Menu

Sit down on the couch and learn to read....

BearWallowSchool

Would All About Reading fit this description? I know something like Phonics Pathways or OPGTR would, but I'm looking for something a little more than that. My oldest child is in K. I also have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I started the school year with traditional school materials. School is not getting done the way I'd like and we are about to go crazy with the traditional school workbooks! HELP!!!

The letter tiles and many of the activities from the student book require a table. If you have a coffee table, you could use that as your surface (that's what I did when we were using AAS in Kindergarten as a learn-to-read program). But it's not really a cuddle together with no table near by and share the book sort of program.

I think All About Reading could be called: "Stand up in front of the refrigerator and learn to read"

We like to keep our tiles on the front of the refrigerator (helps keep them out of range of younger kids).  This way we could have impromptu blending practice when they were first starting to read and our jumpy children don't have to sit in a chair.  The program also includes activities that you could do on the floor or a table and readers that you can snuggle up with.  There are no workbooks and no writing in the program.  Reading only.

We do All About Reading and All About Spelling sprawled out in the floor in front of the fire. The table was too cluttered. The girls like to use personal size dry erase boards. They rarely use the tiles but I do the lesson with the tiles. They prefer to write the words for AAS than to build then write. Reading is the same, we review the cards, read, and highlight words with highlighters while lying in the floor. Works really well for us.