Menu

Taking too long on a subject

I have a bunch of kids but it is my 10 year old (she does have special needs so she is working at a grade 3ish level in most subjects) who takes forever to complete a task.  Now, it isn't that she can't understand the work but rather she gets so easily distracted (sometimes not even realizing she's flipped to the next assignment without finishing the first.)  It is driving me a little nuts as I have some really fun things I'd like to get to but we never seem to get to them as she can't seem to get anything finished.  Should I just give her X amount of time and then the stuff not finished gets done on the weekends -- sort of like homework, do I continue to let her drag her feet and take forever?  Really, two pages of reading comprehension should not take 8 hours (and she only got one page done in the end)  Part of me wonders if she is dragging it out so she can get away with not doing much....

My first suggestion would be to figure out a way to monitor her more closely.  If you are right there tapping the page each time she gets distracted then she should be able to stay on task better.  Even if you have several dc you are trying to teach I would say she needs to be at your elbow the whole time even if you aren't directly teaching her. If noise is an issue for her get her a pair of noise cancelling headphones. 

My second suggestion would be to make sure that she is getting plenty of breaks and that you are alternating more taxing subjects with lighter subjects.  If there are certain subjects that she tends to get more bogged down in or looses focus in then break the lessons up into two shorter sessions separated by a short break or a fun activity. 

If she is dragging it out on purpose then your constant supervision, monitoring and keeping her on task should fix the problem immediately.  

I have a bunch of kids but it is my 10 year old (she does have special needs so she is working at a grade 3ish level in most subjects) who takes forever to complete a task.  Now, it isn't that she can't understand the work but rather she gets so easily distracted (sometimes not even realizing she's flipped to the next assignment without finishing the first.)  It is driving me a little nuts as I have some really fun things I'd like to get to but we never seem to get to them as she can't seem to get anything finished.  Should I just give her X amount of time and then the stuff not finished gets done on the weekends -- sort of like homework, do I continue to let her drag her feet and take forever?  Really, two pages of reading comprehension should not take 8 hours (and she only got one page done in the end)  Part of me wonders if she is dragging it out so she can get away with not doing much....

I would not allow a child to spend eight hours doing anything.

If your dd is taking that long to do something, then get rid of that thing. It just isn't worth it. And truthfully, *I* find most reading comprehension lessons to be boring and uninteresting. Perhaps that's her problem, and she knows you'll make her do it anyway, so she drags her poor self through it. Or perhaps she doesn't know exactly what it is, and she can't discuss it with you because she's just 10 and she can't describe what she's thinking, so she drags her poor self through it.

ITA with finding a way to monitor her more closely; I'd limit how much time she spends on anything, and I would NOT require her to do it on weekends. And I'd make sure to do the fun stuff with her.

Please, please, please consider a different thought here. For some kids it is really hard to stay focused, really, really hard. It sounds like she NEEDS you there to keep her focused and on task. Please don't punish her for this. I would examine if what we are doing is worthwhile, stay right there to redirect and put time limits on things. It is even more discouraging and makes a person feel like an idiot when they cannot keep focused and take forever to finish. Personally, I'd drop some stuff to make time for some of those fun things.

My son gets distracted easily, very easily he does well when I redirect and keep him focused though, it doesn't mean he is doing it on purpose. He just needs help staying on track. When we had him tested the Neuropsychologist made the same comment, although he is extremely distractible he redirects well. Some kids are literally wired differently.

Check out some books on learning styles- http://www.amazon.com/They-Learn-Cynthia-Ulrich-Tobias/dp/1561794147 has been a lifesaver for me- especially with my child who is 'wired differently' from the rest of us.

She may need 'white noise' or music when you insist on silence, OR she may need noise-blocking headphones is a busy house. She may need to work in a recliner with a lap desk near a sunny window, or she may need to sit in a hard chair at a desk facing a wall. NEITHER is wrong, but something might be wrong for her.

Next, carefully evaluate the materials you're using. Is it truly necessary and helpful FOR THIS CHILD, or is it just one more thing that was packed in the "5th grade box"??? Condense what you can- read historical fiction (American Girls, for example) and let it be both reading AND history (or part of history.) Make as much use of video as you can, esp. for Science- if she learns well by watching rather than reading at this point. Does she have pre-printed math worksheets, or does she have to hand-copy every single problem, like in Saxon 5/4 & up? 

Most importantly, work with her at the level she is at, right now. Don't get caught up in where she should be. Get the basic foundation now, and she could move more quickly later. But some things, like reading and math, can't be rushed.  History & science can be condensed. Arts & PE & music should never suffer because "there isn;t enough time." those may be the very subjects that help  bring out her best.

