Menu

Studying WW II

OneStepAtATime

My 9 year old son is suddenly very interested in World War II, bombards me with questions every day, and wants to delve in deeper, even though in our current curriculum we are studying the Revolutionary War.  I don't want to discourage his interest and am more than willing to put aside the Revolutionary war material while we pursue this.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a good unit study or some videos and books we could do?  I just don't have anything in place.  Would anyone recommend I go back a bit and start with World War I first, since they are really very tied together?  He is in the gifted range and dyslexic and dysgraphic, so heavy amounts of independent reading and writing are not workable but lower elementary grade material would not hold his interest long.  I can read to him for the higher level material.  Some basic readers would be o.k.so he can look through some things on his own but we would definitely need something more meaty for the bulk of it. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Queen Goddess of the Deep, thanks for the books.  Looking into that.

MissKNG I hadn't thought of the Military Channel.  Haven't watched in years.  Will look into whether we get it still.  Hoping we do.

Son has decided he wants to continue with our current curriculum AND study WWI and WW II so trying to weave it all in without confusing him.  Appreciate your help!

WW1 and its era has the Young Indiana Jones series of films and website material.   The main part of the films are fiction (violence, some sexuality in some parts, but intended for kids).  Some gives some sense of the time, and there are very good bonus materials for documentary background.  Gandhi is also a wonderful film and gives some sense of other events happening around WW1.   While not directly about WWII, Schindler's List and its bonus materials are excellent (but has some nudity (both as concentration camp inmate scenes and sex related as well as violence).  I think it is impossible to deal with war without violence.   All of these are things.  You might find some good DK biographies.