Menu

Help with High School decisions

My daughter is a freshman at a Christian School.  She has been at the school since 7th grade.  She really wants to go part time and take math and science at home and no electives.  If she does this, then it looks like I will be the one taking care of her transcripts ext…  She would still be taking English, History, Spanish, Bible.  Her principal said that she will definitely be in the running for Valedictorian.  Yes, I know she is only a freshman, but it is pretty clear based on gpa, ect.. that she is in the running.  My question then is, will we be making a huge mistake in terms of possible scholarship money if we allow her to go part time and not be eligible for Valedictorian?  Based on my research, it does not seem that they get that much to begin with. I feel bound to a "school" because I am unsure how to go about any scholarship type money if we are classified as homeschoolers.  She did pretty well on her PSAT (we made her take it freshman year to get her used to it), and I am wondering if the SAT/ACT scores are what really matters.    She is wanting to get more involved in volunteer work, but the heavy homework load from school is preventing her from doing that.  She is very gifted in Math, and the Honors Math at school is moving too slow for her, and her Biology teacher is not that great at all.  Soooo all that to say, what is the best route for our daughter?  I guess I am just very scared that I will ruin an opportunity for her if I "mess" up her high school transcripts ect..  She does want to continue a few courses at her Private school because she enjoys them and likes the students, but just not full time.  I guess it will look good to be able to prove that she CAN handle honors, pre-ap type courses.  Help??

Interesting question!

She is wanting to get more involved in volunteer work, but the heavy homework load from school is preventing her from doing that.  She is very gifted in Math, and the Honors Math at school is moving too slow for her, and her Biology teacher is not that great at all.  Soooo all that to say, what is the best route for our daughter?  I guess I am just very scared that I will ruin an opportunity for her if I "mess" up her high school transcripts ect..  She does want to continue a few courses at her Private school because she enjoys them and likes the students, but just not full time.

My two cents:  will you be able to offer a superior education/sequence in math and science at home?  E.g., will you indeed use deeper materials (AoPS or something else more rigorous than what the school uses) and/or move her through the sequence faster such that she has more room in her schedule for APs/DE ?

I guess it will look good to be able to prove that she CAN handle honors, pre-ap type courses.  Help??

Assuming selective colleges are a possibility for your bright and hardworking student, I think it would be be the AP courses themselves that matter, rather than the lower courses' honors designations.  I personally wouldn't be concerned about ruining the transcript.  Do you have a plan for teaching or outsourcing an AP science, for example?

If a more flexible schedule might give her more time for the development of an interest/hook (e.g. maybe via the volunteer work?) then it might be worth all the juggling between school and homeschool.

FWIW, my dd will attend one of two private high schools.  One, with a true block schedule, has more schedule flexibility than the other and would allow a lot more science and math, but that one is logistically more difficult (transportation is a significant issue, a real pain for me personally due to a time conflict with my other kids' school).  The less-flexible school is the more likely choice, though we still have a year to decide (dd is only in 7th).  If the less-flexible school were willing to allow part-time, I might consider, but I'd end up outsourcing the math and science anyway, as I wouldn't be prepared to teach those courses.  For us, I think it would be simpler to afterschool with AoPS if dd is willing, though it might have to be in the summer due to homework load.

My question then is, will we be making a huge mistake in terms of possible scholarship money if we allow her to go part time and not be eligible for Valedictorian?  Based on my research, it does not seem that they get that much to begin with. I feel bound to a "school" because I am unsure how to go about any scholarship type money if we are classified as homeschoolers.  She did pretty well on her PSAT (we made her take it freshman year to get her used to it), and I am wondering if the SAT/ACT scores are what really matters.    

I'm in the middle of assisting my son with college applications. Since he's never been in school (other than the dual enrollment classes he's doing at the community college this year), I have no frame of reference for discussing the significance or value of the valedictorian label in the quest for scholarships. I suspect that the question of whether being valedictorian will have any significant value in terms of scholarships may depend largely on how well known/well respected the high school is and where the student is applying. It's one thing to be valedictorian of a competitive prep school. It's perhaps less impressive to be valedictorian of a small, private school the admissions officers may know nothing about. But I'm not an expert on this question.

But I can tell you that, thus far, my son has been offered the top level of merit scholarship available at all of the colleges to which he's been admitted, primarily on the basis of his test scores.

Now, he's not applying to super selective schools. He's planning on a major in performing arts. So, for him, the access to certain disciplines and the quality of those specific departments are more important than highly competitive academics or a prestigious name on his degree. His test scores and grades, while not stellar, put him in the upper 25% of the admitted students at most of the schools to which he's applying, and that's been good enough to get him scholarships equivalent to half of more of the tuition at each school more or less automatically.

