Menu

Urine in our heating ducts!

Xuzi

Help! Apparently sometime over the summer my potty-training 4 year old either pee'd in or near one of the floor vents for our central heating system, and now whenever we turn on the heater the whole main part of the house starts to smell like urine. :(

How can I get rid of the smell??

Are you sure it's urine? Mold can smell like urine...I lived in the rainy Seattle weather for long enough to learn that!

Oh no, it's urine. We're in the desert. And there wasn't this smell *at all* last winter, and I know my son likes to sit near the vents when the heater or A/C is on, and we potty trained him this summer, so the chances of his having had an accident on or near a vent is fairly high.

You don't have a rodent problem, do you? I remember seeing a show on HGTV where there was a urine smell in the house and it ended up being from rodents in the ductwork. :ack2:

Otherwise, I would guess you'd have to clean/spray all of the ducts and duct covers with a vinegar solution to get rid of the smell. Or maybe you could just buy a commercial spray like Nature's Miracle or one of the other urine odor removers.

I had a child do that and #2 also.  We sprayed so much disinfectant down the vent and got as far as we could with sponges and sponges attached to handles.  Then we got the vents cleaned which was needed because of dh's allergies, but was secondary in our minds.

Beth