Menu

Baby carrier help?

lavender's green

My little guy is 3 months old and he's driving me crazy.  He wants to be held just about constantly (except for sleeping, when he wants to be all alone in his crib), but he screams when he's in his carriers.  He loathes the infantino mei tai and the ergo is only slightly better.  He really wants to be sitting on my left arm and looking over my shoulder.  All.The.Time.  He hates anything that restrains his arms or cocoons him or makes his legs spread.  Does anyone know of a carrier that could help me?  He has very good head and neck control, and he weighs 15 pounds, so I need something that spreads that weight a little!  It's just really hard to cook, clean, or care for my toddler when I'm always holding him!

(Or just hold my hand and commiserate with me.  That works too. :P )

Guest submarines

He's in front with the Ergo.

He'll probably really like the back carry, considering he likes to look around. His arms will be free. His legs will be still spread, obviously, but it is really good for his hips. Maybe with a good view he won't mind the legs as much.

It is okay to do the back carry if his neck control is good.

I hope it works out!

He'll probably really like the back carry, considering he likes to look around. His arms will be free. His legs will be still spread, obviously, but it is really good for his hips. Maybe with a good view he won't mind the legs as much.

It is okay to do the back carry if his neck control is good.

I hope it works out!

Thanks very much!  I'll give it a try!

Guest submarines

Have you tied him on a hip?

This is another option I thought about as well. In a ring sling, in a hip carry. You can have the hip carry towards the back as well. Just make sure that the shoulder fabric is spread really well over your shoulder, and adjust the lower and the upper edges separately. This way you can have a fairly tight edge under his arms, so that the arms are free, but the back is snug and supported.

I think a ring sling might be better for the back support than a pouch sling.

Guest submarines

Thanks for the recommendations - I was under the impression that you couldn't do hip or back carry until they could sit up on their own?  Then again, he's always had unusually good head and neck control - he's been lifting his head since he was born.

I've done both earlier than 6 months, especially with baby #3. :thumbup1:

If his neck control is good, I wouldn't hesitate. Good luck!

I can't visualize what your mei tai ties like, but I had a pouch sling and as long as they have good head control you can do a hip carry. I would make it right in front of my left (non-dominant) arm so he could even fall asleep or rest his head on my arm. The cloth was pulled all the way up his back so he didn't need strong back muscles for that, just a strong neck. 

It can spread the legs a bit, or you can keep them together in more of a kangaroo carry (legs pulled in/knees bent or out straight but held together by the sling...that works better in a lying position). 

It looks kind of like this, covering the baby's back in the littlest ones (if he was back closer to the armpit he wouldn't even need that much cloth because your arm would be there as a support). As he gets stronger he'll want to sit right on your hip where he can see back and front. 

Regarding legs, just keep trying different things. They get used to the different positions and have their preferences, but he'll learn that he'll get walked more if he is in the sling and he'll start to accept some position. I found that starting off in the sling when they're sleepy and don't want to fuss too much helps. They get used to a position without realizing that it annoys them!

Best of luck. 

I would probably go with a MeiTai carrier and do a high back carry. You can position him so her can see over your shoulder if you tie high enough (think tieing the waist strap near the bust). You can also fold the waist up a time or two if the body of the carrier is too long for him right now.

I also liked to keep a long narrow scarf around if there is no hood because then you can make a makeshift hood/ neck support if/when he falls asleep.

There should be you tube videos for a high back carry with a MT.

Found this:

This shows the scarf thing (May not be needed depending on your carrier):