Menu

What does Kefir taste like??

I'm slowing making some changes to some whole foods. Wow, what an expensive shopping trip it was today and I didn't even get 1/4 of what was on my list :eek: Anyhoo, kefir was on my list to price. It was recommended in smoothies. Does this stuff taste like yogurt? I don't like yogurt (wish I did), and I can even taste it when put into smoothies. I didn't want to spend $5 on something that I wouldn't like in my smoothies.

I've just skimmed Eat to Live, but I don't think I can do it all the way. I have also just read the Great Physicians R/X for Health by Jordan Rubin. I know this is healthier, the whole foods route, but it sure is hard! I don't know know how much benefit I'll see from a slow change, but I do need to lose weight, get my energy back and be healthier.

I digress...thanks for helping me out!

Angel

IMHO, it tastes like liquid yogurt. It certainly isn't necessary for a healthy diet. If you don't like it or can't afford it, just skip it, by all means. And best wishes on your efforts!

ETA: If you really want to use it, but don't want to pay the price, you can make your own with a starter culture.

Milk kefir is like yogurt. But you can get kefir grains and ferment other things, like juices.

I think the book Eat Fat Lose Fat had some kefir recipes in it, like a ginger ale type drink and maybe some other fizzy soda-type drinks.

If you want to google more info, try looking up water kefir.

I don't think kefir tastes like yogurt, it tastes more acidic to me. I eat a lot of yogurt and I think kefir is yucky.

:iagree::iagree: Bleh. Sorry, I just can't take the taste of kefir. I find it has a much stronger taste than yogurt and is considerably more acidic compared to yogurt. I've had different peoples' brands and also I did make my own from cultures for about two months because I thought having kefir daily was better for my health. Every day I had to give myself a giant pep talk just to go near the jar. I'd have to down it real fast with my nose plugged then chase it with something to wash away the taste. It was also a texture thing for me, I think. Chunky, watery yogurt- ugh no thank you. :lol:

I did give it a good go and I'm glad I did. I know others who love the taste of kefir but I couldn't stand it- even "disguised" (it never was) in a smoothie.

I don't mean to be so negative against kefir, but this was just my experience. I vote you try it- you may find that you love it and that it's worth the cost for you.