Menu

Science curriculum

arnold

For Sea Marine Science Explorations.  Once I figured out how to print it all out and assemble it it was great.  It is a very hands on curriculum and has been great for my kinesthetic learners. Not cheap for what you get but in our case probably some of the best money I have spent on curriculum.  It was written for a classroom but easy to adapt to home use.

This year my 5th grader is doing a homemade architecture course.

Last year he really enjoyed Thunderbolt Kids, which is all free downloads. I downloaded the TM on my android, DS read the student book on our desktop, and we did the work primarily orally. We only printed a page or two per chapter.

My younger DD working at a 4th-5th grade level is doing a little bit of astronomy, and reading lots of good books that teach science facts incognito.

Edited by SilverMoon

My current 4th grader is doing MP's Astronomy, along w/extra research and writing definitions using the Usborne 1st Encyclopedia of Space.  It is going great.  It is one subject that she loves and loves doing extra for.  Next semester she will study Earth Science using the Usborne encyclopedias mostly (the WTM way, read, experiment, write)

Haven't planned 5th grade for her yet.

Last year my 5th grader did a public school text in co-op: Science Explorers, grade 6.  They did tons of the experiments in class, and they did lots of worksheets and definition assignments assigned by the teacher.  She learned a lot, though it might not be the approach I would have used with her, I was glad to have her learn so much, do so much hands on, and not have to be in charge of it :)

Her 4th grade year was a WTM style chemistry and physics year using WTM recs. Went well.

http://www.explorationeducation.com/

We have the standard one.  I have been very impressed with this one.  DS is nearly done with it.  I plan to order it again for my younger son when the time comes.  I love that it comes with most of the supplies.  The projects are fun and work.  My son likes the games at the end of the lessons.  I'd say of all the stuff we have used (which has been a lot of different things) this one has been the best.

I checked that out when I was considering our science for this spring. The projects look really cool but ds doesn't seem to care for the online reading or at least everything we've tried thus far seems to be a dud.