Menu

Starting to map out high school

My son is in 6th grade this year, and I am looking ahead at high school to help plan out the junior high years. I homeschooled my daughter for 8th so I have an idea of where to start, but want to make sure we are making the most of our time before high school.

English is the subject I'm working on now. He is dyslexic and this subject has taken the bulk of our time, but I am hopeful that his foundation will enable him to succeed on grade level. We have read several works of literature this year and have mapped out the story arcs (a la Teaching the Classics), but haven't really worked on literary elements yet. I am about to take a break from full-length novels and do a crash-course in PS-style Lit with the 6th grade Elements of Literature worktext in preparation for the state testing in April.

He has done a lot of grammar but writing has been slow to develop. He is doing IEW's SWI-A right now and working pretty quickly through it, though my focus is more on structure than style at this point. I hope to get to Killgallon's Story Grammar for Elementary this year, which I think will be better for style anyway.

I own Lightning Lit 7 & 8, so I plan to do those over the next two years. I have the books, and as many audiobooks as I could find (still working on that). I have the schedules from Core Foundations and am making a list of supplemental reading/audiobooks to at least expose him to "classic" middle and high school lit even if we don't formally use it.

I have Figuratively Speaking on my radar but don't know when to use it - is it better to use it now for preparation, or wait? I also have The Elegant Essay , but I am unsure how to fit that in. LL 8 teaches the 5-paragraph essay with The Hobbit (I think) so maybe do Elegant Essay in 7th?

Please tell me what you think of this plan.

7th Grade

Lightning Lit 7:

Stories & Poems

All Creatures Great and Small

The Story of My Life (Helen Keller)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Supplemental:

Where the Red Fern Grows

The Outsiders

The Pearl

The Giver

The Elegant Essay???

8th Grade

Lightning Lit 8:

Stories & Poems

A Christmas Carol

A Day of Pleasure

My Family and Other Animals

Treasure Island

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Hobbit

Supplemental:

The Catcher in the Rye

White Fang

The Princess Bride

Romeo and Juliet

9th Grade

Windows to the World with Teaching the Classics

Hamlet

(Jill Pike recommends using To Kill a Mockingbird and Jane Eyre, but I'm thinking of using)

Great Expectations

Gulliver's Travels

Supplemental:

The Odyssey

Kafka's Metamorphosis

Dracula

Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The Sign of Four

10th Grade

Literary Lessons from LotR (not sure as he is not really into fantasy, but with audio it might work)

LotR trilogy

Beowulf

Arthurian legends

Supplemental: (we'll be doing world history)

Diary of a Young Girl

The Book Thief

The Good Earth

Things Fall Apart

The Help

11th Grade

Lightning Lit American Lit (2 semesters)

Moby Dick

Benjamin Franklin

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

The Red Badge of Courage

Huck Finn

The Call of the Wild

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Supplemental:

The Great Gatsby

The Scarlet Letter

Ethan Frome

My Antonia

Of Mice and Men

Death of a Salesman

12th Grade

Lori D.'s Sci-Fi and Gothic list ;)

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Frankenstein

The Time Machine

The Invisible Man

Animal Farm

Brave New World

Fahrenheit 451

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

War of the Worlds

I think it looks great! I love to have a plan :)

Like Susie said, though, plans often change.  Be flexible and if you find that your student isn't interested in a particular work, remember it's OK to change.  There are so many "great" books out there, you're sure to find one to suit each student.  We had just a few works that were required, the rest were based on our particular interests at the time.  

Well, personally, I *love* the title of your 12th grade Lit. plan. ;)

As the previous posters have commented, you've got some great lists of classics for each year, and it's good to keep it "in pencil" to help you stay flexible. Truly, anything more than a year out from your current year can start changing radically, as your DS will be changing dramatically over these years. :)

The only thing I would mention is that a high school English credit is usually compose of about 1/2 Lit. and 1/2 writing/composition, so you may want to be keeping an eye out to see if you need a bit more direction with the writing/composition along the way.

The writing instruction in LL7 and LL8 is VERY brief -- just 1-2 pages at the end of each unit. I would NOT rely on that to carry you through middle school. Will you be continuing with IEW? Or, perhaps you may want to use something different at that point, so you don't get stuck with too "formulaic" writing...

Jump In (gr. 6-9; Christian) worked well for our DS with "stealth dyslexia" (manifests in troubles with spelling and writing) while he was doing LL8. You might also try Wordsmith (gr. 6-8). Both are similar in that they are more informal, written directly to the student, gentle, and easy to implement. Jump In has more "meat" to it, but is longer.

Or, once you've completed IEW, if your DS is doing well with writing, and if you think he'd be a good fit for it, you might look at SWB's Writing With Ease series (grades (3-6) or Writing With Skill series (grades 5-8). They are much more formal programs, but they not only break down writing into steps of copying, narrating, to composing, but also include a few lessons in literary analysis). I linked random levels, so be sure to use the diagnostic test to determine placement.

You'll get good instruction on how to write a literary analysis essay, plus exercises and writing assignments, in Windows to the World, which is great to do right about when you have scheduled it. With the Jill Pike syllabus, that should be a nice full year of Lit. and Writing.

Elegant Essay is a good for in the later high school years, for honing writing skills, after Windows to the World. Many people outsource with an online class for composition for one of the high school years. For example, Laurel Tree Tutorials are expensive, but highly rated on these boards...

If you find you need a bit more hand-holding with the writing and assignment ideas to go with your literature in the high school years, you might check out the Excellence in Literature series.

You also may want to include other types of writing instruction/practice in the high school years:

- the research paper with citations, in MLA or APA or other required format

- practice of timed essays from past SAT essay prompts

- reader response paper (assignment in many college writing and lit courses)

- speech/debate (hones persuasive writing, supporting contention with facts, hook attention, etc.)

- college admission and scholarship essays

- resume

- business types of writing (letters of inquiry, recommendation, complaint; explanation of process; news article; etc.)

Not mentioning all this to overwhelm you, as you have a nice plan. Just ideas for future reference, in case you want more ideas. ;) Welcome to planning high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.