Menu

The Odyssey

eksargent

Think about hunting one of Geralidine McCaughrean's down. We read her retelling of both the Iliad and the Odyssey, and four years later they still say they were their favorite books!

You might try Nathaniel Hawthorne's Wonder Book which retells alot of Greek myths. . .

There's also Black Ships Before Troy for the Iliad and the sequel The Wanderings of Odysseus for the Odyssey both by Rosemary Sutcliffe I think. Beautifully illustrated. My dd enjoyed both of these as read-alouds in first grade, but I know they were beyond my nephews at that age so YMMV.

There's also Black Ships Before Troy for the Iliad and the sequel The Wanderings of Odysseus for the Odyssey both by Rosemary Sutcliffe I think. Beautifully illustrated. My dd enjoyed both of these as read-alouds in first grade, but I know they were beyond my nephews at that age so YMMV.
These are wonderful. There's also Padraic Colum's version.

Well, we haven't tried some of those already mentioned,but my kids loved the one by Mary Pope Osborne. It is very accessible for younger kids. My 5 yo has, since hearing it, become passionate about Greek Mythology. Osborne's book is what started that, so I'd have to say for us it was a good introduction.

Mary Pope Osborne's "Tales From the Odyssey" series is great if your student is reading on a 2nd-4th grade level. We enjoyed the Sutcliffe ones (Black Ships Before Troy / Wanderings of Odysseus) as read-alouds, but ds went back and read Tales From the Odyssey to himself over and over because he just loved them so much.

Well, we haven't tried some of those already mentioned,but my kids loved the one by Mary Pope Osborne. It is very accessible for younger kids. My 5 yo has, since hearing it, become passionate about Greek Mythology. Osborne's book is what started that, so I'd have to say for us it was a good introduction.

This is the one I would recommend for younger children. We really liked this series!

I am starting SOTW 1 and going down the recommended book list exactly as suggested. The Odyssey...WTM suggest Geraldine McCaughrean's. My library doesn't carry this. Is there another version that is well liked and you kids enjoyed?

Thanks,

Emily

It is worth buying. My kids (3, 5, 7) really enjoyed it. :)

I just put a hold on this at my library. I am anxious to see it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Emily

:iagree:

I could have written this quote myself! Ds7 (6 at the time) would beg me to read more and more each and every day!