Menu

cocktail suggestions, please! :)

Ipsey

I'm going out to cocktails and dinner with a colleague tonight.

I've never had a cocktail. 

So, what do you suggest?  I don't really drink. (Some of you may remember my thread from a couple of years ago about what to try in terms of alcohol. I bought a bottle of White Russian, and have had about 4 of those in the last 2 years. I guess I won't become a frequent tippler. 

What do you suggest? I love fruity. The fruitier the better. 'Cause that helps cut some of the alcohol taste. :D

I'm not a fruity or sweet drink lover, but years ago I used to order something with I think cranberry, grapefruit, and vodka. I think it was called a sea breeze. I remember liking it a lot back then. I think there is a similar drink with OJ instead of the grapefruit. Or how about a pina colada? I recently had a French 75 for the first time and loved it. It was gin, champagne, simple syrup and lemon juice.

Have fun!

Bahama Mamas are sweet and fruity. They have a couple types of rum in them along with orange juice, pineapple juice and grenadine. An L.A. Sunrise is vodka, banana liqueur, a splash of light rum and pineapple juice and oj. You could always do a frozen strawberry margarita or strawberry daiquiri. Another one is a Pierced Navel, which is vodka, peach schnapps, oj and pineapple juice. That's all that's coming to mind at the moment, but if you do a search for sweet, fruity cocktails, a ton of options will come up I'm sure.

Since you are not a regular drinker, you might find that you get tipsy quite quickly with some of the drinks mentioned.

When I was younger I used to go out drinking a lot.  When I didn't want to get tipsy but wanted a drink (especially if I was around people who would encourage me to drink alcohol, such as at a sale meeeting) I would order a white wine spritzer:  little bit of wine in club soda or seltzer.  

Or, a margarita!    Sangria?  

ETA:  my first legal cocktail was Amaretto and soda with a twist of lime.  Yum. Not fruity or sweet, but with the sense of cream soda about it.  I still love it. 

Strawberry daiquiris. Yum.

But you know, you don't have to drink, even at cocktails. Just order a coke or whatever. No explanations needed.

This is absolutely true. I was replying with the assumption that the OP wanted to order cocktails, but if not, it is 100% acceptable to order a nonalcoholic beverage, such as a soda or even a virgin version of a cocktail. Whatever you prefer to drink, you should feel comfortable ordering it with no explanation necessary.

This is absolutely true. I was replying with the assumption that the OP wanted to order cocktails, but if not, it is 100% acceptable to order a nonalcoholic beverage, such as a soda or even a virgin version of a cocktail. Whatever you prefer to drink, you should feel comfortable ordering it with no explanation necessary.

Just to clarify, I think she did want suggestions. So, I hope my reply didn't make the people who offered suggestions feel like lushes or something.... ;)

But she also said she doesn't really drink and she's going with colleague...sometimes people feel more pressure to drink if it's a work situation.

Just to clarify, I think she did want suggestions. So, I hope my reply didn't make the people who offered suggestions feel like lushes or something.... ;)

But she also said she doesn't really drink and she's going with colleague...sometimes people feel more pressure to drink if it's a work situation.

Haha. I can't speak for anyone else, but I was certainly not offended. Perhaps I am a lush, because the suggestion to just skip the alcohol didn't occur to me until you mentioned it. :D Once you had posted, I felt like I should chime in and agree that drinking alcohol is never required, in case the OP felt uncomfortable with choosing a nonalcoholic beverage. You made an excellent point. No offense taken here! ;)