Menu

Tell me not to panic!

For whatever reason, I've begun to think of what I'm forgetting to teach my kids, especially the 15yo, and wondering how to get them on a more structured schedule, etc, while also taking care of the household and also pursuing a Masters Degree that literally takes 12-18 hours per week. Guess I just need encouragement. thanks!

Don't panic! :)

Sounds like you really have a lot on your plate.  How organized are you and your kids?  Is it pretty easy for all of you to get up in the morning, know exactly what needs to be done and how to get it accomplished then actually GET it accomplished (including school, chores, etc)?  Or do one or more of you struggle with areas of this?   Even struggling a little with EF can muck up your day.  I have somewhat weak Executive Function skills so organization is always a challenge for me.  I read Smart But Scattered when I was seeking ways to help my kids stay organized and found out there were some great suggestions in there for better ways to structure my own day, and gave me a much better understanding of how the brain functions.  It really helped to understand each of our strengths and weaknesses with EF skills.  My day (usually) flows so much better now, following suggestions in that book and from other parent educators and so does the rest of the family.  

Building Resilience in Children and Teens was beneficial, too....

Good luck!!

Go ahead and panic.  It burns  holiday calories!   :willy_nilly:   (Just kidding, Scrap.  You know I love ya!)

For my high school kid I looked at what I wanted him to have at graduation and worked backward in my planning.  It allowed me to see if we were on track for our academic goals.  In places where we weren't on track I then asked for specific advice on the high school board on how to tweak things or even planned to take extra time during the summer or an extra year.  

No advice as I'm in Major Panic Mode myself.  Comes from looking at my 17yo and realizing she is graduating in a matter of months yet I have so many things I still want/need to teach her!  I find myself looking at her 4-year plan over and over, critiquing what we've done, wishing we'd done more, and freaking out.  A lot.

This is not an easy process.  

OMGosh... I'm quoted! Lol

No use in beating yourself up or second guessing yourself after the fact. Just take stock of where you are and where you need to be by graduation then prioritize and plan it out. Some things you may not get to, but worse case scenario is a remedial class in college, right? I'm sure you did the best you could at the time with what you had so it's ok to give yourself a break! ((Hugs))

Thank you, all! Except maybe Jean, who encouraged my panic. Just kidding, Jean! 

Amazingly enough, I woke up this morning and discovered today I am not worried at all. I was reminded that my goal is to teach my kids HOW to learn not to teach them EVERYTHING they need to know! And sometimes,

sometimes, that means letting my 15yo own her Biology. What I mean is have her be responsible - not constantly remind her to do her schoolwork but let her fail if she doesn't do it. Hard to do but may be necessary! I posted today about the 9yo's attitude this morning. We'll see what transpires today.