Menu

Please share your best and simplest explanation for adding fractions

dorothy

convert fractions to lowest common denominator (LCD)

divide the LCD by the original denominator of each fraction

multiply the numerators by each answer

add

reduce

1/2 + 2/3

6 is the LCD

6/2 x 1 =3 so the first fraction is 3/6

6/3 x 2 = 4 and the second fraction is 4/6

3/6 + 4/6 = 7/6 = 1 1/6

with different denominators. DD is not understanding the way it is explained in Singapore. I want to make sure it makes sense to her. Thanks.

We do it much the same way as Karen. Here's what I would say:

1/2 + 1/3. I would ask my kids: Let's take the biggest denominator, which is 3. Find the first multiple of 3 that is also a multiple of 2. Is 3 a multiple of 2? (they say no). Is 6? (they say yes).

Okay, let's make the denominator 6. Using our first fraction of 1/2, what number times 2 (the denominator) equals 6? (they say 3). Good, so we multiply the 1 in our fraction by 3 also. Now we have 3/6.

The next fraction is 1/3. What do we multiply 3 by to reach 6? (they say 2). Yes, so let's multiple the one by 2 also. Now we have 2/6.

3/6 + 2/6 = 5/6.

HTH!

with different denominators. DD is not understanding the way it is explained in Singapore. I want to make sure it makes sense to her. Thanks.

1/2 plus 1/3. Okay, how are we going to have each of these made up of the same size pieces? We are going to have to divide them both up into smaller pieces. What's the lowest number that both 2 and 3 go into? Okay, six. Each is now made up of sixth-pieces. (I draw pie pictures at this point to show how the thirds and halves become sixths)

Now, we have something sixths plus something sixths. If we want to write 1/2 as something sixths, what would it be? How many sixths is the same as one half? What's half of six? Okay, three sixths.

How many sixths is the same as one third? What's one third of six? Okay two sixths. Now you have three sixths plus two sixths. Remember that the 'sixth' means sixth-pieces, so you are going to add three sixth-pieces to two sixth-pieces and get five sixth-pieces, which is five sixths.

The reminder at the end is to stop them suddenly deciding that the answer is five twelfths!

(Calvin just read over my shoulder and said, "You're raving about fractions. No-one will listen to you.")

Laura

Dorothy, not an explanation, but RightStart makes a hardwood fractions puzzle that will help her greatly. It allows them to pick the pieces up, move them around, and see how they relate (that 4/8 really does equal 1/2, etc.). http://www.activitiesforlearning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=33 It also comes as a magnet or paper version in the card games kit. You might also like to get the Fractions Games kit. It has just the fractions deck from the games kit and instructions for a good number of games you can play. When you play these games, your dc will build their understanding of how fractions work. Sometimes kids do things by rote and don't really GET how they work. When you play the fractions games, let her use the puzzle as needed to figure things out. The games are simple to learn but very effective, and this process will clarify things in her mind.

Show 1/2 +2/4

She will hopefully be able to see that 2/4 of a cake is the same as 1/2

Keep it to numbers she can visualise (or you can demonstrate easier)

I also recommend the Key to series for supplementing fractions with Singapore. It is a real confidence booster and she will whizz through it. It demonstrates fractions is a much more gradual manner. Both our two did a couple of these books and have a great grasp of fractions.

1/2 + 1/3=?

You cannot add different fractions with different denominators. We must make the bottom part the same.

Look in Singapore Textbook where it talks about common multiples. 12 is a common multiple of 4 and 6 on page 26.

If you notice 6 is the common mulitple of 2 and 3 in your fraction problem or multiply 2x3=6.

So, the denominator must be 6 for both fractions. Half of 6/6 is 3/6 and 1/3 of 6/6 is 2/6.

Another way to show this is:

[-][-][-]/[-][-][-]

Half of this bar is 3/6. You can count to 3 to see this.

To see 1/3, circle 3 groups.

[-][-]/[-][-]/[-][-]

1/3 of that group is 2.

Therefore 3/6 + 2/6= 5/6

I hope that that helps.

Blessings,

Karen and her son

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/thegenius