Menu

Coconut oil fans - nausea?

Lucy in Australia

For those of you that take coconut oil because it's healthy for you - do you ever get nauseated from it? I have tried several different types, all organic cold-pressed. I have about 2 teaspoons through the day with food & usually end up feeling a bit sick from it. I'm taking a break because I figure my body is not appreciating it, but I'd like to know if this has happened to others.

May not be relevant to your situation, but nausea following the consumption of certain fats was my first symptom of gall bladder problems (gallstones leading to the removal of my gall bladder and a much happier me). It felt very much like pregnancy nausea. Eventually the symptoms began to include pain in the right hand side of the abdomen just under the rib cage. Certain types of fats or combinations of fats were more likely to trigger it than others. Just something to keep an eye on.

Nausea/GI upset is a known side effect of coconut oil. How much are you taking at once? I'd try to work up to the desired intake, starting small. If just a bit makes you sick, it could be allergy/intolerance.  It's probably just the oil itself though and you need to work up.

Yes, back in my "Nourishing Traditions" days we did the coconut oil thing. We were eating rather high fat as a general rule, the whole traditional foods, raw dairy, soaking grains, the whole nine yards. Coconut oil on it's own like you are describing would have me running for the bathroom in a hurry. Coconut oil used to pop popcorn, in baked goods, as the oil in the fry pan, etc never bothered me. The coconut oil as a supplement idea (and even in small quantities) would do it without fail every time. I do not have gall bladder issues nor a family history of them. It's, as sbgrace says, a known issue for coconut oil.

FWIW, I get hearburn or some similar sick feeling if I try to eat coconut oil off a spoon multiple times per day.  I do much better with it mixed in something else, maybe with a different fat.  There were times when I wondered if it was a gall bladder thing because I could fix the sick/pain feeling by having "green drink" (LOL, chlorophyll) which is believed to help clear out the gall bladder, IIRC.

Yes, back in my "Nourishing Traditions" days we did the coconut oil thing. We were eating rather high fat as a general rule, the whole traditional foods, raw dairy, soaking grains, the whole nine yards. Coconut oil on it's own like you are describing would have me running for the bathroom in a hurry. Coconut oil used to pop popcorn, in baked goods, as the oil in the fry pan, etc never bothered me.

This.

I love CO and we use it a lot but the thought of eating it straight is gag-inducing.