Menu

Genetics Resources for Middle School?

We were studying Mendel, his peas, and Punnett squares yesterday and DD12 was getting frustrated. Not about the actual lesson, but how do they know what genes that each pea has, or each person? How do we know it is Bb or BB?

So, I told her to make it through the lesson and I will ask the Hive for suggestions about genetic resources that go more in-depth. She is very bright, mathematically and scientifically minded, and would certainly understand a high school or even college resource, but she is emotionally a 12-year-old girl. So, something that presents information in a fun way, but not dumbed-down would be perfect for her.

Suggestions?

TIA!!

With the peas, you know based on the expressed traits of the parents or offspring.

My favorite book about genetics is called "Cats Are Not Peas".

One thing that might help is discussing that only certain traits are expressed based on just one gene. Often (usually) more than one gene is involved, and it may also depend on environmental conditions or other factors in combination with the genes.

This is what I have for future use:

Gregor Mendel: Father of the Science of Genetics by Harry Sootin

The Code of Life by Alvin and Virginia Silverstein

Science Wiz DNA Kit (Amazon)

The Annotated and Illustrated Double Helix by James D. Watson (This would be for students who want more of this topic.)

The short answer to your daughter's question is that they don't, given only the phenotype (the expressed characteristic eg flower colour). It takes repeated controlled crosses (breeding), selecting for particular phenotypes each time, or mapping of characteristics back through generations, to determine genotype (which combination of recessive and dominant genes) you have. And it gets complicated as soon as you move on from single gene traits. I have a degree in genetics. I found Mendel and his peas excruciatingly boring, but loved the genetics of diseases like sickle cell anemia, Duchenne MD, cystic fibrosis, etc. My advice is to read a bit about Mendel because of his historical importance, then move on to something most 12 year olds are interested in: themselves. Talk about the genetics of hair colour, eye colour, attached ear lobes, tongue rolling, whatever. This will be really useful if you have a mix of phenotypes in the family, like brown and blue eyes (btw, eye colour isn't determined by a single gene, but if you don't have hazel or green eyes in the family, you can simplify it down to one to get the point across).

HTH

D

• 3 weeks later...

It is remarkable that Mendel  postulated that heredity occurs in pairs, one from each parent, and half of one's genes are passed on to one's offspring.  His work was ignored until after his death, when chromosomes and meiosis were finally visualized.  

All he had to go on were his pea plants and mathematics, and he hit upon the model!