Menu

Help me pick good books for my oldest

My almost 8 year old dd likes Ivy and Bean. She loved the American girl books, except Rebecca.  Maybe try more of those?  Kanaini was good.  So was Jess.  They are year dolls who do some cool stuff.  Are you looking for books she can read herself or read alouds?  My dd likes to read books below her level outloud to her brother- the Fly Guy books come to mind.  Zack's Alligator. Oh, and Mercy Watson, the books about the pig.

I'm looking for ones she could do herself and ones for me to read to her. She hasn't liked any of the books I read to her. I would love to find something that I could read to her that she would like. The list above is all books she read except Charlie and the Chocolate factory. I did read her My Father's Dragon a while back and she was pretty indifferent towards it. She wasn't getting into it.

For reading herself:

Cowgirl Kate & Cocoa

Bink and Gollie

Mercy Watson

Ivy & Bean

Clementine 

Ramona (might be a stretch)

American Girl Kit, Kaya, Kirsten (these were liked better by DD than the others)

Catwings

Pippi Longstocking

The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook

Raggedy Ann

Toys Go Out

To read to her:

All-of-a-Kind Family

The Boxcar Children (she could also read this herself)

A Bear Called Paddington

Because of Winn-Dixie

King Arthur and a World of Other Stories

The Ordinary Princess

The Night Fairy

Tumtum and Nutmeg

No Flying in the House

Gooney Bird Greene

Nurse Matilda

Another vote for Ivy & Bean. 

I am a huge fan of  author Cynthia Rylant for that age.  My youngest dd especially enjoyed The Cobble Street Cousins.

Other favs were the Milly-Molly-Mandy books, and The Children of Noisy Village.

Is Children of Noisy Village as entertaining as Pippi Longstocking? We loved Pippi here and I've always been curious to read this one but never got around to it with ds and now dd is starting to listen to chapter books I'm excited to try some new ones.

I can toss out some suggestions, but the first thing I notice about the two lists is that the things she likes are mostly easier - comics, picture books, early chapter books - and the things she doesn't like - Little House and Narnia - are at a higher level than pretty much everything else listed. I'm not sure if you were reading those or if she was, but it sounds like she may not be ready for them yet.

It's fine to still be reading easy readers at this age.  So High Rise Private Eyes, Fly Guy, Elephant and Piggie, Bink and Gollie, Cowgirl Kate, Mouse and Mole, Mr. Putter and Tabby, etc. are all good.  Mercy Watson is a nice "in between" book for this age as well since it's a little longer and harder, but not much.

I'm also a believer in graphic novels, so in addition to the Calvin and Hobbes (which has a great vocabulary level, btw), she might enjoy Babymouse.  You could also look at individual titles like Giants Beware (I really liked that one) or Zita the Spacegirl.

These are all good early, early chapter book series that have some literary value to them:

* Lighthouse Family

* Cobble Street Cousins

* 26 Fairmont Avenue

* Nate the Great

* Tashi

Since maybe she's reading Droon on her own?  She may also be ready for other chapter book series like Magic Treehouse.  Since she liked Droon, Moongobble is a good fantasy bet.  Spiderwick would be a slightly harder one to try there too.  On the non-fantasy front, I second Ivy and Bean as a nice chapter book series.

For reading aloud, I'll second some things already suggested:

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Ramona

Clementine

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Nim's Island

Anna Hibiscus (could be an independent read too, maybe)

The Wizard of Oz

Since she liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, try some of the shorter Dahl books, like George's Marvelous Medicine or The Twits, both of which are extra zany.

ETA: I also want to advocate for reading picture books aloud still as well.  Look at longer picture books by authors like Patricia Polacco, William Steig, etc. to read aloud (the FIAR lists are good for this too, even if you're not doing FIAR).  And look at picture books like Diary of a Worm for her to read herself.

I second the recommendation to continue with picture books.  I think that will cement her love of reading best right now.  I also agree with all the suggestions of Mo Willems and Cynthia Rylant books.  I'd supply her with a bunch of good picture books and a couple of the easier chapter ones like Magic Treehouse thrown in for when they catch her eye. 

For read-alouds, we liked Henry and Ribsy, Emil and the Detectives, and the Winnie-the-Pooh books.  How about The 21 Balloons?  If you can get through the first chapter or two, she might be captivated.

At least there are a lot of Magic School Bus books.

Thank you. She does read lots and lots of the step into reading books at all the levels and picture books. I have lots of those in the house. She can read several in a setting really fast during reading time. I wanted some more longer books too and to hopefully find a read aloud that she might enjoy. I am going to go through these suggestions and write them down then I can search for them at the thrift stores and used book store with her or take them out from the school library. I read her The Lion Witch and the Wardrobe, Started Little House with her but she didn't want to and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I read her Charlotte's Web and she was pretty neutral about it. She actually doesn't really seem to pay attention or enjoy most books I read to her or audio books. She isn't as into the Magic Tree house books as much as the Magic School Bus and Droon which she is reading on her own. Her favorite seems to be Droon at the moment. She actually can finish more then half of a Droon book in a day at school some days. She is allowed to read library books after she finishes her work.

• 1 month later...