Good luck! :grouphug:

Yes, she has many learning issues and I know that distraction is a challenge for her.  She is working at the correct level (should be in grade 5 but is working at an early grade 3 level...just the right level of challenge without being frustrating).  Everything she does has been well thought out based on her as an individual (I think).  I guess I'm just wondering when a child gets it in their head the don't want to do _____ for whatever reason, do we put it away for the day and have her do it at another time, ie. free time.  Do we put it away and not worry about it (this will create pattern of not completing work assigned). 

As for sitting with her, most of the time I am sitting right next to her as we are all working at a really huge table....

Perhaps I'm dealing with her developmental delays and not recognizing it...to me it feels like a power struggle that I'm not interested in being part of.  

Just a tad frustrated as I feel I've culled out so much and the stuff I want her to do really should take about 2 hours a day total!  Short of not doing any written/seat work I'm not sure how else to approach this.

Here's what she is assigned each day:

1 page Handwriting without tears cursive (she requested this)

1 chapter of Teaching Textbooks 

IXL math (if she is struggling with a concept in TT we will do some IXL practice instead of TT for the day or week)

2 pages of reading comprehension (read the passage and answer about 5 questions working on a specific topic --cause/effect etc.  She can read well but does not understand what she is reading...just words on a page.  I could get rid of this as it is the most challenging area for her but it is also something she really requires help with.)

1 chapter of Bible study

The afternoon is supposed to be for Five in a Row with her 5 year old brother.....

You may need to interact with her more during her lessons. I know that's hard with other kids, but some kids just need that. My middle son needs me to keep encouraging him through the entire lesson. Otherwise, he'll be incredibly distracted. My oldest (9) is able to do some things on his own, but some days even he needs me to keep him on task, especially if the subject is not a favorite.

If reading comprehension is something she needs work on, I would make sure YOU are interactively working on it with her instead of having her just do a worksheet. I find that the subjects my kids struggle with most are the ones they most need me to hold their hand through, with back and forth discussion. So sitting next to her may not be enough. You may need to engage her more.

Do you have a time where you work with just her without any other kids around you? That might help to have a session each day that you can get through the hardest subjects together.

I know she's 10 but if she is working at a 3rd grade level, and taking into account her attention issues she probably needs your undivided attention so you can have an ongoing conversation during her schoolwork.  

"Okay, what do the instructions tell you to do?"  

"That's right.  So lets read the first section and do xyz."

"Good.  You got the first one done perfectly.  Let's move to the next one."

"You seem to be having trouble with this next one...tell me what you are thinking and I'll help you figure it out."

"Great!  We are all finished with this subject.  You did wonderful.  Take a quick bathroom break, get a drink and then bring your next subject and we will work on it."

Rinse, repeat. 

Yes, it seems tedious.  Yes, it gets old.  However, I suspect that this is what she needs, if even for a little while to help her learn how to focus more OR to teach her that she's not going to win the power struggle (if that's truly what this is about),  and you are the only one that can help her. If you are sitting right there, as you said you were, and she's still working for even 4 hours on what you have assigned then that's a red flag indicating that you need to find the time in your day to give her the attention she needs.  I know that sounds harsh.  Homeschooling is often harsh, especially with special needs children.  :grouphug:

Yes, she has many learning issues and I know that distraction is a challenge for her.  She is working at the correct level (should be in grade 5 but is working at an early grade 3 level...just the right level of challenge without being frustrating).  Everything she does has been well thought out based on her as an individual (I think).  I guess I'm just wondering when a child gets it in their head the don't want to do _____ for whatever reason, do we put it away for the day and have her do it at another time, ie. free time.  Do we put it away and not worry about it (this will create pattern of not completing work assigned). 

As for sitting with her, most of the time I am sitting right next to her as we are all working at a really huge table....

Perhaps I'm dealing with her developmental delays and not recognizing it...to me it feels like a power struggle that I'm not interested in being part of.  

Just a tad frustrated as I feel I've culled out so much and the stuff I want her to do really should take about 2 hours a day total!  Short of not doing any written/seat work I'm not sure how else to approach this.

Here's what she is assigned each day:

1 page Handwriting without tears cursive (she requested this)

1 chapter of Teaching Textbooks 

IXL math (if she is struggling with a concept in TT we will do some IXL practice instead of TT for the day or week)

2 pages of reading comprehension (read the passage and answer about 5 questions working on a specific topic --cause/effect etc.  She can read well but does not understand what she is reading...just words on a page.  I could get rid of this as it is the most challenging area for her but it is also something she really requires help with.)

1 chapter of Bible study

The afternoon is supposed to be for Five in a Row with her 5 year old brother.....

Have you tried setting a timer and giving her an incentive for finishing before the timer goes off?  Make sure she is near you, like you have been doing... set the timer for a little longer than what you know she can get it done in (give her plenty of chance to succeed) and encourage her to finish before the timer goes off.  Give her a 5 min-10 min. break and start again.