Menu

Anybody try My Father's World for 6-8th grades?

My Father's World seems like such a great idea to me but I'd like to hear about grades 6-8.  I'm considering a switch from Calvert because of cost, as well as the fact that I do wish I could incorporate Christian views more throughout the day.  I do know that I want something fairly open-and-go, and that has all the planning done for me, and includes variety.  They are having a December sale so now might be a good time to purchase, too.

For 7th and 8th grade, I'd like to hear if you felt it was challenging enough, if your kids felt the projects were babyish, if you enjoyed Writing Strands, and if your students were really learning a lot and being exposed to new ideas and new informaiton.  We would be using Exploration to 1850 for 7th and 1850-modern for 8th along with my daughter who will be 5th and 6th grades.  I know it will be enough for her but I look at the student pages, teacher pages, writing assignments, reading assignments and samples and it looks like it is easier/less interesting than what he is doing this year in Calvert 6th.  

I know of one user who pops in here and on HSR who consistently gives great feedback and detailed reviews and has shared that MFW has always been enough for her bright college bound daughter.  But I'd like more feedback than just one person.  

We are not super super academic.  I just want to give my kids a good, balanced education on par with what they would get at a good private school but with the love and support of being at home, and time to pursue their own interests and free reading.  I have Classical ideals but am flexible. 

We just finished Explorer's to 1850 and started 1850-Modern today.  My kids are in 7th and 8th grade.  It's not rigorous by any means, but I love it.  You definitely can add in some things to beef it up if you choose.  I will give my 8th grader an extra book to read on our history topic and have her write me a paragraph about one thing she learned or thought was interesting from the book.  Botany is used in the Explorer's - 1850 2nd semester for science and my children kept a nature journal the whole time in addition to the curriculum.  Nature walks every Friday.  Those are just a few examples of things you could add in. 

Even though it may be more relaxed than what your child is used to, I think he will learn a lot and enjoy it.

We did. Once. You can see our experience and several others in this thread. ~ http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/355830-does-anyone-hate-mfw/?fromsearch=1 :)

Thanks Moon.  This was my concern.

This year with Calvert 6th my son is seriously being academically challenged in a very positive way.   He is really really being stretched to think, to discuss, to make connections, to learn to study, to organize himself and to become a clear and effective communicator.  We have delved very deep into poetry, and he has done an oral report, as well as learning to submit written papers with proper format, etc. etc.  And when I say "challenging" I mean in the good sense of the word, in that he is being challenged to think, apply, study, and make connections for real understanding (as opposed to busy work or frustration).  The ONLY subject that feels crammed is Science but that could also perhaps be that we have taken a huge Science leap from studying birds ala Apologia elementary and now suddenly we are doing an in depth study of chemistry.  Aside form balancing equations, (he only has to learn about it and try it a few times) this chemistry is almost what I learned in high school Chemistry with the exception of the breadth of it. 

I just really can't see going from that to coloring states and birds, and 2 paragraph narrations for history and listening to books read aloud which would target a 4th grader.  ? 

As far as beefing it with Progeny Press, I don't know about that either because we used a Progeny Guide last year in 5th grade and while it was good for a 5th grader, I thought the guides from the Middle School section would be underwhelming for a 7th or 8th grader.  Unless I just chose high school level guides.

I guess between reading that thread and talking to myself I just talked myself out of it.  I also can't see my cc cycling back around to ECC or CTG in her 7th grade year.  

I'm going to take a look at Hewitt again and maybe that's a better direction for us.  Or stick with Calvert.

it was enough for my strong academic college bound child (12th grader this year).   I figured the original poster really doesn't want my opinion.(and she's made it clear she's not going to use MFW, and that's great!)

maybe I'll chime in later for others who will read in future years who want to hear another side of it.

but for now...  :)  happy thanksgiving

Donna, I'm so glad you chimed in. I wasn't 100% sure if she was talking about you or me, or both of us in her first post about the person who posts on here and another forum. giggle giggle.. Maybe she meant you.  that's it..   I feel better now. I'll say it was you.   LOL LOL

condensed version b/c I'm not coming back to this thread next week or even later to share more......  if someone who doesn't read all of my posts wants my details, send me  a PM. I can give more info.  but nothing is right for everyone.

My kids didn't think it was baby to use mfw in jr. high. I found a lot more to do than just color flowers.;)  I like read alouds that are doable for me to read out loud.  I like projects that don't crowd my day or house. I noticed how sometimes I have been able to take in our mfw projects into my adult sunday school class to share and help others to understand what the teacher said. 

