Menu

Medicare

Night Elf

I was looking up eligibility. It says you need to have worked for 10 years in Medicare-covered employment. That counts all work, including part-time jobs as a teenager, right? I have no idea if I've worked a total of 10 years in my life. I've been a SAHM for 17 years. I wish I knew my employment history. Would Social Security have that information?

I was looking up eligibility. It says you need to have worked for 10 years in Medicare-covered employment. That counts all work, including part-time jobs as a teenager, right? I have no idea if I've worked a total of 10 years in my life. I've been a SAHM for 17 years. I wish I knew my employment history. Would Social Security have that information?

The 10 years refers to not having to pay for Part A. You will still be eligible for Part A Medicare but they will take the premium out of your SS check.

More info here:

http://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-insurance/info-04-2008/ask_ms__medicare_9.html

If you were married at least ten years, then you can potentially use your spouse's work history to collect ss. I am not sure how that works with Medicare though. I will have to look for a link in addition to these.

http://larimer.co.networkofcare.org/aging/news-article-detail.aspx?id=46779

A stay-at-home spouse may qualify for Medicare, at age 65, under the working spouse's work history. If your husband is 62 years or older and he has paid into Social Security for at least 40 quarters (approximately 10 years), you could qualify for Medicare (when you turn 65) under his work quarters. Contact Social Security (1800-772- 1213 or www.ssa.gov) to enroll in Medicare.

http://hernandotoday.com/news/hernando-sports/2009/jan/06/ha-benefits-for-stay-at-home-non-working-spouses-ar-282636/

In any event, anyone who is entitled to Social Security benefits and is at least 65 years of age is entitled to Medicare coverage. (Those receiving disability benefits and have been disabled for at least two years are entitled to Medicare at any age.) There is no premium to pay for Part A (covers hospital stays). Part B (doctor and some procedures) coverage now costs $96.40 a month. That premium is the same for everyone.

Should there be a divorce involved, all of the benefits mentioned for the spouse or widow would apply just as if the marriage were intact as long as the marriage lasted for at least 10 years and the woman was not remarried.

Try this http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ at Social Security to see your information.

Best wishes.

I have earnings on record every year since 1988, so there was no question about my eligibility.  Just for fun, I logged in anyway.

If you look at your earnings history (it's one of the tabs) and scroll to the bottom, you'll see a spot for Medicare.   Mine said "you've earned enough credits to be eligible for Medicare at age 65," or something like that.  Check it out.  It's an interesting site. 

As military, though, they definitely know where you are! (Aren't you all military family? )

The various government agencies don't share information with each other (or at least, the ones that do are a one way street). It's illegal. So, just because the army knows where we are, that doesn't mean the ss administration does.