Menu

For those who read my post about "doggy potty issues"...

AimeeM

GSD, age 3, diarrhea and urinating in the house.

DH is taking a half day to take him to a new vet (last time I tried to take him, he jumped on me and cut me up pretty badly - scared of the other dogs - if you didn't read the other post, this is being addressed with a private trainer).

Everything I read in the mean time suggesting trying to fast him for a day or so. He seemed so hungry that I gave him rice (trainer said it was a decent bland choice). For the past two days, he's had rice... and no diarrhea or urinating in the house. It's kind of insane, really - he seems back to his bounding, hyper, excitable self, following me every time I get up, trying to sneak under the dining room table during dinner time, bouncing on the boys first thing in the morning with kisses, etc.

He has only peed in the house once (yesterday, and it was only a bit until I could get him outside) - and he tried to warn me (I had a young babe in the bathtub at the time) - but he clearly tried to alert me first (unlike before when he seemed to have no control over it). He still seems to be straining to poop outside, but he seems so much... better. He's back in the house and so alert again.

I'm going to have to give him something other than rice, because I know that this alone isn't a valid source of nutrition for him, but I'm kind of dreading not knowing how he'll respond to the food.

This isn't anything other than a bit of good news for our beloved Luke... and me feeling a bit apprehensive about tomorrow - having to give him something I'm not sure how he'll react to.

We'll find out more at the vet and I'll update (although I'm sure ya'll have better things to read, lol!).

Luke says thank you for listening and the sound advice given on the other thread :)

993380_10151649821791824_1544291550_n.jp

When our dogs would have diarrhea (more normal cases, not the extremes that you and Luke have been suffering through), on our vets' advice we'd begin by feeding rice + protein and possibly pumpkin (I understand from your prior post why you're currently leaving out the protein).  Then we were advised to gradually add back in the regular food by mixing it a little at a time with the rice and gradually building up the proportion of dog food until the dogs were back to all regular dog food and no rice.  So, perhaps when you re-try foods to see whether they agree with Luke or not, you could just add a small amount to the rice and see how he responds to it.

I hope that the problem was food intolerances and you can find a food that will work for him!

His trainer really wants us to try what she uses for her GSDs - it's a locally made food with absolutely no additives and very limited, all natural fillers.

How long could he go on just the rice? If his issue is a protein intolerance (is that even possible?!), what choices are we even going to have to meet his nutritional needs? He is really feeling SO much better right now - it's like he's back to his old self... he's a joy to have around again...

(he just stole my son's hashbrown... lol... trainer said his biggest problem is that he has rude tendencies *chuckle*)

Glad the rice is helping...I know a PP put food sensitivities (proteins) in order.  I know chicken is really high on that list, so if i were going to start with a protein, I'd work from the one that has the least allergies back towards the more common ones.  

His trainer really wants us to try what she uses for her GSDs - it's a locally made food with absolutely no additives and very limited, all natural fillers.

How long could he go on just the rice? If his issue is a protein intolerance (is that even possible?!), what choices are we even going to have to meet his nutritional needs? He is really feeling SO much better right now - it's like he's back to his old self... he's a joy to have around again...

(he just stole my son's hashbrown... lol... trainer said his biggest problem is that he has rude tendencies *chuckle*)

I doubt that he would be intolerant to ALL proteins.  It would just be a matter of finding which ones he can handle.  Trial and error process.

One thing you could try is a "prescription" hydrolyzed protein food like Hill's z/d or Purina HA.  Royal Canin makes one, too.  The food is broken down so that the protein molecules are too small to trigger an allergic reaction.  It's the protein molecules in food--whether that food is a protein or a grain or whatever--that trigger allergies.  Although they're targeted towards dogs with food allergies, these foods are used for intolerances, too, since the culprit is the same (the protein molecules).

Found some helpful info on hydrolyzed protein diets

The two biggest complaints I hear about hydrolyzed protein foods is that they're expensive and a lot of dogs don't like them.

I'm curious about the locally made food your trainer wants you to try.  Can you give the name?

I doubt that he would be intolerant to ALL proteins.  It would just be a matter of finding which ones he can handle.  Trial and error process.

One thing you could try is a "prescription" hydrolyzed protein food like Hill's z/d or Purina HA.  Royal Canin makes one, too.  The food is broken down so that the protein molecules are too small to trigger an allergic reaction.  It's the protein molecules in food--whether that food is a protein or a grain or whatever--that trigger allergies.  Although they're targeted towards dogs with food allergies, these foods are used for intolerances, too, since the culprit is the same (the protein molecules).

Found some helpful info on hydrolyzed protein diets

The two biggest complaints I hear about hydrolyzed protein foods is that they're expensive and a lot of dogs don't like them.

I'm curious about the locally made food your trainer wants you to try.  Can you give the name?

Right now he is using a lamb based food that is supposed to be made specifically for GSDs with "GSD common food sensitivities"... it didn't seem to work any better than the cheaper chicken based food we had been purchasing before though (and was much more expensive).

I'm not sure of the name - she comes tomorrow, so I'll ask her then. She only mentioned it a couple weeks ago, but first wanted us to try pumpkin in his dog food (didn't work), then fast/rice.