Menu

cuisenaire rods

I have some plastic ones (Learning Resource or whatever the tub was from RR), but I went back and got the wood ones from ETA directly.  ETA was fabulous to order from btw and sells lots of other things, like phonics dominoes, science supplies, etc.  The plastic ones I had were not a *problem* for what we were doing (at the time making alphabet letters and pictures for an activity book) but I like the wood better.  It's not like the plastic are non-functional though.  There's always something to spend your money on, lol.

Btw, buy more than you think you need.  My boy turns his c-rods into guns using tape.  :D

My mother bought a set of wooden cuisonaire rods back in the 60's when she first started out teaching.  My kids and I are still using them and they look great.  I don't know if the current versions are as well built, but I would think that even with today's construction standards, wood would hold up better than plastic in most instances.  My kids have used the plastic variety but my daughter especially really preferred the feel of the wooden ones.  I agree, don't go less than 155...

I got two sets of the wooden ones on Ebay new for less then I could find anywhere else.... I have maybe a total of 170+ and would love more. There's a website that show how to use them all the way up through multiplication/division, and fractions.... now if I could just find the site again.

It's probably educationunboxed. She has great videos.

We have plastic and wood. I don't have a strong preference but I like the feel of the plastic rods a bit better.

Do you know anyone in your area that has both versions so you could feel both types before purchasing?  It obviously is really dependent on the individual after seeing the various responses.  As mentioned previously, my daughter REALLY preferred the feel of the wood but my son honestly didn't care.  Another parent I know who uses them just told me they prefer the plastic.

The plastic ones I got from Rainbow Resources didn't show the commutative property very well, and the colors orange and red were way too similar (I know the rods are 8 units different in length, but it was confusing for the kids).  At my local teacher's store I bought the wooden ones from ETA, which I prefer.  We end up using bother tubs sometimes, but always grab the wooden rods first.  We got the 155 pack, and have done fine with that (we do have the plastic ones if needed).  You may want some 100 flats or extra tens rods.