Menu

Masks for Immune Compromised People?

Jean in Newcastle

Have you tried asking your pharmacist? I know that some masks are supposed to be better than others, but I can't remember which ones are supposed to be the best. I seem to recall that you want to be sure the masks have the little metal thingies on them so they fit snugly around your nose, and that the whole mask covers without any gaps when you move your face, and I think some materials are easier to breathe through than others.

I wish I could remember what I bought. It was years ago when my dad was very ill, and I was so scared that I might pass along an illness to him before I knew I was contagious, so I bought the masks to be on the safe side. (It was a terrible flu season that year.)

Not masks but thought I would post this just in case. When my friend was very ill my family needed to find a way to stay heathy in order to be with her but still attend our activities. We spend several days a week at various meeting halls with facilities including real dishes for hot and cold drinks. I started carrying my own coffee mug and ikea plastic cups for dc's and we stayed heathy instead of a new cold every couple of weeks. Not touching faces and hand washing/gel cleaner helped too I am sure. Even after her death we have kept many of these habits and are far healthier for it - when I forget the cups we do seem to get sick. I think dishes not properly cleaned with hot water was our main problem.

N-95 masks work, and you can get kid sizes online if you need them. The cheap paper masks only work for 10-15 minutes or until they get wet from breathing. All masks make people back away for fear you have the plague, so any mask is better than nothing. ;) My son wore them in public for 3.5 years, and it was funny to watch people duck into asiles to get away from us, and I was happy that they did. :)

N-95 masks (cheapest at home depot for adult sizes), and you have to replace them often.

They are hot and uncomfortable to wear.

Our best hints:

No public drinking fountains

No buffet restaurants

Hand sanitizer before eating

No touching face

Next level up:

No large group settings

No eating out

No grocery shopping for immunocompromised people

No public library books

During largespread illness outbreaks, We only go out for dr appts.