Menu

Favorite writing curriculums?

mom2denj

We use Just Write (which isn't often mentioned here).  It's workbook-based and very easy/open-and-go.  Includes very light grammar/mechanics.  Is more creative writing focused.

My DD works below grade level, so we're finishing up the 1st grade books (we've done Just Write About Me, working on Write About My World).  She loves them, they get her writing, so that's good enough for me!

Someone recently linked the Book Report forms from lovetolearn.net (IIRC) and I think we'll probably add those (1/month) for the rest of the year.

If we weren't using this, I'd probably use Essentials in Writing (EIW).

If you need integrated grammar and writing in perfectly scheduled lessons that are entirely doable, the Amish Climbing to Good English is very good. The series was written for untrained teenaged girls to teach in multi-graded classrooms.

If you have students just a little older than yours in need of a quick catch up, I like Write On! by Karen Newell. And I just like this curriculum in general. The TM is free and can be applied to any curriculum. It's available in hardcopy and eBook.

Free TM http://www.kid-friendly-homeschool-curriculum.com/support-files/writeoninstructorsguide.pdf

Language Lessons through Literature is good is you want a classical and CM mix that starts off with copywork and includes oral narrations. Hardcopy and eBooks. Most people are using level 1 with second graders and level 2 with third graders. There are 3 lessons a week for 36 weeks. Just a very nice all in one program. Very open and go. The author has a friendly yahoo group for support. http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/barefootragamuffins/conversations/messages

Understanding Writing is an oldschool, unapologetically Christian, and teaches most of writing through letter writing. Ellie really loves this one.

Spectrum Writing is something I used a bit in the past, but didn't fully understand or fall in love with until I saw the lower levels, as well as the upper levels that I had used. I now see the nice progression that puts both the lower and upper levels in context. Spectrum Writing reminds me of Evan Moor Daily Science. At first glance the curricula look like just cheesy workbooks, but after further study, the writers really knew what they were doing. Hardcopy and eBook.

I'm loving Brave Writer. WWE was a bust for us. Her stuff is skill levelled, so a 7 or 8 would be either Jot it Down or Partnership Writing. Some might even be at the next level. You need The Writers Jungle, which lays out philosophy and strategies in detail. Then, you can dream up your own projects, use the lit based programs, or use her level specific program, whatever works for you. Her approach is gentle, positive, immersive, and emphasizes style first then form later. Very Suzuki music for writing which is why we like it.

The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever Amazon link here has material I've never seen anywhere else. She really has every aspect of writing great narratives covered in this book (there is another for expository writing and so on, this one is teaching effective writing skills  focused on narratives and geared 2nd to 4th grade). The lessons are clear, effective, and engaging.

I love it. I would read about x, which was just the thing my writers were doing, and she would tell the reader/teacher to expect x from writers. Then, she gives me a lesson so I can teach them a better way. This happened to me over and over as I read the book.

I shared it with a homeschooling friend, and she has switched to it and feels the same way.

I've owned and used: WWE, WriteShop, CAP Writing and Rhetoric, and Essentials in Writing. I like certain things about most of those, but the one linked above is, in my opinion, the best. I plan to use her next book when we're done with this one.

The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever Amazon link here has material I've never seen anywhere else. She really has every aspect of writing great narratives covered in this book (there is another for expository writing and so on, this one is teaching effective writing skills  focused on narratives and geared 2nd to 4th grade). The lessons are clear, effective, and engaging.

I love it. I would read about x, which was just the thing my writers were doing, and she would tell the reader/teacher to expect x from writers. Then, she gives me a lesson so I can teach them a better way. This happened to me over and over as I read the book.

I shared it with a homeschooling friend, and she has switched to it and feels the same way.

I've owned and used: WWE, WriteShop, CAP Writing and Rhetoric, and Essentials in Writing. I like certain things about most of those, but the one linked above is, in my opinion, the best. I plan to use her next book when we're done with this one.

I don't write very well myself so therefore I have always shyed away from writing curriculums. I know I need to teach this but my I'm not very confident in my ability. Would this book help me to teach writing (walk me through or hold my hand so to speak)? Or would something else be better?