For him, the next step is to audition for talent-based scholarships. And, of course, we'll be applying for regular financial aid (although I'm not hopeful he'll qualify for a lot in that department).

Honestly, I can't imagine having required him to stay for three additional years in a school that I didn't believe was challenging him or meeting his academic needs just in case an honor that he might earn down the line might have had some impact on his chances for better scholarships.

Honestly, I can't imagine having required him to stay for three additional years in a school that I didn't believe was challenging him or meeting his academic needs just in case an honor that he might earn down the line might have had some impact on his chances for better scholarships.

This.

If you can tell freshman year she might be in the running for valedictorian, the school is probably not challenging or impressive enough for the label to mean much to colleges.

How many APs does the school offer? Can you offer more AP sciences and more advanced maths? Will she be able to take AP tests somewhere if she homeschools (I ask because I have utterly failed at finding a site for our kids to take APs taking them off the list of possibilities here.)

I really don't know if colleges are impressed with the valedictorian label, but I imagine it is only impressive WITH an impressive list of classes to back it up. If you can provide the classes and the school can't - don't hold her back for the chance of a label.

Would attending the private school part-time free up some tuition dollars?  If so, you might use those to challenge your daughter with some AP classes offered by a private provider such as Pennsylvania Homeschoolers.  Here's a link with more information.

Regards,

Kareni

The school she is at is a small Christian School.  It honestly is not that big at all.  They do offer some dual credit and AP classes, but not as much as a public school.  I would say that most classes are pretty challenging, her Biology teacher is a great lady and a very talented teacher but she is foreign and she cannot understand what she is saying half the time!!! LOL!!  They are using Apologia and she hates it.. She prefers Abeka Sciences.  As for the math, they are just following a textbook and it is a good class, but she gets it very fast and feels like she could go at her own pace at home.  The English, History, Science and Bible classes are wonderful and she truly enjoys those.  I think I will allow her to come home and homeschool the math and science.  I will seek out a challenging Chemistry program for next year.  We don't have any in the area per se, but I thought about looking online at something like The Potter's School.  I will also have her start a study guide for the PSAT/SAT since that seems like what gets their attention.  She is also wanting to start volunteering at an Equine Therapy program and a Soup Kitchen.  I think with her community service, good grades and really focusing on getting her test scores as high as she can that we will be good.  She would love to attend a small private Christian College, or a normal state university.  She is not looking at the "prestigious" schools. 

Thank you for your replies, it helped a lot!!

Jennifer

Would attending the private school part-time free up some tuition dollars?  If so, you might use those to challenge your daughter with some AP classes offered by a private provider such as Pennsylvania Homeschoolers.  Here's a link with more information.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for the link… this looks like something that would be great for her.  I did not realize everything available for homeschoolers now!

I don't have a child in college yet, but on the visits we have done with my 11th grader, the colleges we looked at were all willing to use GPA and test scores for calculating scholarships with no class rank. With her goals her current academic record, I don't think she'll have trouble getting good scholarships. 

I don't want to start an Apologia war, but it is definitely not the most challenging science out there. You could do more… a lot more. If you want to stick with Christian, BJU distance learning would be a significant step up. There are several good online class providers as well. 

Just some thoughts :)

My daughter is a freshman at a Christian School.  She has been at the school since 7th grade.  She really wants to go part time and take math and science at home and no electives.  If she does this, then it looks like I will be the one taking care of her transcripts ext…  She would still be taking English, History, Spanish, Bible.  Her principal said that she will definitely be in the running for Valedictorian.  Yes, I know she is only a freshman, but it is pretty clear based on gpa, ect.. that she is in the running.  My question then is, will we be making a huge mistake in terms of possible scholarship money if we allow her to go part time and not be eligible for Valedictorian?  Based on my research, it does not seem that they get that much to begin with. I feel bound to a "school" because I am unsure how to go about any scholarship type money if we are classified as homeschoolers.  She did pretty well on her PSAT (we made her take it freshman year to get her used to it), and I am wondering if the SAT/ACT scores are what really matters.    She is wanting to get more involved in volunteer work, but the heavy homework load from school is preventing her from doing that.  She is very gifted in Math, and the Honors Math at school is moving too slow for her, and her Biology teacher is not that great at all.  Soooo all that to say, what is the best route for our daughter?  I guess I am just very scared that I will ruin an opportunity for her if I "mess" up her high school transcripts ect..  She does want to continue a few courses at her Private school because she enjoys them and likes the students, but just not full time.  I guess it will look good to be able to prove that she CAN handle honors, pre-ap type courses.  Help??

ok, wait...she's still taking four classes at the school, and only two at home. Seems to me as if the school would still be in charge of her transcript, because she'd really be part-time at home, not part-time at school, if you see the difference. I'd get those logistics straightened out first. And what would be your legal status in your state? Does your state have homeschool statutes that you must comply with? You should know this (and probably the principal of the school will not know. You'll need to check with actual homeschoolers.)

