Menu

I just got Equine Science from Winter Promise!

lillehei

It looks SO great! My 11 yo dd wants to be a horse farmer and I think this is a perfect thing for her to study for the next few summers. She might even want to do it on top of her regular science during the school year! She is so excited. Me too!

Anyone else have this? Is it as great as it looks?

We have it. DD11 rides, and she wants a horse-related career of some sort. I bought it this year and we've been doing the program when we have time. We have really enjoyed it! I think it is really well done and perfect for her. I wish we had time to consistently devote to it, but I know that we will work through it little by little. :001_smile:

I'm interested in this theme too. I was hoping to do it in about two years. What do you think of the age level? The books looked rather dry for an 8yo third grader, that's why I've been waiting.:lurk5:

I was surprised to find at the bottom of each week is an "extra, but optional" list of literature and writing assignments. We aren't going to do the writing but the books are all wonderful so I am going to add those in. I just got a bunch from Amazon's 4 for 3 promotion. I think it is perfect for my daughter because she is interested in how a horse moves, horse anatomy and other "dry" subjects. You might want to wait until 5th grade.

We are using this coming fall. I love the set up and student notebook....I think it all looks great. My daughter has a horse now so its perfect timing to learn so much. In fact I will be looking at the guide in a few minutes to familarize myself with it.

Edited by amyrjoy

We did part of this this past year. The Gait book is boring but it states so in the guide LOL! and says kids can look at the pictures if they desire. DD loved all the other books.

It's almost overwhelmingly full, so we did a lot of picking and choosing. There are typos....(sigh)...a few page numbers in the notebooking answer sheet around 57 or 60...something like that and the days go from Day 1 and Day 2 to Day 1 and Day 1 in the main grid around 20+ weeks or so. One of the drawing pages duplicates as well, but the drawing in the notebook comes from the Drawing Horses book, which it doesn't state. I'm sure there's more as we only got through about 1/4 of the program before the year was out.

I only planned on using it for a portion of the year, because we didn't like the current science and dd loves horses. I was overwhelmed by the amount to do and we broke up Day 1 and Day 2 to Day 1-4. They could have halved the program and it still would have been enough.

It's good and thorough, with great books, excessive activities which is good if you pick and choose, but typical WP with errors.

We did part of this this past year. The Gait book is boring but it states so in the guide LOL! and says kids can look at the pictures if they desire. DD loved all the other books.

It's almost overwhelmingly full, so we did a lot of picking and choosing. There are typos....(sigh)...a few page numbers in the notebooking answer sheet around 57 or 60...something like that and the days go from Day 1 and Day 2 to Day 1 and Day 1 in the main grid around 20+ weeks or so. One of the drawing pages duplicates as well, but the drawing in the notebook comes from the Drawing Horses book, which it doesn't state. I'm sure there's more as we only got through about 1/4 of the program before the year was out.

I only planned on using it for a portion of the year, because we didn't like the current science and dd loves horses. I was overwhelmed by the amount to do and we broke up Day 1 and Day 2 to Day 1-4. They could have halved the program and it still would have been enough.

It's good and thorough, with great books, excessive activities which is good if you pick and choose, but typical WP with errors.

I am sighing with you! I've used 3 of WPs themes, and I thought I was done, but now I keep coming back to the horse theme. Thanks for the details on errors. I bet there are more in the last 3/4. :001_huh:

I am sighing with you! I've used 3 of WPs themes, and I thought I was done, but now I keep coming back to the horse theme. Thanks for the details on errors. I bet there are more in the last 3/4. :001_huh:

No doubt there are more.

But not enough that I wouldn't use it, or, perhaps I just know WP and know what to expect. :tongue_smilie:

The notebook is a real phone book. TONS of info. It's a good program.

A good horse resource is the game "Herd Your Horses". My daughter also loves horses (has her own pony) and she has been playing this game since she was 5. http://www.amazon.com/Herd-Your-Horses-Board-Game/dp/B00000ISVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340817462&sr=8-1&keywords=herd+your+horses

When she was younger we had to help with the reading of course. I even enjoyed playing the game. There are harder versions of the game that can be played and the cards have lots of good information on horse breeds. Older girls should really enjoy it too.

