Menu

Replying to posts...

Tammy

I see many people are not replying to posts correctly....or rather...replying so you have no idea what post you are replying to....

Someone just brought this up on the Curr board. I usually reply to a certain post by using the 'quick reply' button...so it shows up UNDER the post in the 'threaded, hybrid' view. But...if you are in 'linear' mode....you can not tell what are replies at all....so you would probably have to use the 'quote' feature....which I never do because I view the boards in 'hybrid' mode.

So....I guess I am wondering should EVERYONE use the 'quote' feature....so the 'linear' viewers know what post we are replying to?

I really hate the 'quote' feature....it adds so much to wade through....KWIM?

Tammy

I have thought about that too because it is hard to figure out how to reply to a specific post in a thread.........but even when you do, it might get missed since people usually will skim through the posts they already read and might scan over year reply.........not sure which is the best way to go........hopefully someone will have the answer

I see many people are not replying to posts correctly....or rather...replying so you have no idea what post you are replying to....

Someone just brought this up on the Curr board. I usually reply to a certain post by using the 'quick reply' button...so it shows up UNDER the post in the 'threaded, hybrid' view. But...if you are in 'linear' mode....you can not tell what are replies at all....so you would probably have to use the 'quote' feature....which I never do because I view the boards in 'hybrid' mode.

So....I guess I am wondering should EVERYONE use the 'quote' feature....so the 'linear' viewers know what post we are replying to?

I really hate the 'quote' feature....it adds so much to wade through....KWIM?

Tammy

Oops. Sorry! :rolleyes: I don't use the hybrid mode. I use the linear mode.

No, everyone should just go to the view the board is set as standard for. :) Do away with this hyrid stuff. :)

I use the quote feature if I want to be specific. Otherwise, it is pretty obvious, to me, who is replying to whom and about what. It's just how the general flow of the conversation goes in the standard format. One follows the other and if you want to follow someone specific, you quote. :)

And one more obligatory :)

I don't know why you keep saying there is a 'standard' view....when I see OPTIONS....how I can view the board. If there are options...then we can pick what we want. What makes you think there is a 'standard'? If they wanted everyone to view the board one way....there wouldn't be different views to choose from...right?

I don't know why you keep saying there is a 'standard' view....when I see OPTIONS....how I can view the board. If there are options...then we can pick what we want. What makes you think there is a 'standard'? If they wanted everyone to view the board one way....there wouldn't be different views to choose from...right?

Because to get to another type of view, you have to find out how to change it to that way, therefore there is a standard view until one changes it.

The standard view is the one everyone sees when we first sign up. The one everyone uses until it is discovered one can change how you view you.

So it IS a standard because it requires a change and knowledge of change in order to make it not standard. The board doesn't just open up (upon your very first viewing) in some "blank stare" mode. It opens up in the mode I speak of and YOU have to seek out the way to change it.

That's why it's called a standard mode. kwim? Because it remains that way until it is changed and for some, that change never occurs, therefore all they see (or know) is what's "standard".

ok? ok. :)

Well that is all fine and dandy...but there are options....and people are certainly going to 'change' the default....I guess I like that name better than standard, LOL! I don't see anything called 'standard' mode in the drop down list of display modes....

Just like people might change the way the threads are displayed....as in more recent on top....older on bottom....that doesn't mean everyone is going to use the 'default'....

I am just trying to help all the display mode viewers....and yes 'most' of the time you can tell who is replying to whom....but when I look at a 'thread'.....and see replies....then go down and view them...and they are supposed to be replies to the OP...well I pretty much wasted my time....not that I am crying about that. LOL!

Ideally, the board software should have been written so that when someone clicks on a post to reply (the quick reply buttons on the bottom right)--the subject line is auto entered as "For: Tammy" or "In Response to: Tammy".. Doing this would eliminate the need for hybrid mode---which I tried and it's cluttered. :)

Maybe "default" sounds better, but every message board community uses this mode, the mode I'm in, so it is technically a standard. :)

And my original post was more tongue in cheek than anything anyway. There is no tongue in cheek icon. :)

Because I can quickly see the subjects...and see which ones I want to read....

You can't do that in your 'mode'....but to each his own :p

Tammy

Except your plan is foiled when no subject is used because people like me use the "quick reply" function instead of all the advanced stuff. :)

Please don't get rid of the hybrid mode--I like it far better than the linear mode. I like the fact that we have a choice and don't want to have to use quotes all the time.

The hybrid mode is the one that makes the most sense to me. I can see the replies linearly, but I can also see how they "nest" if I need to.

Otherwise, it is pretty obvious, to me, who is replying to whom and about what. It's just how the general flow of the conversation goes in the standard format.

Actually, I think it gets pretty tricky to follow in the longer threads. I have to go back up and look at the lines to figure things out sometimes, and I've replied to a different post than the one I meant to a couple times. Some of you are familiar with this board style from other places, but for those of us just getting used to it, it can seem less logical.

Hybrid works best imo, otherwise folks would be doing quotes all the time, just more stuff to scroll through.:rolleyes:

That's why it's called a standard mode. kwim? Because it remains that way until it is changed and for some, that change never occurs, therefore all they see (or know) is what's "standard".

It is also standard to put your kids on the big yellow bus that rolls through the neighborhood and have them spend several hours in a big building with other kids, in the hopes that they will learn something.

I don't follow that standard. I don't see why I should be bound to take the board without modification either.

Having said that, I think there are threads that work fine with quick reply and others that benefit from having a more branching feel to them.