Menu

beekeepers? (ADDITIONAL) advice needed

athomeontheprairie

My dh has two hives, but would like a couple more. I have no knowledge of u the hives, but would like to Getty him another one for Christmas. The hives we have he inherited.

Can you recommenda give to me? Where is a good place to buy? (and if you know of any place that is having a sale, even better! )

tia!

We buy from a local brushy mountain dealer. Some other local people are cheaper but we like buying in person from this fellar because of all his help and chitchat too.

If you have a local bee club, you probably have a few local suppliers you can purchase from and help support them.

Navigating beekeeping equipment can be daunting for a beginning beekeeper. You would need to know whether your hives are 10 frame or 8 frame, whether you are running deeps, or mediums for brood, and that can be a real challenge with hives that came from someone else! (Ask me how I know--we are still sorting out standards from mediums and shallows in my Dad's hives!) If you know what the hives are, I would try to get similar set-ups so that you can swap out frames when you need to.

If you are looking for bees, you may want to look around. I'm trying to source a nuc of Russians for next year, but we will be ordering now and picking up in the spring. I'd almost rather do that than plan on getting bees shipped, but that's me.

My go to sources are Dadant, Mann Lake, Brushy Mountain, depending on what I need. But if I might make a suggestion? Get him a bee journal. I got that for my father last Christmas and he's learned a lot from reading the articles and the question/answer sections.

Or get him a gift certificate. Then he can decide what he wants to run and pick them out. Remember that the cheapest way to get equipment is in pieces, and you pay more for someone else to assemble and paint it for you.

You guys are amazing! Thank you! Now I have one more question, I was able to buy hives that match the ones we have ( thank you for that suggestion!)

now for bees? any great places to order? I don't think there's anyone near us, so they will need to be shipped. what should I look for? we have two hives now. he bought these last year and one hive died. then the next week a wild swarm showed up :-).

what should I look for when I order? I know I need a mated queen, with clipped wings? but, is there a pre that that is better than another?

thank you all so much for your help!