Menu

Suggestions for next year...8th grade

bluedarling

My dd (almost) 13, has had a rough year this year.  A lot of it is mood/puberty related, though weak reading comprehension / language frustration plays a role.  She KNOWs she wants to work with animals...that's all she knows for sure at this point.  She's talked about large animal massage, dog breeding, dog behavior scientist, various things, but she does not want to be a vet anymore because school is too hard.  For 8th grade I am looking for grade appropriate, but on the easier side materials.  Also, she doesn't like me 'putting together' different resources...its very important to her that a curriculum provider has put it together, and not mom. :(

Language Arts - we've been using JAG (yes, below grade level, but appropriate for her) and Beyond the Book Report.  We could continue with AG and more BBR.  My only hesitation is that JAG became a huge struggling point for her by the end. (She loved it in the beginning!)  Is there anything else people recommend for a somewhat weaker student?

History/SS - we are using Starline Press.  She likes it, but its too expensive.  She likes that its short reading and fill-in-blanks.  Overall, though, she hates history, and this is just a get'r done subject.  She wouldn't mind literature-based, but wants short reading assignments/easier assignments.  Other suggestions?  This year we've covered Greece/Rome and Middle Ages.  Last year we covered US History.  The year before that we attempted World Geography, but didn't finish.  Not sure what to cover next year!  SOTW might work if it wasn't read aloud to her...she would have to see and hear at the same time, or just read it herself. Looking at all ideas that are short and easy!  Is there any non-history social studies for this age range other than world geography?  Maybe US Geography? Not that I think she'd like that any better...actually she'd probably HATE all the memorization! (But it WOULD be good for her. :) )  Any US Geography that is good for this age?

Science - she likes lyrical science ok, now that we are outlining together.  We could go that route next year with life science, but she's already covered a lot of the topics.  She hasn't had any introductory physics or chemistry, and she will probably never take physics in high school, so it seems she should probably do intro physics and chem for 8th?  Or should I leave that for 9th?  and have her do life science topics she hasn't covered yet?  or something more interest led, like horse science?

8th: intro physics and chem; 9th:biology; 10th: chemistry; 11th: advanced biology; 12: veterinary science?/career specific

or  8th: horse science?; 9th: intro physics and chem; 10th: biology; 11th: chemistry; 12: advanced biology

Art - we haven't done this, really ever, because arts & crafts are my nemisis.  (She's learning cello right now for her 'arts' requirement.)  She loves to draw animals.  Suggestions for an art curriculum that would help with realistic animal drawings?

(MUS is working well...no plans to change.)

What was it about JAG that caused her to struggle at the end, and what features did she like about it at the beginning?  That might help generate other suggestions.  Sorry, I'm not familiar with Beyond the Book Report.  Are you also looking for other LA in addition to grammar, perhaps some composition instruction?

Have you ever looked at Walch Power Basics workbooks, especially for history and/or science?  The high school level books are quite basic with short reading assignments and worksheets.  I've seen the high school books described as easy/remedial so they might be a good fit for a younger (8th grade) student too.  They also have middle school materials if you think the high school stuff is not what you want. 

I'd be inclined to go interest-led for science especially if she doesn't have an advanced STEM interest at this point and since this has been, as you say, a rough year for her.  Definitely don't want her to hate science if she's interested in animals.  Before high school there's a lot to be said for learning via interesting non-fiction or "coffee table" library science books and adding some documentaries.

For easy lit-based history, perhaps Classical House of Learning, or Sonlight history and geography using a level at or slightly below her reading level?  Just throwing out ideas.

Hope you get more input.

What was it about JAG that caused her to struggle at the end, and what features did she like about it at the beginning?  That might help generate other suggestions.  Sorry, I'm not familiar with Beyond the Book Report.  Are you also looking for other LA in addition to grammar, perhaps some composition instruction?

