Menu

Teen parties in small homes

klmama

We have a tiny house (750 square feet) with an extremely poor set-up for any kind of gathering.   For my oldest, any more than a couple of friends and they would hang outside.  Obviously that works better in summer but we have an outdoor fireplace so they've been out there in weather I would consider too cold.   We don't have close neighbors so even with music playing and talking it wasn't a problem.

I guess it depends upon the size of the group and the gender.  Dd has had several girls over for crafting parties and it has not been a problem.  They have also had girls over for board games without size being a factor.  We had a mixed group for a meal get together and it was tight.  When they were all together, it was fine but when the teens started breaking up into groups, there just wasn't a lot of space to separate.  We have tried to host the larger group again, but some of the parents felt our house was too small.  We have a nice courtyard area and small backyard.  If the weather is nice, I think it would be fine as everyone could enjoy the covered swing in the courtard, outdoor table/chairs, and big swing in the backyard.  Spreading out wouldn't be so much a problem.....

This was a problem for us.  We usually hosted our crowd events in the summer, because we do have a large front porch that is usable then.  (Outdoors in the summer doesn't work as well because of so many mosquitoes.)  The only type of teen crowd that worked the rest of the year was a girls-only one.  They would have the run of the house (basically, just a living room with an attached dining room and small kitchen).  But, somehow it worked for girls.  They could make pizza and play games and watch a movie or whatnot.

Sometimes, we hosted a teen party elsewhere, like renting a big shelter at a park, a gym, or renting the back room of the local pizza restaurant.  If my son had a crowd it was usually to do something active like bicycling or kayaking on the river so we wouldn't have used our house for that anyway.  Then, sometimes I'd bring them a picnic, on the beach or the park at the end of the trail.

It's been a few years since we've had a teen, but we did a lot outside, too.  Our deck/patio area just lends itself to going outside.  The kids would drift in and out, but mostly stayed out.  We did not have a firepit, but considered one.  The houses that had them were a big draw for the kids.  

In very cold times the kids migrated between the kitchen and the basement (basement is finished, a sound studio is down there so they would play music and make weird recordings).