Have you considered dual enrollment at the local community college? I'm not sure that high school-level classes carry more weight than college-level classes.

You should know that the vast majority of us send our children out into the world with transcripts and diplomas that we made ourselves. We are not that gifted, lol--I have no doubt that you would be able to do it, as well.

I don't have a child in college yet, but on the visits we have done with my 11th grader, the colleges we looked at were all willing to use GPA and test scores for calculating scholarships with no class rank. With her goals her current academic record, I don't think she'll have trouble getting good scholarships. 

I don't want to start an Apologia war, but it is definitely not the most challenging science out there. You could do more… a lot more. If you want to stick with Christian, BJU distance learning would be a significant step up. There are several good online class providers as well. 

Just some thoughts :)

This is exactly what my daughter thinks about Apologia!  She does not like his writing style at all either!  They used Abeka last year and she loved that!  I was just looking at the BJU distance learning for Science and I like it!  Thanks for the input!

ok, wait...she's still taking four classes at the school, and only two at home. Seems to me as if the school would still be in charge of her transcript, because she'd really be part-time at home, not part-time at school, if you see the difference. I'd get those logistics straightened out first. And what would be your legal status in your state? Does your state have homeschool statutes that you must comply with? You should know this (and probably the principal of the school will not know. You'll need to check with actual homeschoolers.)

Have you considered dual enrollment at the local community college? I'm not sure that high school-level classes carry more weight than college-level classes.

You should know that the vast majority of us send our children out into the world with transcripts and diplomas that we made ourselves. We are not that gifted, lol--I have no doubt that you would be able to do it, as well.

Ellie… She is full time at the school right now, but wants to drop math and science and continue those at home.  We have a meeting with the principal Wednesday to discuss everything.  The school is extremely accommodating to homeschoolers which is a huge blessing! :)  We live in Texas, so I know our laws are not as rigid as others.  After researching, I am seeing quite a few online AP and Dual Credit courses for homeschoolers…. and there is always local community college.  We are going to research a bit more and come up with a plan.  I think I was just very scared of the whole Homeschool High School thing… but it looks like it isn't as scary as I thought!

For most high schools in our area, anything other than full-time attendance means that they don't issue a diploma to that student unless you can figure out a way to get the high school to accept credits for work done outside of the school oversight.  So, even if the student is taking most of their classes at the high school, the parent is still in charge of the transcript and the school is just another provider of courses.  The parent would have their own master transcript and would have to get the school's transcript sent as well, just like they would for any college courses taken. 

To answer the OP,

My homeschooled teens have been accepted to most colleges they have applied to and received top merit $$ to boot.  This was based upon test scores (SAT, ACT, AP, SAT II) as well as rigor of the academic classes (some home grown, some online classes and some at the local LAC) and their application essay and extracurriculars.  My friend's son went to high school part time and took classes at our local LAC (that has a program for talented high schoolers.)  The high school was treated as a provider of classes, just like the college and any online classes.  The mom issued the diploma and created the transcript.  This young man was accepted by most of the colleges where he applied and received top merit money as well.  Not being "valedictorian" has NOT been an impediment to achieving their higher education goals. 

Ellie… She is full time at the school right now, but wants to drop math and science and continue those at home.  We have a meeting with the principal Wednesday to discuss everything.  The school is extremely accommodating to homeschoolers which is a huge blessing! :)  We live in Texas, so I know our laws are not as rigid as others.  After researching, I am seeing quite a few online AP and Dual Credit courses for homeschoolers…. and there is always local community college.  We are going to research a bit more and come up with a plan.  I think I was just very scared of the whole Homeschool High School thing… but it looks like it isn't as scary as I thought!

Ah. Being in Texas does mean there is some value to being valedictorian (Though as a kid -- in Texas -- my dad changed schools partly so I could go to a more challenging high school (it even meant he and my mom lived 90ish minutes apart my freshman year of high school before they could arrange things to live in the same city) and it probably was a reason that I was #5 in the class instead of valedictorian. And despite the scholarships, etc. I appreciate what he did. A&M consolidated was a MUCH better high school than where I would have gone and I got a better education there.

In Texas, the valedictorian of any state-supported Texas high school is eligible to receive a tuition waiver worth two semesters of tuition, but the tuition waivers may only be used at a Texas public college or university. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_House_Bill_588  But that really is just the first year covered. (And may not apply to valedictorians at a private school at all)