Towards the end there was a lot to remember, and she couldn't keep it all straight.  Nominative and Predicate Adjectives and such were big words, and the diagramming began to give her issues as the difficulty increased as well.  At the beginning it was easy and therefore fun. She likes workbooks that she can just get done, but if she struggles she begins disappearing upstairs or other avoidance techniques.   Beyond the Book Report is the AG composition and literature program...so far so good, but I'm not confident its enough writing, so considering other options.  We really haven't used BtBR long enough to evaluate fully, but so far seems to be extremely easy (just what she ordered!)  I have WWS 1 that I used with her brothers...so I'm considering trying that with her, but I honestly don't know if she can do it.

Have you ever looked at Walch Power Basics workbooks, especially for history and/or science?  The high school level books are quite basic with short reading assignments and worksheets.  I've seen the high school books described as easy/remedial so they might be a good fit for a younger (8th grade) student too.  They also have middle school materials if you think the high school stuff is not what you want. 

I am looking at the Walsh books, now. 

I'd be inclined to go interest-led for science especially if she doesn't have an advanced STEM interest at this point and since this has been, as you say, a rough year for her.  Definitely don't want her to hate science if she's interested in animals.  Before high school there's a lot to be said for learning via interesting non-fiction or "coffee table" library science books and adding some documentaries.

Thanks for the feedback!  The only problem with the library book/documentary route is me "pulling it together" and her feeling she's not accomplishing some grade requirement....she's very critical of what I pull together for her.  But I agree its probably what she'd do best with...some kind of animal sciences that she could see applying in the future. Animal anatomy (versus human), or a study of animal behavior?  Up until last year the only books she would read were dog books. She's over that, now....but still has to see how she would use things to be willing to try.  She doesn't see the usefulness of a lot of her studies, and has stated she thinks she has all the academics she'll ever need. :( 

For easy lit-based history, perhaps Classical House of Learning, or Sonlight history and geography using a level at or slightly below her reading level?  Just throwing out ideas.

I have looked at Classical House of Learning...we almost used it, but opted to try Starline instead.  I'll take a look at it again.  Sonlight seems overwhelming (and expensive) to me...though its been many years since I tried it.  I think with so much reading, she'd have to take it VERY slow for that to work!

Hope you get more input.

Thanks!

I can understand not continuing with AG. The first "season" is not bad, but it takes more and more time after that. I think there's an acceptable level of grammar knowledge a person can have and still be well educated without spending an hour/day, IMHO. What to recommend in its place depends on your goals, how much review she needs, etc. or maybe you could make up sentences and work on a white board for a set time each day firming up where she's weak. Or if she prefers independence, maybe a workbook with a more spiral approach ?

I would not do a high school typical science - she'll just have to do it again. I've never used it, but have you looked at beautiful feet's horse guide? Not sure what the grade rec is on that.

MP has a state study guide. I would think you might need to add to it for 8th grade. Would she be willing to do a state report of her choosing? Is she more interested in "tailored" plans if she's the one tailoring it? It's a hard spot to need a box (and I totally understand that - I have one who never liked my plans, lol) but know that there's not a box that will fit.

Hoping you get more responses.

I've had some similar issues w/my now 8th grade dd. She's had moodiness issues, is not super academic, doesn't particularly love school (and loves animals:) As you said, I do notice things go better when she is independent in most things. Her attitude has been getting better lately, too...so maybe next year won't be as difficult for you!  I'm switching to MFW for high school so she can have History/Bible/English totally independent and I know it's full, but not too overwhelming.

For 8th have you seen: http://www.notgrass.com/notgrass/America-the-Beautiful-Curriculum-Package.html? I haven't used it, but have heard good things. That would cover History/Bible/Lit. independently, I believe.

I don't have suggestions for science. I do believe if a child is college-bound Apologia is a good choice. I admit I've simplified it for 8th. She's doing Physical Science and I bought the notebooking journal which has a built-in schedule so she knows what to do every day, and I bough the lab materials kit. I also let her do the test open book one day, and the next day take the test w/o the book. She doesn't complain about science now like she did w/Apologia General. I also thought I saw an animal curriculum once put out by 4-H...not sure of grade level, though.

My dd also didn't care for our past writing program, but is doing pretty well w/Jump In. I think it's a solid 8th grade program to solidify essay writing skills before high school, and it's pretty independent.