I highly recommend it in addition to your equine studies.

I want to know more too. My son wants to be a vet.

My younger son also wants to be a vet. We are going to do Equine Science this year, and he is so excited. We have already gone through WP's Animals and Their Worlds twice, and I am hoping he enjoys Equine Science as much as he has that theme. :001_smile:

You all are making me excited to get this theme! Maybe I'll start loading up my Amazon cart. ;)

I was just looking at Rainbow Resource and saw all the books I bought on amazon for cheaper. Also, don't forget all the readers they recommend (I think those were cheaper for me on amazon because I did the 4 for 3.

Here is a list of literature they recommend:

Leonardo's Horse by Jean Fritz

Older students: The Red Pony by John Steinbeck.

Younger/sensitive students: Great Horse Stories compiled by James Daley

Black Horses for the King by Anne McCaffrey

Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry

Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Marguerite Henry

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Black Stallion by Walter Farley

My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara

Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry

And here is a list of Non-fiction and Activity Books required:

Your Horse Notebook and Equine Science Guide(these are from WP for $39 each)

Complete Horse Care Manual

Horse Gaits, Balance & Movement

Horse Crazy!

Album of Horses

Horse Anatomy

How to Think Like a Horse

Draw 50 Horses

• 2 weeks later...
Have you seen the notebook for the program? It has a plethora of information and drawings to help make it a cohesive lesson.

Oh this was in response to my question whether this could be used with a 6/7 year old, not about the general target age range. I was trying to see if it could be dumbed down for my 1st grader. I don't think she was dissing the program at all, just answering my question, which I appreciate : )

oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to sound snippy. I don't really think the program could be changed enough to get a first grader involved. It is heavy duty. My 11 year old is loving it.

Oh don't sweat it, we all have misunderstandings sometimes!! I think it speaks volumes about the program that you wanted to defend it!:)

DD 8, 2nd grade, will be using Beautiful Feet's Horse study alongside the Equine Notebook this year. I really liked BF's lit study that included so much history and Bible. I ordered the WP Notebook after hearing good reviews and believe I will be able to add it in to our BF study independently of the WP guide (at least I'm hoping we can move through the notebook without the guide). Because dd is so young, I knew WP Equine would be overwhelming but she really needs a year of fun after spending way too little time with her and way too much time with older dd the last few years. :001_smile: I believe she is on the lower end of where I'd recommend the notebook. She is an independent reader and very self-motivated when reading about animals (if that helps with age recommendations).

One thing I was thinking about was looking at the Pony Club manuals. The D manual is the first one that should be read and covers the basics. Pony Clubs administer ratings to Pony Clubbers based on these tests (both written and practical).

When I looked at what WP had to offer I felt that it was practical enough and the literature list offered was what many horse-interested children would have gone through.

I have discussed this idea with my daughter's riding instructor and she thinks that this is a good idea. She has administered Pony Club tests before and has been an instructor in the past for area Pony Clubs. I would love for my daughter to join Pony Club but the nearest ones are about an hour away and it is a HUGE time commitment when driving (and trailering) is factored in.

If anyone is interested I can keep you updated on how I proceed with this.

As for literature suggestions for younger children I would definitely recommend Jessie Haas. Look on her website because she even categories her books into levels such as "transitional chapter books". http://www.jessiehaas.com/works.htm

FYI: she has written early readers, chapter books, and novels so there is something for everyone. Her topics are very relevant and authentic. Some of the books are even series and there some ponies (like Radish) have books of their own but are also mentioned in other books. Kids love that.

• 1 year later...

My 5th grader did it last year and absolutely loved it.  My 2nd grader wants to do it, but I'm making her wait until at least 4th grade, maybe 5th.  That seems like a perfect age - they can do it completely independently at that point.  My 5th grader did it once a week over the whole year, on her own.