We dont' really like writing strands - too much work on mom to teach and grade.I don't think I'd like any writing program honestly.  I think the same about EIW and IEW.

I found the mfw jr. high stuff to be jr. high when listening to how my children's peers in public and group school were doing stuff.  My child grew in knowledge, wisdom and life skills while we used mfw.   mileage will vary.     Oldest did ECC in 7th, CTG in 8th.  Middle gal did EX1850 in 7th and 1850MOD in 8th.  it was good.  we liked it. apparently I give too many details.. so there you have it. it wasn't baby for us.  it wasn't do your worksheet.  When curriculum gives ideas - that is not a ceiling to stop.

but mileage will vary.   I have not regretted using MFW.  happy with it.  homeschooling works.   no such thing as perfect curriculum. only a perfect God who loves those kids more than I do.

Calming Tea:(using my jedi mind powers here..) MFW is not what you are looking for.  don't let the end of year shopping prices fool you.    It is not the program you want..  There is nothing in it for you.... .It isn't' your style of school....   it really isn't....and that's ok...  (jedi mind powers off)

happy thanksgiving!  I'm out of here to do some more dancing to Toby Mac's Thankful for You.   go devoted fitness!!!  wahoo!!!

Thanks Moon.  This was my concern.

This year with Calvert 6th my son is seriously being academically challenged in a very positive way.   He is really really being stretched to think, to discuss, to make connections, to learn to study, to organize himself and to become a clear and effective communicator.  We have delved very deep into poetry, and he has done an oral report, as well as learning to submit written papers with proper format, etc. etc.  And when I say "challenging" I mean in the good sense of the word, in that he is being challenged to think, apply, study, and make connections for real understanding (as opposed to busy work or frustration).  The ONLY subject that feels crammed is Science but that could also perhaps be that we have taken a huge Science leap from studying birds ala Apologia elementary and now suddenly we are doing an in depth study of chemistry.  Aside form balancing equations, (he only has to learn about it and try it a few times) this chemistry is almost what I learned in high school Chemistry with the exception of the breadth of it. 

I just really can't see going from that to coloring states and birds, and 2 paragraph narrations for history and listening to books read aloud which would target a 4th grader.  ? 

As far as beefing it with Progeny Press, I don't know about that either because we used a Progeny Guide last year in 5th grade and while it was good for a 5th grader, I thought the guides from the Middle School section would be underwhelming for a 7th or 8th grader.  Unless I just chose high school level guides.

I guess between reading that thread and talking to myself I just talked myself out of it.  I also can't see my cc cycling back around to ECC or CTG in her 7th grade year.  

I'm going to take a look at Hewitt again and maybe that's a better direction for us.  Or stick with Calvert.

I have no experience or advice re to MFW, but if I had ever found something that could do for us (at home) what you said Calvert is doing for you, I would be doing a happy dance.  (As it is, the closest we've come to that is participating in Challenge at CC - a whole 'nother story.)  I think you have your answer. 

What do you mean by "no grading option"?  You can certainly grade their assignments of you want to.  But it's not really necessary when you're doing group learning, anyway, because of the ongoing discussion.  You KNOW what they're learning as you go because you get constant feedback.  Their narrations (both written and oral) and notebook pages are part of that.  MFW is very easy to beef up for an advanced student IF one wants to.  Marie even gives suggestions for that in the manual, and there are all sorts of suggestions on the forums... one being the fact that the notebook pages are specifically designed for individual creativity and additional "input" by each student, as desired.

MFW high school *does* give a grading scale, a writing rubric, and many other "grading options" in the manuals, btw.  But I don't think it's necessary at the elementary level.  They're getting graded in the skill subjects, anyway.  Content subjects are a lot harder to assign an unbiased "grade" to, though, unless you're using a textbook with has review questions and tests that are looking for the supposed "right" answer.... which really isn't unbiased at all. :lol:

MFW is very flexible for multiple ages, and they designed it that way on purpose. ;)  The wide variety of reading and viewing material listed in Book Basket for every age from preschool-adult is part of that flexibility.  They KNOW that some hard-working 8th graders are going to be doing these programs.

Just adding my comments for those who might be reading the thread who are interested. :thumbup1:

You know exactly what I mean by "grading option." Why do you  equivocate?  I meant by grading: an option to send in stuff to be graded by someone other than me.  Obviously anybody can grade his or her own homeschool stuff.  

And actually, I didn't just want to be talked out of it.  I wanted to be talked into it.  I really really really love the idea.  But every time I evaluate the idea, I just can't seem to make it work for my needs.  I really thought that this year might be different because of the timing of it.  

