Menu

Chemistry curriculum to go along w/ McHenry's The Elements?

scbusf

My middle school girls finished The Elements and needed more. Besides Carbon Chemistry, I have us watching Crash course chemistry and supplementing with online worksheets or from http://www.amazon.com/Physical-Science-Grades-12-100/dp/1568221886. We periodically use Conceptual chemistry to reinforce an idea. They also take notes and have quizzes using their notes, so it's also a note-taking practice. But I would not recommend crash course for elementary aged kids as he goes really fast and often throws in young adult humor that some might find offensive.

At 7, I would stay away from formal chemistry textbooks and focus more on discovery learning. Get him a chemistry set and a chemistry book and let him play and research as he needs. Then in a few years, cycle back around and give him a real chemistry course when he has some more algebra under his belt and has the stamina to tackle a heavy dry textbook.