Menu

New and have curriculum questions

StephTX

Hi all,

I'm about to start homeschooling my son (4th grade). This is all brand new to me and I've been researching curricula like crazy. I believe I have it narrowed down to a few that look appealing, have good reviews, and seem like would fit with his overall learning style. I realize that is most likely going to change when we actually get into things, but they seem like a good place to start.

Some of the ones I'm leaning towards are common core compliant, one even written by some of the common core people apparently (pearson). I live in TX, one of the few states who have not adopted CC, and there seems to be a whole lot of controversy with the whole thing.

If you live in a state where CC compliant is not a requirement, and no restrictions are placed on which curriculum you choose, do you consider CC compiant to be an issue when choosing? I'm not familiar enough with the whole thing to know if most would consider CC compiant a good or bad thing. There seems to be some concern of 'dumbing down' curriculum to make it more standardized?

The whole thing is overwelming and I didn't know if CC is a factor for y'all?

I think it totally depends on what *you* want out of a curriculum.   Is there a possibility that you will send your DS back to school at some point? (...in that case, I'd probably lean toward CC compliant.)   Is he struggling in certain subjects or does he need a "different" approach than what he's had to this point in school?  (....in that case, I'd probably lean away from CC compliant.)

For our family, I tend to choose curricula based on the approach, educational style, and content - not taking CC compliance into account at all.   That may change, however, as my kids approach high school (in 3 years for my oldest) if CC compliance will make a difference in SAT/ACT tests or other college entrance requirements.

Sometimes you just need to go with your gut, pick something, and see how it goes.   Use the remainder of this school year to evaluate what works for you and your DS, what doesn't work, and "fine tune" your curriculum choices as you move forward.   It will get MUCH easier after you've done it for a while.   Good luck!

CC alignment matters not at all to me. Many good curricula are CC aligned, and several of them changed nothing to put that sticker on them. Beast Academy, for example, is CC aligned, and it looks absolutely nothing like anything you'll find in public school. They simply meet the minimal standards, then go way beyond them.

My state has adopted CC, but that doesn't affect homeschoolers here - we're not required to do anything but turn in days absent. ;)

It doesn't factor into my decision making at all.  Like others are saying, some good curricula are CC compliant and some aren't.  I don't tend to use curricula that are heavily used in schools because I haven't found them to be as good as curricula that are marketed more to homeschoolers (thus I personally wouldn't be looking at anything Pearson makes), but even many of the homeschool curricula are CC aligned now and I don't especially care either way.

If you're planning to send a child back to school at some point, even in a state that's not CC compliant, using such a curriculum could help you be on the same page skills wise as ps students.  However, there's something to be said for using your time homeschooling to step away as well.  Do whatever is right for you.

One of the (many) things I get confused on is how closely to stick to the whole school type thing.

At this point, we don't feel like we will be permanent homeschoolers, but maybe that's because the reality has yet to sink in and it's just hard to picture it. Plus my DD7 (2nd grade) is staying at her school until she finishes next year (she has no issues/reason to homeschool and we love the little school she is in). So it feels weird I guess to think about venturing too far from "normal" education. (not that I think "normal" education is the greatest, don't get me wrong)

But then I look at some of the stuff and get excited about the possibilities too. The possibility of being able to hand pick and mold an education just for him, see him get inspired, and all that. I just seems like a really cool thing to get to do.

So far, the ones that have stuck out to me the most are...

Nancy Larson Science

Math Mammoth with Make It Real (seems like a cool add on)

Pearson Core Knowledge History

Shurley English

I'm still finalizing and whatnot, but that seems to be where I'm leaning right now. Any thoughts / input?

One of the (many) things I get confused on is how closely to stick to the whole school type thing.

I think there's not a right or wrong answer to this.  But a lot of the stuff that we have valued the most in homeschooling are things that are more along the lines of time to follow rabbit trails, to be outside more, to take our time with topics that are tougher, to learn content that isn't typically taught in schools.  And that stuff takes time so we're never on the same page as the public schools.  And I don't especially care.  On the other hand, some people have the goal of being ahead of the public schools in all things and always doing "better" and that's fine too.  I think you just have to decide where you are philosophically.  Why are you doing this?  So when you want to make a decision, refer back to that answer.  Does it jibe with your real goals?

