Menu

Did you wait a long time to tell others that you were pregnant?

Ann.without.an.e

I waited until 12 weeks with dd15.  We lost one pregnancy between our bio-kids and I wanted to wait until we passed that mark before we told anyone.  :-)  Only one person knew aside from dh and I, and she needed to know because she would cover for me at work when I needed help lifting something heavy or what not. 

I usually wait 3months. With#2, the timing was bad, he wasn't planned, Hurricane Katrina was bearing down on us, I knew I would be questioned and doubted. I needed a lot of time alone with the news. We waited 5months tell our parents,and 7 months before the word got out to everyone. My close friends and classmates all knew right away. I didn't have to tell them. 

Wait until you are ready.

Me too. Not entirely sure why I do but I noticed in the last two pregnancies that I simply didn't rush out and tell people. I did tell close friends much sooner.

OP, I'm pretty sure there is a rule that you need to tell the Hive ASAP. ;) there's no waiting allowed on that one.

Me, too, too. Well, I didn't wait until 20 weeks, but definitely after the first trimester. The first 2 we told early, early. After that, I only told my closest friends early--bc I get really sick and it was obvious to those close. Family that was far away--well, we waited, especially with my fourth and fifth pregnancy. I lost the fourth and it was just easier that way.

I decided that pregnancies last way to long when everyone knows from the fifth week. LOL

"If" I was maybe pregnant with #5....let's just pretend here.....

You probably don't understand unless you have 4 or more kids but, well, people are less than excited after #2 and sometimes even rude after #3. Did anyone wait to be open about the pregnancy? Can I wait until people are brave enough to ask? Haha

Yes, I was 7mos before my in-laws found out.

We wait until 19-20 weeks to tell. We have a history of losses anywhere up to that point. I can understand the "I want support rather than suffer in silence" perspective.... but experience has made me DEFINITELY not feel that way.

Every time a friend announces their pregnancy, they're scared to share their joy around you.

People don't know what to say when you're in a group.

No one knows how to tell a joke anymore.

Everyone just kind of looks around awkwardly when you walk up to a group of people because oh my goodness, this is the mourning woman.... is it okay to have a normal conversation around her?

Multiply all that by happening every 8 months or so and people feeling worse for you every time, and just... no. Nope nope nope never again. I don't want to suffer in silence of become some sort of matyr, but what helps me get through grief is to ENJOY my life and my friends and remember how much I love my life just as it is. That's hard when everyone you care about suddenly starts acting like you're a different person.

Not to mention the fact that oh my goodness, my poor children. They would SO LOVE to have a baby in the house. I can't fathom breaking their hearts along with our own every time when get hopeful and then lose another.

I may be a little defensive over this right now, lol, Currently 16 1/2 weeks pregnant and my ONE friend who knows gave me a litlte speech on how I should be telling people so everyone can support me. She's never lost a baby.... just doesn't get it. I don't blame her for totally not getting it, but ugh.

I'm not saying EVERYONE should wait to tell, just offering my explanation as to why we do.

We tend to tell our parents and siblings around six weeks. Anyone who I would naturally tell about a miscarriage, I might as well tell them when the news is happy. Everyone else, we usually tell around 12 weeks. I don't say anything on Facebook until we have the 20-week ultrasound.

However, this time, we told our neighbors and church friends pretty early (like 9 weeks). I think it's because I was super sick. Plus, I don't know how you people hide it for 20 weeks but I'm only 15 weeks and I look VERY pregnant. It's weird, too, because I'm a pretty slim person and with my other pregnancies, I definitely didn't show so soon. But this one (my 5th) has me worried about how things will end if I'm already so big!