Menu

Rolling shopping cart

Just Another Jen

No recommendations but your post brings back memories. I grew up in a city and remember seeing mostly little old ladies pulling those things. We never had one, though. We lived a block over from the grocery store so mom just took us all with her and we each had to carry a bag home.

Good luck with your search!

I've done lots of shopping with rolling carts.  My current one and my favorite ever is like this one (there are lots of colors and styles). I know it's a little more expensive, but it's nice if you're in a rainy place and it holds a lot.  I've used it at Costco many times and stuffed it full.  Right now I use it three times a week to go to outdoor markets where I'm going over potholes, up stairs, and over curbs constantly and it's definitely sturdy.  I expect to use it for a long time since I do nearly all of my shopping on foot.

I've also used the rolling crates which are great because they can carry four gallons of milk at a time.  If you get one of those, make sure it has metal bars on the sides instead of being all plastic.

Thanks for the suggestions. Im going to order the one Amira suggested and see how it goes. Its almost a mile over to the stores and with rain and snow to factor in I like the idea of a cover.

Ellen- I bought and returned a cart like your link because the wheels were super wobbly. Maybe it depends on where you buy it from. Enough people have these that it shouldn't be so hard to find.

I have never actually lived in the city and I'm finding some of the logistics daunting. But we do love our actual home so I'm confident that we will figure it out.

No recommendations but your post brings back memories. I grew up in a city and remember seeing mostly little old ladies pulling those things. We never had one, though. We lived a block over from the grocery store so mom just took us all with her and we each had to carry a bag home.

Good luck with your search!

The bubbe cart!

When I moved into my first city apartment, I hadn't realized what a slog it was going to be to haul my groceries home. My 85-year-old neighbor saw me and insisted that I borrow her cart to go shopping. I was the youngest person by about 60 years to pull one, but it surely beat hefting my ginger ale and bottle of Tide for fifteen blocks.

Thanks for the suggestions. Im going to order the one Amira suggested and see how it goes. Its almost a mile over to the stores and with rain and snow to factor in I like the idea of a cover.

Ellen- I bought and returned a cart like your link because the wheels were super wobbly. Maybe it depends on where you buy it from. Enough people have these that it shouldn't be so hard to find.

I have never actually lived in the city and I'm finding some of the logistics daunting. But we do love our actual home so I'm confident that we will figure it out.

They must be making them cheaper.  My mom's was really sturdy.  But, then again, it usually went from the parking garage to the elevator to her kitchen - not many curbs.