Menu

High Calorie Foods for Child ~ Hopefully Nutritious

SonshineLearner

When my dd needed to put on some weight, we would put a lot of oil on things.  I roasted veggies in coconut oil or steamed them with olive oil.  We did shakes - I'd throw in whole milk and yogurt, avacadoes, with a LOT of fruit to sweeten it a bit.  Occasionally, I'd throw in some ice cream as a treat.  When dd stopped drinking the shakes, I'd make them and turn them into popsicles!  Instant treat!

We found dd was more willing to eat in the morning, so we'd fill her up with all sorts of food at breakfast.  Eggs.  Cooked in butter or coconut oil.  Bacon or sausage.  Potatoes.  Toast with peanut butter.  Whatever combo of those she would eat, she got.  

Homemade pizza?  Make your own crust so it's healthier.  Pile it high with cheese and toppings like sausage and pepperoni.  

Nuts are good too - very calorific.  I try to sneak oils into things, so all veg is well oiled, for example.  Things like mashed potato can be really laced with calories.

Why are you trying to up the calories?  The reason I asked is that I have tried for years to get Calvin to put on weight - he's 5'10" and 105 pounds - but he's just naturally thin.

L

Bacon - it is what our allergists suggests for my tiny one.  She's allergic to dairy and already eats avocados which are the top two things normally suggested.  If he's not allergic to milk, add something like ovaltine or instant breakfast to a glass of whole milk to his daily foods too.  A spoonful of extra butter to all of his veggies is good addition too.

Yeah, also curious why.  My 10 yo grew 2 inches and only gained half a pound last year.  He's very picky.  I'm holding off on panicking still, though. I am still trying to get him to eat more, but . . . really, in my core, I believe that kids eat because they are growing, they dont grow because they are eating.  I was the last person in my school to hit 100 lb or 5 foot tall.  My daughter (different father) is 5'6 and 103 lb.  She's fine.  I'm fine.  

I do try to get him to eat a lot of nuts and nutbutter - we're off dairy and gluten, and he's off soy, so its really hard.

I'm trying to have him gain because he lost 3 weight, since his last appt. He's needing to keep his weight on, and he's on ADHD meds. I have Benecal, an organic type of Boost... But he just won't eat much. I have him take a fish oil, olive oil (he won't eat on food but will slurp it down... yuck)  He eats bread that has basically been soaked in butter, and then fried in a skillet. I have him eat whole milk greek yogurt (with me basically force feeding it)

He won't eat nuts... will eat peanut butter, if I encourage him with almost each bite.  I've also started mixing cream in his milk and grass fed gelatin.

He's in school right now, and sometimes comes home with his whole sandwich. They have 30 minutes and he prefers to talk/play, rather than eat.

He will eat pancake type foods, so I mixed his Benacal with the mixture, instead of milk and then added some milk until it was the right texture.

With having him eat calorie dense foods, I've barely had any room in his tummy for veggies. He is eating a half apple, and some things like a few slices of peppers. He won't use dips...

FRUSTRATING! 

(Did I mention he was 10lbs 3oz at birth? 23 1/4 inches long)

Oh yes, and now I see that you can mess them up, by adding too many calories at once. UGH.... I feel as though I'll never win!!!!

Will he do smoothies?  Adding fruit etc to the yogurt. 

Cheese and crackers 

Bagels and Cream cheese

Peanut butter on the half an apple

Guacamole with good corn chips

Only if I threaten him with near death. He doesn't like anything "mixed".... After he found out that French Toast had egg in it, he said he wouldn't want to eat it anymore! :(  I could beat him!  

Ugg, adhd meds are notorious for that.  Are you really seeing enough improvement with the meds to be sure they are worth it?

I had the opposite problem - my son went on Risperdone and gained a pound and a half a month for the first 18 months.  It definitely was worth it to us, though.