Don't know if that helps any. Hope you figure out a good plan:) Blessings, Gina

I've had some similar issues w/my now 8th grade dd. She's had moodiness issues, is not super academic, doesn't particularly love school (and loves animals:) As you said, I do notice things go better when she is independent in most things. Her attitude has been getting better lately, too...so maybe next year won't be as difficult for you!  I'm switching to MFW for high school so she can have History/Bible/English totally independent and I know it's full, but not too overwhelming.

Oh, I hope you are right, and things improve!  I will look at the MFW high school program, for future consideration. 

For 8th have you seen: http://www.notgrass.com/notgrass/America-the-Beautiful-Curriculum-Package.html? I haven't used it, but have heard good things. That would cover History/Bible/Lit. independently, I believe.

I looked at this, and does look good, but I don't think we want to do American History again so soon, since she just had it last year.

I don't have suggestions for science. I do believe if a child is college-bound Apologia is a good choice. I admit I've simplified it for 8th. She's doing Physical Science and I bought the notebooking journal which has a built-in schedule so she knows what to do every day, and I bough the lab materials kit. I also let her do the test open book one day, and the next day take the test w/o the book. She doesn't complain about science now like she did w/Apologia General. I also thought I saw an animal curriculum once put out by 4-H...not sure of grade level, though.

DD is likely not college-bound, though I do want her prepared in case she changes her mind.  Her brothers did Apologia phy sci, and I sold the book because I knew it'd never work for her!  Plus, they cover a lot of earth science in that she would have just covered this year.  She could take General Science with an absolutely wonderfully awesome outside teacher (the boys are using her for biology), but I just don't know if she could handle it academically (or if I can afford for the boys to take chemistry and her take a class as well!)  She will likely use apologia for outside courses in high school, unless her dream of public school becomes a reality.  For now I am looking at secular materials, since dd will likely be using a public school at home option to pay for horse lessons/karate.

My dd also didn't care for our past writing program, but is doing pretty well w/Jump In. I think it's a solid 8th grade program to solidify essay writing skills before high school, and it's pretty independent.

Great idea!  I may even get this now to fill in holes left with BtBR when she reads the whole book for her report on day 1.

Don't know if that helps any. Hope you figure out a good plan:) Blessings, Gina

I can understand not continuing with AG. The first "season" is not bad, but it takes more and more time after that. I think there's an acceptable level of grammar knowledge a person can have and still be well educated without spending an hour/day, IMHO. What to recommend in its place depends on your goals, how much review she needs, etc. or maybe you could make up sentences and work on a white board for a set time each day firming up where she's weak. Or if she prefers independence, maybe a workbook with a more spiral approach ?

Hmm, goals are to work with animals.  She does not plan on college, though I'd like her prepared just in case.  She does need review, and would love a workbook approach, so long as it's not too long/difficult.

I would not do a high school typical science - she'll just have to do it again. I've never used it, but have you looked at beautiful feet's horse guide? Not sure what the grade rec is on that.

the beautiful feet guide is "history" of the horse.....it does include anatomy, but I'm not sure it'd count as 'science'?  For grades 3-7, so might be a little weak for 8th.  Worth considering, though.  I did see someone else on these boards using WP Equine Science...but looking at it, it looks very similar to the BF product!  Both cover grades 3/4-7, and both include history, science and literature.  We should have done that this year!!

MP has a state study guide. I would think you might need to add to it for 8th grade. Would she be willing to do a state report of her choosing? Is she more interested in "tailored" plans if she's the one tailoring it? It's a hard spot to need a box (and I totally understand that - I have one who never liked my plans, lol) but know that there's not a box that will fit.

I looked at the MP states & capitals, and its grades 3-6 (and dd won't like me adding to it)....but I did notice knowlege quest has a product for grades 4-8.  Can anyone compare these products?  Her little sister is 8yo, and working at 4th grade level right now....I could potentially combine them, though that creates issues with an academically gifted student having an easier time with the material than her sister who is 5 years older.  It would make life easier for me, though!

Hoping you get more responses.

"She will likely use apologia for outside courses in high school, unless her dream of public school becomes a reality."