One of the things that scares me away, is the fact that people keep saying you can beef it up if you want to ...I don't want to stress over beefing things up.  I'd rather have something to work towards.   

My own kids would certainly not be offended by something being gentle/easy.  They are just kids, and they have no pre-conceived notion of what schoolwork should be.  My son probably be happy to have less memorizing and making of flashcards in history especially.  

The high school program looks very academic to me...it's the 7th and 8th that seem to leave some work up to the parent to beef up....between that and the lack of the grading option...I guess it won't work for our personalities.

Also, I don't know why you laugh at traditional grading.  My son has a specific person who grades his work for the entire year.  The questions are very in depth.  They require tons of short answer and essay questions, and require the student to make connections between subjects, analyze information, give thought out opinions on what they have learned, and make predictions and theories as well as explaining why things work the way they do in Science.  I'm sure there are "test mills" that just give multiple choice tests which can only be answered by memorizing and spitting back info, but we have found these to be very worthwhile.  The tests have spurred us on to more serious study, more discussion, more reading, and in general a better work ethic as well.

Not saying that's the end-all, be-all of education!  My kids thrived and my daughter still thrives with the CM style narration of her subjects, her reading, discussion and having no written tests.  I think a middle school and high school student could easily thrive with that as well.  But, traditional testing is not something to be easily dismissed or laughed at.  When done well, it can be a very useful tool.

Lastly, I feel that no one necessarily attacked MFW in a way which was not fair or thought-out.  No one degraded MFW in this thread.  Why you feel the need to come on and make a very aggressive and defensive post, (also including the laughing icon for good measure) is a little beyond me.  I just don't think it furthered our conversation in this thread, and that's a shame because you actually have excellent information in your posts between the weeds, information which is indeed helpful to me or any others reading this in the future.  

PS I think the main crux of why MFW doesn't appeal to me is that I don't have a bunch of children.  I have only two, and combining is not necessary at all. But, those two are very close in age and between that and my desires/personality, I don't see the need or desire to choose a program which I will need to beef up, or which my dd will have to repeat herself.  If I had two very far apart in age, or more than 2, this would probably be ideal. 

Donna, I'm so glad you chimed in. I wasn't 100% sure if she was talking about you or me, or both of us in her first post about the person who posts on here and another forum. giggle giggle.. Maybe she meant you.  that's it..   I feel better now. I'll say it was you.   LOL LOL

condensed version b/c I'm not coming back to this thread next week or even later to share more......  if someone who doesn't read all of my posts wants my details, send me  a PM. I can give more info.  but nothing is right for everyone.

My kids didn't think it was baby to use mfw in jr. high. I found a lot more to do than just color flowers. ;)  I like read alouds that are doable for me to read out loud.  I like projects that don't crowd my day or house. I noticed how sometimes I have been able to take in our mfw projects into my adult sunday school class to share and help others to understand what the teacher said. 

We dont' really like writing strands - too much work on mom to teach and grade.I don't think I'd like any writing program honestly.  I think the same about EIW and IEW.

I found the mfw jr. high stuff to be jr. high when listening to how my children's peers in public and group school were doing stuff.  My child grew in knowledge, wisdom and life skills while we used mfw.   mileage will vary.     Oldest did ECC in 7th, CTG in 8th.  Middle gal did EX1850 in 7th and 1850MOD in 8th.  it was good.  we liked it. apparently I give too many details.. so there you have it. it wasn't baby for us.  it wasn't do your worksheet.  When curriculum gives ideas - that is not a ceiling to stop.

but mileage will vary.   I have not regretted using MFW.  happy with it.  homeschooling works.   no such thing as perfect curriculum. only a perfect God who loves those kids more than I do.

Calming Tea:(using my jedi mind powers here..) MFW is not what you are looking for.  don't let the end of year shopping prices fool you.    It is not the program you want..  There is nothing in it for you.... .It isn't' your style of school....   it really isn't....and that's ok...  (jedi mind powers off)

happy thanksgiving!  I'm out of here to do some more dancing to Toby Mac's Thankful for You.   go devoted fitness!!!  wahoo!!!

Useful, cute, sweet post.  Thank you.  Very funny in the end, too.

PS I didn't say I didn't want your opinion at all. Just need more!  That's why I like the Hive- 300 people's reviews/experiences really do help one decide on things!!

I have no experience or advice re to MFW, but if I had ever found something that could do for us (at home) what you said Calvert is doing for you, I would be doing a happy dance.  (As it is, the closest we've come to that is participating in Challenge at CC - a whole 'nother story.)  I think you have your answer. 

