Menu

Anxiety meds for very short term?

Ipsey

I'm wondering if this is even a thing.

I will likely be in a wedding this summer for my friend P. (I'm thrilled for this P!) But, it is very likely there will be someone in attendance (S) that is a very difficult person for me to be around. So much so, that I've sort of been dreading this wedding, though I've been eagerly anticipating it too.

We were all friends at one time, but S and I don't really have anything to do with each other anymore, and I have a bit of anxiety if I even think about her. When I think about this wedding, I think I'm having little panic attacks--well, "panic attack" is maybe too strong a word here, but my chest hurts and my heart races. I feel sort of sick all over.

I think that having to face S over a weekend will be terribly stressful. I've even given thought to not going to the wedding because sometimes the feeling is so severe--but I very much want to go. I love P.

So, I don't even know if this is possible, but do GPs ever proscribe anti-anxieties or the like just for a short-term? 

Whew, I have to stop typing now, my hands are starting to shake. This is pathetic.

Well, I had to get a Rx for a one-time anxiety pill the last time I had to have an MRI.  I have terrible claustrophobia and there was not an open-MRI machine available.  It didn't knock me out, just numbed the anxiety so that I could get through it.

I would talk to the doctor - they should have ideas on what might work for you.

Definitely ask your doctor, I believe they are used to people asking for anxiety meds for short-term situations (for example, it is common for people who are afraid of flying to ask for something to get them through the flights). Last fall I asked my doctor about help with a public speaking thing and he prescribed me lorezapam (Ativan) to take occasionally for the general stress leading up to the event, and beta blockers to help with the adrenaline rush during the speech itself.  

yes they do prescribe for short term, and some should *only* be taken short-term.  go talk to your dr.  it sounds like you wouldn't need that much med anyway.

I will also use GABA and L-theanine which are neurotransmitters naturally produced in the brain that are calming.  I get anxiety related to PMS which will last a few days a month, and I'll take those during that time.