Menu

Help with a coaching situation. I am livid. UPDATE post #35, 56

dirty ethel rackham

I am pretty sure S is getting legal advice about the non-compete clause.  He seems really willing to work with us in the short term while he figures out what to do.  His long-term is to have his own guiding company in Colorado.  He and his wife are discussing moving sooner rather than later.  One of the dads, who has contacts within the climbing world, is helping him find something out there if they decide to move.  We can supplement his income with private training (and we are willing to be generous,) but it will not replace his full-time income.  The team kids really want to stay together.  They really have gelled.  If our gym tries to go after S for the non-compete by doing private training, I will be sure to point out that having him as an option has kept the team together and prevented large-scale defections.  We did find out about another coach of a smaller program that may be an option if things do not work out at our gym for the short term.   

We are a little nervous because dd's friend is thinking of going to the other program.  She has potential to be in the top ten in the country in her age group and doesn't want to blow her chances.  Her dad doesn't necessarily want to move her for many reasons, but he wants to support her ambition.  This dad has been a great supporter of my daughter - super encouraging.  Their family's presence in the program has been a real asset and we would be terribly sad to see them go.

We are a little nervous because dd's friend is thinking of going to the other program.  She has potential to be in the top ten in the country in her age group and doesn't want to blow her chances.  Her dad doesn't necessarily want to move her for many reasons, but he wants to support her ambition.  This dad has been a great supporter of my daughter - super encouraging.  Their family's presence in the program has been a real asset and we would be terribly sad to see them go.

This can be a valuable life lesson for all the dc involved. We went through something similar in martial arts. Although no one knew it would eventually all fall apart, there were some glory days, when everyone was good friends, the training was excellent, the facility was superb, the tournament team was attracting national notice. Everything was going our way.

But slowly, over time, things began to change. Relationships crumbled, assistant trainers took more of the load and they are not nearly as good as the main instructor, the facility has moved once and is now poised to move again - to lesser quality digs each time. The once strong tournament team is now just a few scattered individuals. It is still a good activity for us, but the golden days are long gone, probably never to return.

None of us truly appreciated what we had, because we had no idea that it was finite. So when things are going well, it is important to teach our dc to take a moment (or several) and really, fully enjoy the experience. To bask in the glow. Because things do change. People move away, circumstances change.

It is easy to get depressed or angry when these changes take place. But IME, that rarely changes the situation. The thing I have tried to teach my dd is that life is a roller coaster. We need to appreciate the heights even more because they cannot last forever. Certainly, there will be other heights coming, but we have to endure the dips because they are inevitable. Like I said, a life lesson. Not a pleasant one, but an important one. Hope you soon find another height!

Hillfarm, what a wonderful post.

We have had a lot of changes in the past year, swim teams, climbing teams, water polo, and at the end of the summer the founding sensei of our judo club passed away.

It is hard to look back and say, I wish that things could have stayed the same.  But we have all tried to learn that different is not always bad, opportunities can be right around the corner and when things look really dark, "Wait 'til next year!" And to try to appreciate every minute that things are good. Because circumstances and people can change.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well, the last 3 weeks have been a bit of a roller coaster for us, but, in a way, that has been a little bit of a welcome distraction from heavier things going on at home with my older son.  The current gym management has made good on some of the promises they made to us in our big meeting, but has reneged on some others (as expected - their typical MO.)  The new coach is a good guy and is very earnest in learning all he can.  He had some big shoes to fill and he is not their yet, but is communicating to the parents regularly.  But, none of this changes the gym's basic philosophical approach to their climbing teams - they are profit centers and they want bodies to pay and they throw bodies into the coaching positions.  I have known that, long term, this was not the place for my daughter to be if she wanted to continue to grow.  Most of the excellent climbers eventually leave and go to the quality program in the big city (50 minutes no traffic and 90 minutes in traffic.) 

Well, dd's closest friend on team did leave and go to the quality program in the city.  On her dad's advice, I did schedule a meeting with this coach, mostly to forge a relationship with him for when he did have space for her.  I was pretty sure that he had reached his max space-wise because another kid on her team had climbed for him in the past and wanted to go back.  Well, by the time we met with him, this other kid had decided not to go back, mostly for cost and transportation reasons.  So, he offered dd a place on his team.  DD jumped at the chance and has started working out with them.  We are carpooling with her best friend and that seems to be working well.  She is loving it.  The coach is the gym manager and his gym revolves around the team kids, not the other way around.  He has an excellent coaching program and such a tight knit team.  They welcomed dd right away. 

So, while dd feels bad about leaving this team (she will actually be working out with them one day a week because she has to miss one day a week with her other team), she is so happy.  I did hear from the mom of the kid who decided not to go.  When she heard dd was going, she decided to call the coach and see if he can take both and we can carpool.  I guess the big thing was transportation and we seem to have solved that problem.  DD is so much more motivated now that she has moved.  The hard part will be telling this the coach of this team here.  Also, I will have to find another parent who is willing to step up and be liaison to the parents that I had been doing.  I will continue to help out in the short run (and I will still be climbing there myself.)