Menu

Is it competely ridiculous to buy Molly & Emily

ksr5377

when my daughter's aren't asking for them?  I know they would both like another AG doll but they are aware that they're pricey so they didn't put them on their list.  Neither has really mentioned the specific doll they would get next, but with them being retired I feel like I want them.  That's right, I want them, so why not wrap them up, right?  Of course DH thinks I'm crazy.

I don't know if it's completely ridiculous, but all I can say is we have a box in the basement full of Kirsten stuff purchased before she was retired.  My daughter didn't play with the furniture very much.  I think one of the reasons they "retire" dolls is to generate more demand for the retiring stuff.  Not to mention make room in the lineup for more dolls.

So I say, if your daughters aren't asking for them, skip it!  Don't be fooled by the marketing trick!  If you didn't especially want them before you knew they were retired, don't get them now.  This was a lesson learned the hard way for me. 

Is Molly the doll you always wanted but never received? If so, I say get her! This is coming from someone with two dolls, one who will be given to dd when she's old enough and the other will be MINE until I die. :p And I may or may not occasionally take them out and "prepare" them for dd. Who is 3 months old. ;)

ETA: she was a preemie, so I dressed her up in AG clothes and took a picture. :D

Well, I didn't really know about American Girl when I was younger.  I think it may have been an effort on my mom's part so she wouldn't have buy one ;)  However, now that my girls are loving them, Molly is my favorite.  We've read at least the first book for every doll, and Molly's story is my favorite.  I love that time in history and I love her little glasses and braids.  I know my girls would be very excited to get them.  I have emphasized that they are not inexpensive and to be well cared for, so they know it's a lot to ask for.

Our library has a Molly that you can check out and keep for a week -- my girls loved her braids and lil' glasses.

I say:  if your girls like playing with the dolls and it wouldn't be a financial burden for your family, then buy it!  Part of Christmas is getting surprises!  (at least for us)

For example:  Santa is bringing my girls a swing ball set.  Did they ask for it?  Nope.  Have they ever even seen one before?  Nope.

But they play outdoors A LOT and mommy/Santa thought it would be a good, fun addition to our outdoor toys.  

(They're also getting slingshots ... same story.)

Perhaps I'm living vicariously through them.  :p

when my daughter's aren't asking for them?  I know they would both like another AG doll but they are aware that they're pricey so they didn't put them on their list.  Neither has really mentioned the specific doll they would get next, but with them being retired I feel like I want them.  That's right, I want them, so why not wrap them up, right?  Of course DH thinks I'm crazy.

I am struggling with this as well!  :laugh:  I want them!