Menu

Oregon coast in November

bodiesmom

We are heading to the coast mid November for my husband's 40th birthday. Knowing the weather is going to most likely be rainy and stormy (we love it!), would it be wise to invest in some rain boots for the kiddos for tide pooling, or would the snow boots they have suffice? My concern is that the snow boots are short...

TIA!

D

They'd really do better with taller rain boots. Besides the shortness issue for snow boots, snow boots also tend to have lots of padding that will take forever to dry if they step too deeply or a wave rushes up and fills the boot. For warmth, we particularly like Bogs, but I always buy the ones without the hand holes because I'd rather have the extra height. If Bogs are out of the budget or wouldn't get used much where you live, then you'll do fine with regular rain boots with a couple of layers of socks.

Enjoy the coast! I love the northwest coast in the fall and winter.

It's hard to say. If you're walking around on hard, wet sand, the snow boots should be fine. If you're getting wet or digging in the sand, it would be better to get the rain boots. The amount of time you spend on the beach will probably be determined by the amount of wind! Whatever you decide, wear warm layers with a windproof outer layer.

They'd really do better with taller rain boots. Besides the shortness issue for snow boots, snow boots also tend to have lots of padding that will take forever to dry if they step too deeply or a wave rushes up and fills the boot. For warmth, we particularly like Bogs, but I always buy the ones without the hand holes because I'd rather have the extra height. If Bogs are out of the budget or wouldn't get used much where you live, then you'll do fine with regular rain boots with a couple of layers of socks.

Enjoy the coast! I love the northwest coast in the fall and winter.

We also wear bogs and find them worth the investment -- they can also be worn as snow boots! We wear them year-round.

Vida Winter, nmoira, and Sun-

Thank you for your help! I just returned from the thrift stores where I found some affordable rubber boots for everyone but dad. :-). We live in Reno, so not a whole lotta rain to warrant an investment in Bogs. :-(

D