Nancy Larson Science

Math Mammoth with Make It Real (seems like a cool add on)

Pearson Core Knowledge History

Shurley English

One of my ds uses MM.  But I haven't heard great stuff about Make It Real - the opposite in fact.  I would suggest Primary Challenge Math instead, which both my boys have enjoyed and which teaches problem solving strategies.  Another fun supplement for a 4th grade boy might be The Book of Perfectly Perilous Math - all the problems involve escaping increasingly absurd death scenarios (zombie attacks, poison, etc.).  Be sure to give the MM placement test before hitting buy.

For history, I have zero familiarity with Pearson's program, but I would ask what your goals are.  Obviously there are a lot of Story of the World Fans on this site and many people who adhere to the 4 year history cycle.

The book of perfectly perilous math  sounds really cool!! Thanks I will look into that.

Our reason for homeschooling is social. He has Asperger's and ADHD. Things are not absolutely terrible but they are getting there, and I want to nip it in the bud before further damage is done.

Academically I lean toward the stay ahead of the curve mentality. I guess I'm too analytical and by the book type to be very comfortable with a more relaxed way. I like the idea of specific, numbered lessons, schedules, etc. The other way feels too cluttered and messy to my brain and he does better with structure. (not a judgement, my OCD mind just can't grasp the other way).

What drew me to the Pearson history, was the multi-perspective neutrality of it. I am Christian, but am concerned about choosing biased curriculum.

I don't really care about cc. As others have said, they can choose to go above and beyond. Some of the pushback is more against the ideology of sameness rather than the actual content of cc aligned curricula.

A couple of the curricula you listed would be high on my list if I was homeschooling 1 child. We use math mammoth and like it but I haven't tried make it real. We use bfsu for science. It is sort of my area of expertise so I don't really need the scripting of Nancy larson, but I am still drawn to it for the open and go factor. I really admire Hirsch's work but it just isn't set up to combine ages in a chronological cycle...not really a problem for 1 kid that may go back into ps though.

I do not, in any way, even think about Common Core when I evaluate curricula.

My standards:

Will this program teach my child to read?  to think?

Will this program teach my child to write?  not dribble on the page, but write?

After using this math curric, will my child be able to both work the procedural drill with speed and accuracy AND problem solve with skill.

Will my child get to know some amazing historical figures and love them so much they have to know more and ask the librarian for books about (fill in the blank)?

Will my child learn how to *do* science as well as gather a wealth of scientific knowledge...and again, find topics they love so much they have to go to the library?

These questions tell me what I need to know.  I don't care what state or national standards might say. If the children at my table are engaged and learning, we'll cover it all and more.  Time spent concerned over the CC, is time wasted that could have been spent engaging the kids.

The book of perfectly perilous math sounds really cool!! Thanks I will look into that.

Our reason for homeschooling is social. He has Asperger's and ADHD. Things are not absolutely terrible but they are getting there, and I want to nip it in the bud before further damage is done.

Academically I lean toward the stay ahead of the curve mentality. I guess I'm too analytical and by the book type to be very comfortable with a more relaxed way. I like the idea of specific, numbered lessons, schedules, etc. The other way feels too cluttered and messy to my brain and he does better with structure. (not a judgement, my OCD mind just can't grasp the other way).

What drew me to the Pearson history, was the multi-perspective neutrality of it. I am Christian, but am concerned about choosing biased curriculum.

I am Christian but concerned about biased curriculum (either way) as well. I am finding History Odyssey to work really well for us, though I don't know anything about Pearson for comparison. Granted, we haven't hit the early parts, so I may have to do a bit of "different people believe different things, and nobody quite knows for sure" about the origins of the earth stuff, but I really like that it's all laid out for us, what to do each day. At the same time, it's very easy to customize if you want to take two days to cover some material, or three, or whatever.

Also, Saxon math has worked well with our easily distractible child.

I also don't look at Common Core when I decide on programs. The only concession I might make is if CC means we have to change our preferred standardized test, which our state requires in certain grades; if we have to change to a CC aligned test, we may need to spend a little time hitting skills that are specifically part of the CC. But for day to day teaching, no, CC doesn't affect us at all.