How do you all copy w/the full boxes? :)

Just wanted to add that this summer my dd also brought up maybe wanting to go to school (for high school). It broke my heart, but hubby thought it should be her decision at this age. I finally came around some and we have actually let her shadow a private school, and we are considering a charter public school (classical, top-rated, very strict). It has been really good for me to boost my confidence....the classes at the rigorous private school were nothing that exceptional. And it was good for her to take some of the mystery of school out...she has never been to school. I think we're all leaning back towards homeschooling high school now (I hope), and if so I think it will be good because she'll have more ownership in it and realizes that while her days will be longer in homeschool h.s. than jr. hi., she's still be saving a good 3 hours a day compared to school kids by not having a commute and homework.  She would have to give us some good reasons why she thinks school is better, too. I wouldn't just say 'it's your choice' and then have her pick school for foolish reasons and then have worse attitude:)

"She will likely use apologia for outside courses in high school, unless her dream of public school becomes a reality."

How do you all copy w/the full boxes? :)

You just hit the quote button for the message you are replying to, and type in the copied quote.  I change my text color so that you can see my reply better.  The multiquote button would allow you to reply to multiple messages...but I haven't completely got the hang of that one yet. :)

Just wanted to add that this summer my dd also brought up maybe wanting to go to school (for high school). It broke my heart, but hubby thought it should be her decision at this age. I finally came around some and we have actually let her shadow a private school, and we are considering a charter public school (classical, top-rated, very strict). It has been really good for me to boost my confidence....the classes at the rigorous private school were nothing that exceptional. And it was good for her to take some of the mystery of school out...she has never been to school. I think we're all leaning back towards homeschooling high school now (I hope), and if so I think it will be good because she'll have more ownership in it and realizes that while her days will be longer in homeschool h.s. than jr. hi., she's still be saving a good 3 hours a day compared to school kids by not having a commute and homework.  She would have to give us some good reasons why she thinks school is better, too. I wouldn't just say 'it's your choice' and then have her pick school for foolish reasons and then have worse attitude:)

Shadowing is an interesting idea.  Schools let you do that?  She wants the social opportunities of public school, but perhaps shadowing would help her see the drudgery of it, too?  I'd be afraid the social part would look too enticing....she wouldn't even notice the bad parts.  Her dad is very opposed...me not so much, as she resists me to try to force me to put her in public school.  I'd be giving her what she wants, even if it isn't what she needs!  She's keeping at this, though, like she did getting a dog.  Constantly pressuring.  I'm ready to fold, but afraid of putting her in school in jr. high...maybe high school if she can convince her dad.  But if she could shadow for a bit...and know that is really what she wants, that would make me feel better about trying it!

Ah, can't believe I never noticed that quote button! Thanks:)

I don't believe our local public high school does shadow days....I think they just let you visit (we weren't seriously considering it, so I'm not positive). The charter school has limited shadow days, and the private school offers them often...wants those student $$:) Just what's done here locally.

Do you have a co-op? Relationships are so important at this age. We're fortunate to be a part of a large co-op that has a high school academy that meets weekly for core subjects. She had a good shadow day there and knew some people, so it felt comfortable and enjoyable for her. If we didn't have something like that, I think she'd be more serious about the school option. The Shadow Day at the private school did help. She just commented today that it was a 'long day.' And I reminded her that she didn't even have to do the homework part:) Maybe you could give her a week or two like public school...wake her early, work her all day, and give her homework. I'm sure that would go over well!

Language Arts - we've been using JAG (yes, below grade level, but appropriate for her) and Beyond the Book Report.  We could continue with AG and more BBR.  My only hesitation is that JAG became a huge struggling point for her by the end. (She loved it in the beginning!)  Is there anything else people recommend for a somewhat weaker student?

I'm wondering if Learning Language Arts Through Literature would be a good fit?  It would include all aspects of LA in one program.  Otherwise maybe you could look at AG's Teaching the Essay and The Research Paper, which will be part of BBR Season 3 eventually but available for purchase individually now.  I'm just assuming that you're using Season 1 of BBR right now (?).  Then for grammar look at Easy Grammar if the AG seems to be too much too quickly. 