With all of this Common Core bru-ha-ha, I am concerned more about the direction that Calvert is going.  I have always been careful and concerned, and reading over his shoulder, and along side and discussing things all the time.  But I have not had to worry to this extent.  I did speak with an Ed  Counselor who said that NONE of the literature is being changed in K-8...but I will have to watch and see what they are doing with it...going into high school, I feel my students should study some great work of literature, and in light of Biblical Truth would be great, as it would free me up from having to read and discuss every single book my student reads (which I currently do.)  (MFW fits many of my criteria for high school)

And since I'd rather not switch curricula in 8th-12th grade, I am considering now what to do, for 7th.  Hewitt looks like a good possibility, unless we decide to stick it out with Calvert through 8th, while keeping a close eye on what they choose for high school, and the direction they take.

>>You know exactly what I mean by "grading option." Why do you  equivocate?  I meant by grading: an option to send in stuff to be graded by someone other than me.  Obviously anybody can grade his or her own homeschool stuff.  

Actually, no, I didn't know what you meant.  That's why I was confused and asked. :confused1:   If I realized you were referring to a "school" who does the grading for you, I would've just said right off the bat that you should stick with Calvert or Abeka or CLP.

>>One of the things that scares me away, is the fact that people keep saying you can beef it up if you want to ...I don't want to stress over beefing things up.  I'd rather have something to work towards. 

Then you don't want a multi-level learning program at all.  You want grade-level specific.  One of the things we moms who use multi-level learning programs love about them is the ability to either beef up or do "just the basics" as needed and desired... the flexibility to tailor one complete program to each of our individual children.  We do have goals to work toward, though.  I'm not sure why the fact that it's a unit study would automatically mean there aren't goals to work toward.  We do have our kids learn grammar, writing, spelling, vocab, math, science, various types of essays, research projects, foreign language, a broad understanding of history from a biblical worldview, a solid foundation of biblical knowledge, wisdom, and the ability to defend their faith, and much more.

I just don't think you're a CM gal at heart, CT, or a unit study gal.  You've always loved textbooks.  I think you should probably just stay the course. ;) 

Calming Tea.....   count me as one who did not understand what you meant by grading option until you explain it further.   I thought you were talking about rubrics and tests in the materials. (in high school they offer farily detailed how to do the grading in your home, so that's where my brain went.)

I honestly did not know you meant you want something that has something like a school to enroll. 

Now that you explain that aspect, it makes more sense. 

worked for us to repeat when programs with only 2 children... 3 years apart..   no such thing as one size fits all. 

but it's clear to me that a do it yourself style of thing like MFW, or TOG or stuff like that isn't anything you want at all.  But you could pay me to grade stuff for you.   ooh...  now there's a small business idea for me.....  I could at least offer to people in AHL grading services on those argumentative essays...   help on stuff in jr. high..

ooh....

neato...

>>You know exactly what I mean by "grading option." Why do you  equivocate?  I meant by grading: an option to send in stuff to be graded by someone other than me.  Obviously anybody can grade his or her own homeschool stuff.  

Actually, no, I didn't know what you meant.  That's why I was confused and asked. :confused1:   If I realized you were referring to a "school" who does the grading for you, I would've just said right off the bat that you should stick with Calvert or Abeka or CLP.

and do keep Hewitt on that list of school for grading.   They do offer that too.   They web site confused me for a long time on that, but the catalog made it clear.     Hewitt might really be more along the lines of blending the ideas that seem to be what you like......   something "literature" based, but on grade specific vs. "mulit age"...   and they offer the full range of grading and record keeping stuff and their own graduation tracks for high school.  at least 3 tracks on high school basic regular college prep.. 

Jedi Master again:  MFW is definitely not what you are looking for. 

>>One of the things that scares me away, is the fact that people keep saying you can beef it up if you want to ...I don't want to stress over beefing things up.  I'd rather have something to work towards. 

Then you don't want a multi-level learning program at all.  You want grade-level specific.  One of the things we moms who use multi-level learning programs love about them is the ability to either beef up or do "just the basics" as needed and desired... the flexibility to tailor one complete program to each of our individual children.  We do have goals to work toward, though.  I'm not sure why the fact that it's a unit study would automatically mean there aren't goals to work toward.  We do have our kids learn grammar, writing, spelling, vocab, math, science, various types of essays, research projects, foreign language, a broad understanding of history from a biblical worldview, a solid foundation of biblical knowledge, wisdom, and the ability to defend their faith, and much more.

I just don't think you're a CM gal at heart, CT, or a unit study gal.  You've always loved textbooks.  I think you should probably just stay the course. ;)

Calming Tea.....   count me as one who did not understand what you meant by grading option until you explain it further.   I thought you were talking about rubrics and tests in the materials. (in high school they offer farily detailed how to do the grading in your home, so that's where my brain went.)

