Menu

Hits so far this year

Halcyon

Most of our hits are the same from previous years...

Brave Writer continues to rock and especially Partnership Writing has been great.

Beast Academy also continues to please Mushroom.

New hits...

I got Drawing Lab (by the Art Lab for Kids folks) and we've only done a few of the things, but they've been really good.

I added a new Tin Man Press book - the level 4 enrichment pack - and I think it might be my new favorite of their stuff.

MCT...  I was very torn about getting this because I felt like I was cheating on my marriage to Brave Writer by having a little affair on the side, but I got such a good deal on Island level.  We've flown through Grammar Island (it was 90% review) and are starting Sentence Island.  And I really like it.  And the kids do too.  So that's a good thing.

Our workhorse programs continue as well...  All About Spelling, Math Mammoth for BalletBoy, the Key to Math series on the side for Mushroom, Logic Liftoff for logic...

I added a new Tin Man Press book - the level 4 enrichment pack - and I think it might be my new favorite of their stuff.

MCT... I was very torn about getting this because I felt like I was cheating on my marriage to Brave Writer by having a little affair on the side, but I got such a good deal on Island level. We've flown through Grammar Island (it was 90% review) and are starting Sentence Island. And I really like it. And the kids do too. So that's a good thing.

Phew! That is a big relief for me! :tongue_smilie:

I was just looking at the Tin Man web site and couldn't figure out how to order leveled enrichment packs. Do you have a link by any chance?

Phew! That is a big relief for me! :tongue_smilie:

I was just looking at the Tin Man web site and couldn't figure out how to order leveled enrichment packs. Do you have a link by any chance?

I credit you completely with swaying me! :D

So, apparently Tin Man Press changed their site in the last month or so.  I had no idea.  You can still get the enrichment packs, but they completely changed the way they're sold.  And the price isn't as good.  They were four little sets of activities in a group for...  I think...  $16, but now each one is $5 each.  Not a crazy difference and you can customize or just get one or two, but still.  They're under the "Thinkables" section:

https://www.tinmanpress.com/tinman-catalog/thinkables

You have to select a grade level at the top and then hit "Find It" and the stuff shows up.  The old enrichment packet bundle that we got includes "Take Aways," "Really Look," "Drawing Starts," and "Listen Up."  We haven't done Take Aways yet, but I really like Drawing Starts and we did a couple of Listen Ups and I thought those were useful for my directions challenged kids.

I credit you completely with swaying me! :D

So, apparently Tin Man Press changed their site in the last month or so.  I had no idea.  You can still get the enrichment packs, but they completely changed the way they're sold.  And the price isn't as good.  They were four little sets of activities in a group for...  I think...  $16, but now each one is $5 each.  Not a crazy difference and you can customize or just get one or two, but still.  They're under the "Thinkables" section:

https://www.tinmanpress.com/tinman-catalog/thinkables

You have to select a grade level at the top and then hit "Find It" and the stuff shows up.  The old enrichment packet bundle that we got includes "Take Aways," "Really Look," "Drawing Starts," and "Listen Up."  We haven't done Take Aways yet, but I really like Drawing Starts and we did a couple of Listen Ups and I thought those were useful for my directions challenged kids.

Thanks for this. Will get some ordered... I credit you with making me drool over the very creative stuff at TMP. :D

Thanks for mentioning CNN Student News.  I just added that today to our daily schedule.  My 4th grader is thrilled (can't say that of the 11th grader yet). 

We have a few hits so far too.  I just asked my daughter, "So...what are some of your favorite things this year?"  Immediately she yelled out, "CANDY!!"  Apparently I didn't word that correctly (I knew what I meant by that).  :lol:   

My daughter is loving history for the first time.  This year we are using Beautiful Feet Early American History Primary.  She also loves spelling.  We are using two spelling programs because I couldn't decide which one to get.  :blush:  She loves them both: Sequential Spelling and Apples and Pears.  She is continuing to love Home Art Studio and we are finishing up The Sentence Family, which has really helped her understand certain parts of speech.  We also love Tin Man Press books (have a huge stack I've collected since oldest daughter was little.  The kids have always begged for TMP books!).  There are actually a few things we haven't even gotten to start yet....so those may end up being on our hits list too (I sure hope so!).

I am still really pleased with Dancing Bears for oldest DD... and the progress she's making.

Starting to warm-up to the I See Sam books now that I have DD placed at the right level.

And DD loves her Just Write "Write About Me."  She's a late-reader and writing reluctant; this is her first writing experience and she really enjoys it/looks forward to it.

ETA:  Oh, and how could I forget....  Magic School Bus dvd set.  Oh, my word. We have watched those shows over and over.  And over.  And OVER.  (So definitely a hit ... but they're starting to make me want to claw out my ears whenever I hear that "beep beep" at the beginning....)

I was skeptical at first, but we are 10 units in with Little Hearts and we have found the love. My daughter is loving school right now. We used MFW K last year, so there was some adjusting to do. :)

We, of course, love AAR. It' so thorough and I love it for that. I can't get over how my daughter is reading now!