Menu

developing a child's emotional/spiritual side secularly

I'm trying to find books that I can read & discuss with my daughter that are spiritual-growth-type books (for lack of a better word) without being "religious education" materials. I'm not looking to instruct my daughter on any religious or spiritual path... more a way of opening her mind to the beauty of the world, and her personal strengths... IDK... I want to find books that teach kids to put faith in themselves (vs. a deity), and how to overcome challenges in life effectively, but also with a bit of wonder (without involving the supernatural).

I've looked online but the only spirituality books for children I'm finding (that are not directed at Christian children) are very new-agey (to include herbs & Earth worship). I'm all for teaching my kids to respect the Earth but that's no really what I'm looking for here.

Any suggestions?

Not a book for kids, but one I've been wanting to read forever is Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion. This might be helpful to you? In particular, one reviewer said "I also liked the reference guides to finding good books for children about religions without teaching them that one is right and the rest are wrong."

Regardless of stance on religious instruction, I absolutely love the following book on raising freethinkers. It is called 'Raising Free Thinkers: Parenting Beyond Belief', by Dale McGowan.

I have an extremely literal, skeptical child and am very interested in helping her to develop her mind to think critically-regardless of where her path leads her. This book is another tool for me.

This book is more for parents but has all sorts of activities, lists of resources grouped by topic and interest.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0814410960/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1383489948&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

She's 9 years old; we've read a lot of books that talked about world religions, and various morals & virtues already, I was just hunting around for something more... individualized? Tailored? A self-discovery type book, maybe.

There are actually two UU churches where I live and one of them offers sunday school (with the program CrunchyGirl mentioned)... unfortunately it's $400 a year. I'll have to dig in a bit to their website.

I definitely like the Parenting Beyond Belief books... I'll dig into those too. Thanks

Regardless of stance on religious instruction, I absolutely love the following book on raising freethinkers. It is called 'Raising Free Thinkers: Parenting Beyond Belief', by Dale McGowan.

I have an extremely literal, skeptical child and am very interested in helping her to develop her mind to think critically-regardless of where her path leads her. This book is another tool for me.

This book is more for parents but has all sorts of activities, lists of resources grouped by topic and interest.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0814410960/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1383489948&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Yes, this is what I was going to suggest too.  It is absolutely full of resource ideas - books you can read with your kids, websites, activities, etc.  It is very well worth it.

Philosophy for Kids is another book that might be helpful. The lessons are short. Ds and I used this as a starting point, I'd read the lesson and we'd discuss, then we'd let the conversation wander. It's a great way to use examples to build your child's sense of ethics. It's also a great way to sort of peer inside their head without asking too many pointed questions. 

I've been doing some further searching and thought I'd share these:

Nightlights

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811839559/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1BCJ7CQ2XVT2QBTS845E&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

and it's sequel: The Star Catchers

http://www.amazon.com/The-Star-Catchers-Confidence-Creativity/dp/B0058M7PGC/ref=pd_sim_b_1

...they seem promising, but maybe a little "kiddie" for my daughter (better for preschoolers, maybe?)

I ended up getting the kindle version of Parenting beyond Belief, and Nurturing Spirituality: Simple Hands-on Activities, but I haven't gotten a chance to look at them.

She's 9 years old; we've read a lot of books that talked about world religions, and various morals & virtues already, I was just hunting around for something more... individualized? Tailored? A self-discovery type book, maybe.

There are actually two UU churches where I live and one of them offers sunday school (with the program CrunchyGirl mentioned)... unfortunately it's $400 a year. I'll have to dig in a bit to their website.

I definitely like the Parenting Beyond Belief books... I'll dig into those too. Thanks

Hmmm, the Religious Education classes on Sunday should be free.

Sometimes congregations charge for the OWL classes, which is a sexuality course, and not always held on Sundays.

• 2 weeks later...