I honestly did not know you meant you want something that has something like a school to enroll. 

Now that you explain that aspect, it makes more sense. 

worked for us to repeat when programs with only 2 children... 3 years apart..   no such thing as one size fits all. 

but it's clear to me that a do it yourself style of thing like MFW, or TOG or stuff like that isn't anything you want at all.  But you could pay me to grade stuff for you.   ooh...  now there's a small business idea for me.....  I could at least offer to people in AHL grading services on those argumentative essays...   help on stuff in jr. high..

ooh....

neato...

Yeah, you guys are totally right..unit studies are just not my thing and while I enjoyed some CM aspects in the early years we all just function better with the more traditional approach here.  :o)  Hewitt looks like a great possibility for us.  :o)  THanks for being cool.

You could still pay me to grade your mfw stuff.   wink wink. giggle..  ooh...  LOL..  nah...   then I'd have to read other kids' papers and all of that.  amazing when money is involved though.. I could do it... 

snap out of it crystal!

Hewitt almost seems to me like it offers that almost CM/unit study feel with the history.... parent taught using BF, but with the school services connection.   some stuff Hewitt and MFW have same materials to use, but again done differently.   you make me keep drooling at it.   shame my youngest isn't smart enough yet for hewitt.. She does the LL grade 2 pilot program..  hmm..  oh well, that's not the concern on this thread... she's only 11...  no.. she's not in mfw..  my other 2 kids are..

anyway....  my oldest took my van, so I'm stuck here.  now I'm going to find a thread with supper ideas. and get ready for finals of dwts while watching ncis.  and ncis la... 

And since I'd rather not switch curricula in 8th-12th grade, I am considering now what to do, for 7th.  Hewitt looks like a good possibility, unless we decide to stick it out with Calvert through 8th, while keeping a close eye on what they choose for high school, and the direction they take.

I know I said I had to do other stuff (like figuring out supper, since I forgot to menu plan today)... but something in this really stuck me and I wanted to share:

You said stuff in mfw with biblical and literature stuff sounds neat in high school.   You don't have to do the same thing in jr. high as you do in high school.  I know people who have started MFW in 9th grade and been fine.  I have one friend whose 3rd child was his first child to homeschool.  They started homeschooling in middle of 10th grade.  and were pilot families for mfw.  That son has now graduated college and has job in his field.

I understand the dont' want to switch feeling...  but maybe you could try Hewitt in 7th and 8th...   see what you think...   Then, you could try mfw in 9th and 10th -- since it's not really like the younger years.. it isn't.. . and if it really is yucky or too little to do (notgrass is not super rigor in exploring world history)..   reconsider for 11th and 12th.

I say this as someone with one to graduate in a few short weeks ...   Don't feel locked into what you start in curriculum in 8th is what you will finish in 12th.  even though we used the same program with her...  I'm not convinced that I couldn't have changed in 11th and 12th and thinking 1.5 years away...  it's possible my middle gal will not graduate using mfw..  I don't know.... 

but I really wanted to give you that permission to think of it in groups of 2 years... 7/8 9/10. 11/12th..... 

now to really figure out... what casserole to make with leftovers and go find my cat...  wait!  that sounds wrong.. I'm not eating the cat.  I just want her back inside.. it's cold outside baby..

What about HOD? I don't know much about Calvert, but after trying a traditional approach (Abeka) I went with MFW and my ADD brain wasn't happy...too much planning for me,too much freedom,not to mention that I thought my oldest wasn't challenged enough. HOD works,my kids enjoy it,I'm a happy mommy now :) I love the boxes and all the planning done for me. My son (a 5th grader) works mostly independently. The history is interesting, using some easy , student directed hands-onprojects, the writing is excellent,especially combined with Rod&staff grammar. We supplement a little the science,only because my son is hungry for more. The way HOD is planned,leaves plenty of room to supplement.

Plus, with HOD you don't have to jump in a certain history period,just go from where your child places in skills,according to their placement. Sorry,you didn't ask about HOD and I intrude here :) but just thought I'd offer another option as it seems it's not a popular curriculum yet.

What about HOD? I don't know much about Calvert, but after trying a traditional approach (Abeka) I went with MFW and my ADD brain wasn't happy...too much planning for me,too much freedom,not to mention that I thought my oldest wasn't challenged enough. HOD works,my kids enjoy it,I'm a happy mommy now :) I love the boxes and all the planning done for me. My son (a 5th grader) works mostly independently. The history is interesting, using some easy , student directed hands-onprojects, the writing is excellent,especially combined with Rod&staff grammar. We supplement a little the science,only because my son is hungry for more. The way HOD is planned,leaves plenty of room to supplement.

