Menu

Favorite Christmas crafts and kids

happypamama

I have high hopes to do some Christmas crafting/art next week.  My kids are 11, 8, 5, and 2 (and slingbaby), so obviously, they may not all enjoy the same things.  I am open to any suggestions for favorite things to create (other than cookies!).  Pinterest boards are fine, but I'd like to narrow it down a wee bit more than "type in 'Christmas craft' at Pinterest."  We will probably do some sort of bird feeder in January, because it'll be snowy and cold here for quite a while after that.  Religious is fine (welcome, even).

How about cinnamon/applesauce ornaments?  We did these when my kids were little.

3 C cinnamon

3 C applesauce

Directions
  1. Mix applesauce and cinnamon together until it is thick enough to hold a form when cut into cookie cutter shapes. Flatten the mixture on a flat surface and cut into cookie cutter shapes.
  2. Place cookie shapes on a cookie sheet to dry for 3 to 4 days depending on the size and thickness of the cookies. If using as a hanging ornament, make hole with toothpick before drying.

How about cinnamon/applesauce ornaments? We did these when my kids were little.

3 C cinnamon

3 C applesauce

Directions

• Mix applesauce and cinnamon together until it is thick enough to hold a form when cut into cookie cutter shapes. Flatten the mixture on a flat surface and cut into cookie cutter shapes.
  • Place cookie shapes on a cookie sheet to dry for 3 to 4 days depending on the size and thickness of the cookies. If using as a hanging ornament, make hole with toothpick before drying.

Oh, yes! My littles will love this! It'll smell good too. And hmmm, maybe we will have to make some painted salt dough ornaments too -- how can I possibly not have any of these yet? Great ideas!

I love kids crafts! Especially at Christmas. I'm not sure what I will do when my kids are too old to enjoy dorky crafts!  I blogged a couple of years ago about some we have enjoyed:

ribbon trees - easy and cute

paper ornaments = bigger than you think - easy - fun hanging above a door way or ceiling - the instructions show using grommets - we just used a stapler.

pompom ornaments - picture on blog - but not directions - easy - need: foam ball about 1.5 inches, sparkly pompoms, pins with colored ends, 4 inches of ribbon.  Start by pinning the ribbon in to a loop.  then pin pompoms all over the ball.  Easy, but a little dangerous with the pins everywhere.  Makes a fun ornament!

candy bar reindeer - we did these just this week - a cross between this and this - we used googly eyes, pipe cleaner antlers, then a larger brown circle, and the red paper circle nose.  We added a little glitter to the red nose.  So cute and easy!  We made these on mini candy bars and they turned out so cute!

candy bar santa - we made these on mini candy bars, too.  I have made these on bigger full size bars, and they are nice, but the tiny bars turned out so adorable.  We didn't use real buttons, we used just black hole punches.  easy!  

candy cane reindeer - easy, fun, cute!

This year we are planning to make:

popsicle stick snow flakes

and

danish hearts

I hope those links work....

Have fun crafting!