Chakerian, Crabill, & Stein: http://www.morton-pub.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=98 (Chakerian and Stein were math profs at UC Davis, I believe.)
I like other ones, too: we also have the James Tanton book and Jacobs (first edition), both also good (although I myself like the Tanton more as a source of cool problems, and would rather use one of the others for a primary text).

Lots of possibilities in this thread!  Hope you find something you both like.

We used Jacobs' Geometry (3rd ed) after algebra 1 for a "younger" student, and it worked great for us.  It has what I'd characterize as a medium amount of proving results -- not primarily a proofs-based approach but enough to develop some competence and understand the logic,  The book is also very visually appealing.  I would, however, not use the algebra review and would look to some other source, such as another algebra 1 book or starting into algebra 2 in parallel later in the year, or using KhanAcademy.org.  I'd also look into doing some data analysis/probability/statistics in parallel as a lot of newer algebra and geometry books in the US are doing in the last 10-20 years.  Best wishes. 

My DS is doing Jacobs with Derek Owens and is doing well.  I love how he makes them take notes in their books as they watch the lectures!  I think it has really helped grasp the material!  I also love how he gets back to you quickly with graded material and sends you a report on how they are doing.  I recommend it!

Jacobs Geometry 2nd edition looks like it could be a fit but I can't find a preview online...and the teacher's manual and answer key is really, really hard to find. There's a copy on amazon for 50 bucks...but I'd rather not pay that. I want to look at Holt online--does anyone know where I can see a preview?

I used Jacobs 2nd ed with my Aspie. He begged me to let him move to another book. Any book. Just let him stop using that book. It was interesting bc he had never complained about a single book before and it wasn't bc it was hard. Jacobs is very chatty and the verbose nature of the lessons drove him crazy. He wanted something that just got to the point already.

I looked to see if I could find an online view of the text I linked, but I couldn't find one. All I found was a syllabus for a university. It is a college textbook, straightforward explanations, and great proofs. It does not include alg review, though, which could be a problem for some students.

http://www.mathematics.uh.edu/undergraduate/courses/math1312/index.php. (My kids would have loved it if I had only assigned that few number of problems.)

I looked to see if I could find an online view of the text I linked, but I couldn't find one. All I found was a syllabus for a university. It is a college textbook, straightforward explanations, and great proofs. It does not include alg review, though, which could be a problem for some students.

http://www.mathematics.uh.edu/undergraduate/courses/math1312/index.php. (My kids would have loved it if I had only assigned that few number of problems.)

I must have missed the post where you linked to this-you like Elementary Geometry for College Students?

Jacobs Geometry 2nd edition looks like it could be a fit but I can't find a preview online...and the teacher's manual and answer key is really, really hard to find. There's a copy on amazon for 50 bucks...but I'd rather not pay that. I want to look at Holt online--does anyone know where I can see a preview?

http://books.google.com/books?id=XhQRgZRDDq0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=978-0716717454&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dVfuUpLhOMmfrAGXzoGoDw&ved=0CEIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false Jacobs 2nd ed preview at google books

It's one of those books I'd like to pick up, just to have, but not for so much.  There was a discussion a while back on the high school board about whether Jacobs was going to find a way to get more published; let me see if I can find it...http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/478021-harold-jacobs-geometry-and-elementary-algebra-out-of-print/  

The authors have a different book available in multiple editions, Elementary Geometry for College Students by Alexander and Koeberlein.  I wonder whether it might be essentially the same book inside, for preview purposes, even though it's a different title/ISBN - I found a preview for the latest, 5th ed.

The authors have a different book available in multiple editions, Elementary Geometry for College Students by Alexander and Koeberlein. I wonder whether it might be essentially the same book inside, for preview purposes, even though it's a different title/ISBN - I found a preview for the latest, 5th ed.

I pulled out our book and looked through chpt 6 (random) and they are identical except our book is not in color.

Can anyone comment on the mid-80s Jurgensen?  They have interesting, yet mixed, reviews though it's impossible to tell which reviews are for which editions (19801984, 1987, reviews are the same for 84 and 87).  New Edition has a TE of unspecified year, presumably early 80s because the late 80s are not called New Edition.  Eta, ack! the reviews for the 1980 are the same as for the 2000 edition.

My 7th grader is using tablet class geometry. He will probably finish that out in the next month and we will spend the rest of the year doing AoPS geometry in select topics the rest of the year.

He did AoPS algebra, but it is a hard curriculum to get through in a reasonable amount of time for a kid not excited about spending hours and hours on math. That was a great curriculum and he did well with it, but it took us forever to get through that book. This is a good compromise for us. I've been happy with the relative rigor of Tablet Class.

My 7th grader is using tablet class geometry. He will probably finish that out in the next month and we will spend the rest of the year doing AoPS geometry in select topics the rest of the year.

He did AoPS algebra, but it is a hard curriculum to get through in a reasonable amount of time for a kid not excited about spending hours and hours on math. That was a great curriculum and he did well with it, but it took us forever to get through that book. This is a good compromise for us. I've been happy with the relative rigor of Tablet Class.

How does he like it? I am thinking TabletClass and also the Understanding Geometry book and Patty Paper Geo for fun. 

The authors have a different book available in multiple editions, Elementary Geometry for College Students by Alexander and Koeberlein.  I wonder whether it might be essentially the same book inside, for preview purposes, even though it's a different title/ISBN - I found a preview for the latest, 5th ed.

That looks good! Is there an answer key available?

How does he like it? I am thinking TabletClass and also the Understanding Geometry book and Patty Paper Geo for fun.

He likes it quite a bit! I do like having the time to work with a book for a bit. Maybe for my own sense of fun - I have a math degree. I think the topics are good. The tests are pretty well written - we've found a couple minor quirks with the. Also, just having canned tests he can do and go through has been great. Sometimes it just reveals he needs another go around with some more examples.

Good luck with your choices! :)

Can anyone comment on the mid-80s Jurgensen?  They have interesting, yet mixed, reviews though it's impossible to tell which reviews are for which editions (19801984, 1987, reviews are the same for 84 and 87).  New Edition has a TE of unspecified year, presumably early 80s because the late 80s are not called New Edition.  Eta, ack! the reviews for the 1980 are the same as for the 2000 edition.

I have a copy of the 1987 edition, but we haven't used it yet as Ds14 wanted to stick with Harold Jacobs for geometry. I really like how Jurgensen is organized, and I'm leaning toward using it with my next two kids, who should hit geometry around the same time. If you have any specific questions about this edition, just let me know.