Plus, with HOD you don't have to jump in a certain history period,just go from where your child places in skills,according to their placement. Sorry,you didn't ask about HOD and I intrude here :) but just thought I'd offer another option as it seems it's not a popular curriculum yet.

I'm starting a spin-off about the bolded statement because I feel the same way, and would love to talk it through.

OK, I had a couple of thoughts while reading this thread, but you have way more experience than me, so take these comments for the little they're worth:

1-VP omnibus (jh) or HOD sound like they might work better for you. ? Doesn't the omnibus also have an academy type option that might allow you more of that grading option you're looking for? HOD is geared more toward specific ages, so more work is done for you in the planning of direct assignments for specific age levels.

2-when you talked about grading options, I thought you meant you wanted tests. I was going to suggest you just buy tests for each textbook separately--like I have bought for SOTW and the AIG science book.

3-It kind of frustrates me when people on this forum act like SOTW 3 or 4 are inappropriate for 7-8th graders. SWB specifically puts that age range on the books, and doesn't recommend volume 4 for lower than 4th grade. They are a fine living book to use for that age, best done the way SWB recommends--with outlining and additional reading in Kingfisher. TOG and other companies assign SOTW as alternate resources. Why make it sound like MFW is using childish resources? MFW adds Genevieve Foster books as well, which I thought were jh level, no? If not, why not add some Hakim books or Kingfisher or whichever other spine you like (MOH?) for book basket time and call it done. That doesn't have to be too much extra work beefing it up. In fact in 7-8th grades, your kids could use their own study skills to find in the table of contents the related subject and read it on their own without you even having to assign certain pages. Anyway, I've heard that before, not just related to MFW about SOTW, and it seems like people have 1st grade fixed in their mind for SOTW from volume 1.

4-Writing Strands doesn't matter to the equation really. It's not scheduled in MFW. I wondered what you meant in regards to Calvert helping your children make connections. Are you referring to a writing portion of Calvert that does that? I know nothing about Calvert. If so, you could still use the writing portion of Calvert with MFW if that's what you liked. If you meant other subjects, then that sounds like one more reason to stick with what you like and what sounds like is challenging your kids well.

Hope you find something you love!

Writing Strands doesn't matter to the equation really. It's not scheduled in MFW.

Actually, it is scheduled from ECC and up, but it still doesn't matter because many people use something different for writing.  There's a lot of room on the grid for that reason... so that you can write in your own book or lesson plans in the 3 R's.  No one is bound to MFW's recommendations for the 3 R's.  They're just recommendations, with instructions in the manual for how to use them.  Part of the reason for these particular recommendations, however, is for the sake of efficiency -- time and cost -- and part of the reason is in keeping with CM methods, especially in language arts.  Notice that they shift between publishers and the intensity of work in the skill areas between the grammar stage, the logic stage, and the rhetoric stage.

IF one were to come into MFW during the middle school years and wanted to try Writing Strands, they could use this chart as a guide for correct placement:  http://www.writing-strands.com/curriculum.asp

Amy, I think you made some great suggestions.  You have obviously been doing your research. Don't ever feel bad chiming in because you are new. :o)

VP is overwhelming to me as far as rigor.  More importantly. I don't like some of their choices.  I am very sensitive and I have one very sensitive child, so some of their stuff really just would be emotionally overwhelming to us.  SOnlight is kind of like that for us too.  We started reading The House of Sixty Fathers and we were all feeling so dragged down by it, that I decided to put it off for a year.  One of my kids is the target age range and the other two years older. Entering into one heavy book was enough for us, let alone a whole stack of them!  :o(

MFW seems like it has a great balance of so many things.  But I am thinking that CBollin's point makes sense. I should either stick with Calvert or try Hewitt for 2 years, with the plan of considering MFW again in high school.  The high school program is quite different in its design.  

I'm just going to stick with Calvert through 8th grade.  We've had a lot of wonderful discussions this year, and I only expect that to continue.  We have found something that works great for us.  I'll keep MFW in mind for high school, because by then maybe they will have a (outside) grading service!  :o)

.  I'll keep MFW in mind for high school, because by then maybe they will have a (outside) grading service!   :o)

or maybe I'll be in business for that by then...   giggle giggle...  my cat and I could grade for you.  she could wear a hat and grade papers.  :hat:

:lol:

I am very quick to use books targeted far below or far above the age I am teaching. We will quickly read easy books for an introduction. We will just look at pictures and read the captions in difficult books. Books are tools not taskmasters. 