History/SS - we are using Starline Press.  She likes it, but its too expensive.  She likes that its short reading and fill-in-blanks.  Overall, though, she hates history, and this is just a get'r done subject.  She wouldn't mind literature-based, but wants short reading assignments/easier assignments.  Other suggestions?  This year we've covered Greece/Rome and Middle Ages.  Last year we covered US History.  The year before that we attempted World Geography, but didn't finish.  Not sure what to cover next year!  SOTW might work if it wasn't read aloud to her...she would have to see and hear at the same time, or just read it herself. Looking at all ideas that are short and easy!  Is there any non-history social studies for this age range other than world geography?  Maybe US Geography? Not that I think she'd like that any better...actually she'd probably HATE all the memorization! (But it WOULD be good for her. :) )  Any US Geography that is good for this age?  

What about a world geography that has an earth science feel to it?  I'm thinking of Runkle's Geography.  She would be able to get a good overview of the geography of the world that would set her up nicely if she is going to take a World History course in high school, and she would also be getting the science aspect of it which may make you feel better about doing interest led topics for the bulk of her science. 

Science - she likes lyrical science ok, now that we are outlining together.  We could go that route next year with life science, but she's already covered a lot of the topics.  She hasn't had any introductory physics or chemistry, and she will probably never take physics in high school, so it seems she should probably do intro physics and chem for 8th?  Or should I leave that for 9th?  and have her do life science topics she hasn't covered yet?  or something more interest led, like horse science?

8th: intro physics and chem; 9th:biology; 10th: chemistry; 11th: advanced biology; 12: veterinary science?/career specific

or  8th: horse science?; 9th: intro physics and chem; 10th: biology; 11th: chemistry; 12: advanced biology

I would definitely allow her to focus on interest led for the bulk of her science this year.  It doesn't even need to be a curriculum for the whole year.  Can she volunteer at a local vet or animal shelter? Any 4H animal clubs that she could participate in?  Would it be possible for her to research about and then get a new pet and document it's care and training over the course of half the year?  Would she be interested in lapbooks?  There are a myriad of animal lapbooks she could work on over the course of the year.  I know you said she doesn't like you to put things together for her but if you give her the reigns would she put something together for herself?

Art - we haven't done this, really ever, because arts & crafts are my nemisis.  (She's learning cello right now for her 'arts' requirement.)  She loves to draw animals.  Suggestions for an art curriculum that would help with realistic animal drawings?

I don't know of any curricula that would be specific to animals.  What about picking up an adult How to Draw Animals book from an art\hobby store and having her work through it?  If art isn't a requirement though I would not push this.  Many times kids who love to draw will stop immediately if they are required to draw.  Dd14 is an amazing artist and will happily spend 4-6 hours a day drawing or doing digital art.  AS SOON as I recommend she do an art project for school she will act as if I've asked her to preform brain surgery.  Now, if it's her idea then that's a different story. ;)

Best of luck to you!  Your dd sounds like an amalgamation of my two oldest dds. :)

Ah, can't believe I never noticed that quote button! Thanks:)

Glad I could help with something. :)

I don't believe our local public high school does shadow days....I think they just let you visit (we weren't seriously considering it, so I'm not positive). The charter school has limited shadow days, and the private school offers them often...wants those student $$ :) Just what's done here locally.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to ask...if we get to that point.  Thanks for the idea.

Do you have a co-op? Relationships are so important at this age. We're fortunate to be a part of a large co-op that has a high school academy that meets weekly for core subjects. She had a good shadow day there and knew some people, so it felt comfortable and enjoyable for her. If we didn't have something like that, I think she'd be more serious about the school option. The Shadow Day at the private school did help. She just commented today that it was a 'long day.' And I reminded her that she didn't even have to do the homework part:) Maybe you could give her a week or two like public school...wake her early, work her all day, and give her homework. I'm sure that would go over well!

We have co-ops, but none that I felt were worth the expense (we'd have to give up all other activities to afford them, and it would be 'extras'...things I wasn't planning to teach anyway..  Or if they have core classes, they aren't at an appropriate level for her.)  Her friends from church are public schooled, so that's what she wants.  I'll keep in mind her need for peers, though.  Our church offers classical conversations...I just don't want to put that much pressure on her academically.  However, I have noticed peer opinion is a powerful motivator at this age! Hmm....

