Menu

Volunteering Snafu

Jean in Newcastle

Ds16 has been volunteering at the library since summer.  He went into volunteer at his usual time and was told that he is no longer on the volunteer schedule.  He e-mailed the volunteer supervisor and was told that he hadn't shown up for two months so he had been replaced.  Um, I know 100% that he's been there every single time he was scheduled.  She did ask him a couple of weeks ago if he'd like to switch to volunteering every week instead of every other week and we told them that his schedule didn't allow for that.  Why would she have asked him to increase his hours if he hadn't been showing?  I'm wondering if she replaced him because we said no.  Anyway - any advice on how we should handle this?  He would still like to volunteer because he enjoys the work and the staff there.  He normally never sees the actual supervisor as I believe she is at another library.  

Is this too direct?  

snippet of a longer e-mail:

"Yes, we did get an e-mail from you asking for him to work every week.  We responded at that time that his school schedule did not allow him to work that often and that he wanted to continue volunteering every other week.  I was under the impression that you wanted him to work more because he was doing a good job.  I was also under the impression that it was ok for him to say no to coming in weekly and that he could retain his every other week volunteer position.  I am unhappy with the unprofessional way that this has been handled."

Do you want to step in, or do you want him to handle it on his own?

I think I'd either email the coordinator or have him do it,  and say she must be confusing him with someone else, and give the dates he was actually there. It might just be a name mix-up. Just lay out the facts and reiterate (or have him do it) how much he enjoys it and wants to continue. 

ETA--Ah, we posted at the same time. I'd leave off the last line until you find out more info. And I'd probably let him handle it, or at least write the email, and then provide back up if needed.

Ds16 has been volunteering at the library since summer.  He went into volunteer at his usual time and was told that he is no longer on the volunteer schedule.  He e-mailed the volunteer supervisor and was told that he hadn't shown up for two months so he had been replaced.  Um, I know 100% that he's been there every single time he was scheduled.  She did ask him a couple of weeks ago if he'd like to switch to volunteering every week instead of every other week and we told them that his schedule didn't allow for that.  Why would she have asked him to increase his hours if he hadn't been showing?  I'm wondering if she replaced him because we said no.  Anyway - any advice on how we should handle this?  He would still like to volunteer because he enjoys the work and the staff there.  He normally never sees the actual supervisor as I believe she is at another library.  

Does he fill out a logbook for hours?  Or does he have any other way to prove he was there -- staff members or other volunteers he worked with?  The situation sounds a bit suspicious, IMO.  Or else somebody just got confused.

Is this too direct?  

"Yes, we did get an e-mail from you asking for him to work every week.  We responded at that time that his school schedule did not allow him to work that often and that he wanted to continue volunteering every other week.  I was under the impression that you wanted him to work more because he was doing a good job.  I was also under the impression that it was ok for him to say no to coming in weekly and that he could retain his every other week volunteer position.  I am unhappy with the unprofessional way that this has been handled."

If this is your first email, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that a mistake has been made before I accuse the person of being unprofessional , which is likely to alienate a well meaning person who simply made an error.

Also, I would not send the email as a parent. A 16 year old should handle this himself.

Is this too direct?  

I don't think this will help.

I think you need to 'start from scratch' and go at this assuming there was just a mix-up.

"ds was told he's off the volunteer schedule because he hasn't shown up for two months.  There must be some sort of mix-up.  I know he's been there for each of his scheduled shifts.  ds loves volunteering at the library so I hope we can get this cleared up quickly and get him back helping out!"

Just my two cents.

Really, it probably was a mix up. If he can remember some specific things where he interacted with others who can confirm it (Remember two Tuesdays ago when we had to help that really tall lady who wanted xyz books? I was there, you remember!) Don't they keep records? Something must be wrong.

I re-wrote everything with the assumption that everything was a mix-up.  Thank you.  I was peeved and that came out in my first (unsent!) draft.  

I hope it was all a mix-up and you've now given the coordinator an "out" to say "oh yes, a mix-up" and your ds can move on with his volunteering.

Our library has the teen volunteers sign in/sign out on a paper sheet/clipboard before going to their assigned posts.  Does your library have a paper backup to prove the hours? Can one of the librarians vouch for your son? I'd be a bit ticked at the coordinator. 

Our library has the teen volunteers sign in/sign out on a paper sheet/clipboard before going to their assigned posts.  Does your library have a paper backup to prove the hours? Can one of the librarians vouch for your son? I'd be a bit ticked at the coordinator. 

It appears that there is a clipboard that he was supposed to sign.  My son said that whoever oriented him had not told him that and the volunteer coordinator said that she was not sure if all the staff knew to let volunteers know of that step.  Anyway, it appears that this is getting all fixed up just fine.  I'm glad that I posted here and that you all talked me out of being combative since it really does look like a simple mix up.