Menu

One more cookie question

Night Elf

A few weeks ago, I tried making Nestle Tollhouse cookies using the recipe on the bag. They turned out bready. I threw them away and tried a second batch with the same results. Why are they bready? My MIL uses the same recipe and hers are soft and not bready at all. I'm wondering if any of my ingredients are old? How do I decide? What should I try?

Did you follow the directions exactly?  Like the butter should be very well creamed with the sugars before going on.

Make sure the butter is soft, but not melted (though that doesn't usually affect a doughy, heavy cookie. 

Too much flour can make them cakey (higher, more holes, may be what you call 'bready'). Do you fill the cup with spoon-fulls or just dip it into the flour? You may be impacting the flour by dipping the cup in and adding more flour than your MIL. 

My dd has done this.  In Europe, it's apparently common to weigh flour in baking in order to get precise measurements.  Since we use dry measures in the US, I usually *fluff* the flour in my canister and measure softly.  I use slightly less than the amount the recipe calls for.  So, for instance, my recipe calls for 3 - 3 1/2 cups, and I use no more than 3 1/4 cups.  

DO NOT measure flour straight out of the bag.  It's usually settled and packed down and will lead you to add too much flour.

HTH,

Lisa

I did follow the directions, including when to drop the eggs one at a time into the batter. I also do scoop the flour from the bag. Next time I'll try spooning it out. I did ask my MIL if she did anything differently and she uses shortening instead of butter. Oh, and I tried margarine in one batch and real butter in the second batch and that didn't seem to make any difference.

I've been making the recipe since I was ten years old and have changed a few things to get the perfect outcome.  Changes: the bag originally called for 2 1/4 c flour.  I changed it to 2 1/2.  Always use butter, never substitute.  1c of brown sugar and 1/2 c of white sugar.  The recipe called for equal amounts (3/4c).  Bake only 7-8 min.  They won't look done but they will be about 1 min. after pulling out of the oven.  Cover as soon as they've cooled to keep the moisture in the cookies.  Perfection!