I like SOTW 4. It fills in a lot of holes in a lot of curricula. I'll use it for any age I need to fill a hole. I got it for $9.99 for my Kindle, and am really thankful to own it. It's a multipurpose tool, good for many jobs.

Rigor was for Egyptian slaves making bricks. It's a word I'm learning to hate.

You cannot compare apples and oranges. Some Christian curricula have very different goals. Some people HATE it when I link to this Greek vs Hebrew worldview chart, but it's an INTRODUCTION to how some Christian curricula can have very different goals.

http://www.heartofwisdom.com/homeschoollinks/greek-vs-hebrew-education/

I hear ya...on the whole "rigor" thing.  I think every family and situation is different.  It also seems to me that, it depends on what a child is used to.  In my experience kids just sort of rise to whatever challenges are brought to them and if those challenges are brought little by little, all in good time, then there doesn't have to be any stress in the bargain.

I mean, there is a limit obviously.  Not all children have the same temperament, IQ, level of focus, and desire for formal learning...so many things play into it.  I for one, am not pushing my children to enter the hotbed of stress at 17 by making them think their whole lives depend on what they do in 3 years from 14-16....around here getting into certain colleges requires so much stress, perfect grades, extremely high SAT scores, and you STILL have to be "well rounded," be involved in your community and be a model of character in every regard. THey even want to see that you did some music and theatre, EVEN IF you have Zero desire or talent in those areas!  Ridiculous.  

But on the other hand, we are seeing here this year that having some challenge has been very worthwhile.  The mental exercises, conversation, discussion and a little character issues are really stretching both of my kids to work hard with their minds.  They are also learning to work hard elsewhere too of course.  Its just part of life- to nudge them forward little by little.

When our kids were little, we had decided that in terms of education, we would always try to affirm their character instead of their intelligence, by saying, "Good job!  You worked very hard.  You persevered and didn't give up!  Your study skills showed through!" etc. etc.

Then we heard a very well researched and well documented, peer reviewed study that showed that kids who were told they were smart all the time did significantly worse in life, than kids whose parents focused on character- regadless of IQ.  Across the board, the kids whose parents said, "You worked hard, keep working, be diligent, I love the hard work..." ended up being almost 100 % successful whereas kids who were always told how smart they were often didn't follow through to finish their goals ...

So I get what you are saying.

In regards to using lower level books and kids still getting something out of them, of course that makes perfect sense.  THere is a time and place....but for me it's not really what I want at this time, especially since the other aspects of MFW don't work out for me.  But I get what Hunter is sayijng.  I have a hobby of reading juvenile non fiction books about countries and cities.  They are about on a 6th-7th grade reading level and have realistic pictures.  You know- the boring books your kids might take out for a report.  I read tons of them, and I love them BECAUSE they are "easy" and I get so much out of them.  Then, I often end up following rabbit trails on the internet, or taking out related books on the topics of wards, historical points of interest, and such related to the individual countries.  If I had to slog through a college level book on Belarus....I would never read it and then I would learn nothing.  

So your point is well taken.  

I hear that on the smart vs hard work thing.  I hated it when people told me I was smart so I could do it. 

and yes...  using a blend of "below", "at" and "above" reading level of materials helps a lot.  Glad I do that with my kids.  I'm in total rambling, 3rd cup of coffee moment here..   I remember when my mother in law was just starting her program of horticultual specialities.  She was in her upper 50's or young 60's at the time and wanted to get a new degree....   and even though she was in college and doing college texts and internships, she said "well, you know how it is.  when you really want to begin to learn something, you start in the library with the juvenile books with lots of pictures and get the intro that way.. then if it's interesting you get the big girls books, and then because your teacher makes you.. you get your textbooks from the store and study for the test b/c you have to"

ah.. and of course in her field, she has a lot of hands on experiments with all of it.  Just wish she lived closer to us so we could pay her to help with our gardens and all of that.  She turned out to be pretty good at this area and worked hard. Yes, she's smart.  yes, she knows all about those "levels of intelligence" and all of that.   Goodness.. she used to do human resource consulting and teach that stuff...   But in the end, it was interest led, hard work, diligence...   and a blend of books and materials,... 

ok..  I guess I'm off the deep end. I'm rambling about my mother in law and her schooling and work.   Yes... she is all about life long learning.  and she just finished her horticultural degree this semester!!!!  go grandma!  wahoo!!!!  (well, she got a BS in the 1960's... a masters in the late 70's early 80's)...   continued to learn for a long time, and then wanted to do this.  and this thread took a turn where I could praise her out loud with her hard work. 

and CT..  my cat has her hat, and she has a "White Collar", and it could be about "calvert" (pun on covert) operations..... so...  I'm going to name her Neal Cat-furry (Neal Caffrey).    LOL.   LOL.   but if you don't get that TV joke, it's ok.   It's really funny if you watch White Collar.    LOL.  oh.....  when will Netflix get season 4 of that show???

