Menu

bleached out spots on laundry

Are you using liquid detergent? I had a few incidents of bleached out spots on some clothes this summer. (Grrrr) I had changed detergents and the new one was powerful enough to bleach out the spots where the detergent landed after I poured it into the machine, or if I used the detergent as a pre-wash.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Facial cleaning products for acne. When my daughter lived at home it was a constant irritation to find clothing with bleach spots on them.

If it was from the acne products used wouldn't it just be on clothing that perhaps dd was wearing and accidentally found some on? We find it on all of our clothing, sheets etc. and it is very sporadic.

My new machine has a liquid detergent dispenser so I would assume that it wouldn't get on the clothing until it was diluted.

I occasionally use a spray and wash type product but I know I don't use it with the towels or sheets and it happens on them too.

It's such a mystery.

Guest Virginia Dawn

If any of the acne cleanser gets on washclothes or towels used to wipe faces, or pillowcases, it can rub off or transfer in the laundry basket or washing machine.

• 11 months later...

We have ruled out any kind of topical ointment, cream etc. that she is using. She doesn't use anything on the back of her neck and this is mainly where the problem is. The inside of the back collar is bleached. It isn't in spots. It's all along the back collar. She also only puts on acne med on a few spots on her face and only does it when she is wearing pajamas. She washes her hands before she touches anything. The next day she takes a shower and washes her face before she changes into clothing and doesn't put any more cream on.

Now we've also noticed that the wall by her light switch in her room has bleached hand prints. We also recently bought new bath towels. Whenever she uses the acne meds she washes her hands well and then dries with a hand towel-not the bath towel. The bath towels are now getting bleached.

We really feel that it is something being caused by her sweat. Has anyone heard of this? My dh did a google and did find a few health problems that can cause. Now we're wondering if somehow the insomnia and this bleaching problem could be related.

We had a problem when my oldest ds was living at home and used Axe(sp?) body spray. Whatever it got on left bleached out areas.

Also, I have had a problem with a bit of bleach getting left behind when I did the tub clean feature on my washer. I solved that by running the tub clean a second time with no bleach to make sure it all got washed out.