I'm wondering if Learning Language Arts Through Literature would be a good fit?  It would include all aspects of LA in one program.  Otherwise maybe you could look at AG's Teaching the Essay and The Research Paper, which will be part of BBR Season 3 eventually but available for purchase individually now.  I'm just assuming that you're using Season 1 of BBR right now (?).  Then for grammar look at Easy Grammar if the AG seems to be too much too quickly. 

It might!  I've considered it for her in the past, but her skills were so uneven.  However...she's evened out a bit, now, and it might actually work.  She would like that it was all-in-one, fill-in-the-blank style workbook.  Excellent suggestion....I'll consider that or the AG/Easy Grammar route.  Something to consider!

What about a world geography that has an earth science feel to it?  I'm thinking of Runkle's Geography.  She would be able to get a good overview of the geography of the world that would set her up nicely if she is going to take a World History course in high school, and she would also be getting the science aspect of it which may make you feel better about doing interest led topics for the bulk of her science. 

I think we'll pass on Runkle.  She will have just had earth science this year...and hates it.  Might have worked if she wasn't doing earth science this year, but it looked a bit on the hard side, anyway. 

I would definitely allow her to focus on interest led for the bulk of her science this year.  It doesn't even need to be a curriculum for the whole year.  Can she volunteer at a local vet or animal shelter? Any 4H animal clubs that she could participate in?  Would it be possible for her to research about and then get a new pet and document it's care and training over the course of half the year?  Would she be interested in lapbooks?  There are a myriad of animal lapbooks she could work on over the course of the year.  I know you said she doesn't like you to put things together for her but if you give her the reigns would she put something together for herself?

We are working on a volunteer position, but I don't know how much 'science' she'll get with it.  We tried 4H dogs, but our dog wasn't a good fit.  She'd love a new pet, but dad says no.  Hates lapbooks.  But she might like to put together her own course!  However, I could also see it becoming a point of contention...and the only things she will want to do are things that are not sufficiently rigorous for me to consider schoolwork.  Worth considering, though.  Thanks.

I don't know of any curricula that would be specific to animals.  What about picking up an adult How to Draw Animals book from an art\hobby store and having her work through it?  If art isn't a requirement though I would not push this.  Many times kids who love to draw will stop immediately if they are required to draw.  Dd14 is an amazing artist and will happily spend 4-6 hours a day drawing or doing digital art.  AS SOON as I recommend she do an art project for school she will act as if I've asked her to preform brain surgery.  Now, if it's her idea then that's a different story. ;)

I could see that happening.  Mom is so uncool that anything I require is not cool by association.  She's been finding youtube videos with instruction, and going off that.  She didn't really want a curriculum when I offered as an idea for Christmas.  So you may be right!

My dd (almost) 13, has had a rough year this year.  A lot of it is mood/puberty related, though weak reading comprehension / language frustration plays a role.  She KNOWs she wants to work with animals...that's all she knows for sure at this point.  She's talked about large animal massage, dog breeding, dog behavior scientist, various things, but she does not want to be a vet anymore because school is too hard.  For 8th grade I am looking for grade appropriate, but on the easier side materials.  Also, she doesn't like me 'putting together' different resources...its very important to her that a curriculum provider has put it together, and not mom. :(

I just want to say that, thanks to this forum, I too found Starline Press and my daughter absolutely LOVES it. I love it too... so much so that I am an authorized dealer now for Starline Press. I sell it for a lot less than their website and also less than Rainbow Resources.

Darn! I was hoping you hadn't seen WinterPromise's Equine Science program and that except for it being on the pricey side ($$!), that you'd think it was perfect. Bummer. (I don't think it would be an issue that it tops out at grade 7 based on what you've said about your dd.)

I think BF's History of the Horse is completely different. Here are some threads on WP's Equine Science:

WP Equine Science

I just got Equine Science from WP

WP Science

I think it could also be a easy way to slip in a little extra writing. :-)