I'm going to say this at risk of sounding like a huge jerk. Donna and cbollin dominate every MFW thread on this board. This poster specifically asked for other posters' advice and it seems to me like basically the entire thread is the two posters above going back and forth.

I know many people irl who love MFW. We are using it this year for the first time and it's been great. I almost used something else, though, because every thread on here is dominated by the same users and no one else comments. I wonder if no one else on WTM uses it, or does no one else comment for fear of getting over run? I at times have even questioned if the total enthusiasm was because of getting paid to be a message board rep. I don't *think* that is the case, but too much enthusiasm can leave just as much of a negative taste as too much criticism.

I was honestly surprised to find that we enjoyed MFW this year. I was happy to do my own thing for science despite being told I should stick strictly with the program.

I just think MFW threads on this board typically sound overly positive and the discussion is always taken down the same path by the same posters. MFW offers a decent product. Give it a chance to be discussed openly by all. I think it can stand the heat!

Now, I will go hide under a rock.

The original poster said it was ok for me to post.  She didn't intend to sound like she was excluding me or forbidding me from talking on it.    and most of the thread is encouraging the original poster to not use MFW because it doesn't fit her needs.

Their (mfw) way is not the only thing out there.  Silvermoon has said why it didn't work for her with very specifics.That's cool.  Others have said why the philosophy worked.

and since the original poster said it was ok for me to chime in, I joined the conversation.   I'm sorry that upsets you.

Wow.  Given the fact that ANYONE ELSE could have also chimed in -- but didn't -- how does that make it mine and Crystal's fault for "dominating the thread"? 

I'll be sure and stay out of MFW threads from now on, Stacey, even though I (and Crystal) have both used MFW for *many* years and have children who are now adults.  But I do have to ask.... Is there a reason you *silently* followed along without posting until after you got irritated at the two of us?  I don't know why other MFW users (past or present) didn't post.  If more people HAD offered their experience and thoughts, maybe the thread would've gone a different direction altogether..... :confused1:  She did say, "But I'd like more feedback than just one person."  Well, she DID get feedback from more than one person.  Others COULD have given their feedback a lot sooner, too.... 

I'll go find my own rock to hide under now, so as not to upset you further.  If the OP didn't want me to post at all, she should've named me in the OP instead of just "hinting" that there was one person she didn't want to hear from at ALL. 

OTOH, Stacey, maybe there haven't been more replies from *other people* because more people haven't used the MFW program for 7th & 8th graders, since that's specifically what the OP was asking about.  Wouldn't her question therefore necessitate feedback from those who have?  That would include Crystal and I, wouldn't it?

Again, sorry to have upset you for posting in this thread and offering a bit of real-life experience.

Anyway, Donna, I did not imply that I didn't want to hear from you at all.   And I've had great experiences with both yours CBollin's posts, too.  I wasn't hinting for you guys to shut up...I just really really wanted some other opinions and experiences.  My desire was more along the lines of wanting others to take the time to chime in, rather than sitting back and waiting for you to answer.

I think it has to do with not many people here at WTM using MFW.  I can't think of any other reason more people don't post.  THere must be a ton of MFW users based on their growth and seeing their booth at the convention which was mobbed with supporters as well as people buying.  

Anyway...CBollin you need more sleep and less coffee. lol.

I need sleep. I am so tired..don't even think this post made much sense.

I don't know much about Calvert. Just from looking at the website I think MFW would be culture shock. Apples and oranges.

My DD, the 6th grader in the linked thread, was pretty offended by MFW's expectations. She had primarily used Veritas Press before the MFW attempt. The reliance on SOTW (a grammar stage book) and other 4th-5th grade spines especially bugged her, but if you only used the more advanced spines there would be multiple weeks in a row with no assignments.

(Now in 8th this DD is using the high school level ancients guide from Beautiful Feet. The junior high guide had several books she'd already read with VP. The notebooking type assignments (writing, vocab, mapwork, etc) aren't particularly challenging, but considering she has two sciences and a separate literature this year, the volume is just right. She definitely could have done this guide in 7th.)

This was one very helpful post.  They are really apples and oranges and it would be culture shock which isn't really what I am going for here.