Menu

Is it truly possible to avoid all plastic bags?

I just received an email with a link to this site.

It talks all about how plastic grocery bags pollute the land, water, and endanger animal life. I think that some of the pictures are Photoshopped, but still, it's informative. We have been recycling plastic bags for years now, mostly by using them for other thing besides carrying home groceries.

I totally understand the concept of reusable tote bags and I own quite a few of these. But about six months ago I stopped using my cloth bags and began taking plastic grocery bags again because I like to use them for trash. I haven't bought a single box of "trash bags" in all that time because I just use the little plastic ones from the supermarket (or any other store for that matter.)

So now I'm wondering: if you use only reusable bags for groceries, what do you use for trash? Do you purchase trash bags? Aren't they just as bad for the environment as the grocery bags?

Why such a focus on the evils of plastic bags when it comes to grocery bags, but not much is mentioned about GladBags?

I just received an email with a link to this site.

It talks all about how plastic grocery bags pollute the land, water, and endanger animal life. I think that some of the pictures are Photoshopped, but still, it's informative. We have been recycling plastic bags for years now, mostly by using them for other thing besides carrying home groceries.

I totally understand the concept of reusable tote bags and I own quite a few of these. But about six months ago I stopped using my cloth bags and began taking plastic grocery bags again because I like to use them for trash. I haven't bought a single box of "trash bags" in all that time because I just use the little plastic ones from the supermarket (or any other store for that matter.)

So now I'm wondering: if you use only reusable bags for groceries, what do you use for trash? Do you purchase trash bags? Aren't they just as bad for the environment as the grocery bags?

Why such a focus on the evils of plastic bags when it comes to grocery bags, but not much is mentioned about GladBags?

You know, I just can't sweat the small stuff. We seriously try to use as minimal amounts of plastic bags as possible. I even reuse my grocery store plastic garbage bags. (I dump the stuff into the big garbage and keep the plastic bag unless it is yucky!) We re-wash zip-loc bags. We recycle whatever we can. We use canvas grocery bags (unless I forget, which is about half the time :glare:) We reuse our yard waste bags too, if we can. So, I'm just not going to feel guilty about this one! :001_smile:

There are biodegradable trash bags, but you need to be careful because if you put anything wet in them they begin to degrade. My husband is more particular about these things so I buy them, along with disposable plates made from corn. I also try to avoid plastic in the produce aisle.

BioBags are an option. You can read about them here:

http://www.ecoproducts.com/food_services/bags/food_service_bags_index.htm

I think you can buy them at Costco.

I've been bringing my own bags to the store for more than 20 years because as a poor college student I walked or rode my bike. It became habit. We always seem to have a random plastic bag for trash, but occasionally I buy recycled bags. My take on this is that there are chapters in my life when I need to give myself a break. In the last couple years I've purchased maybe 6 rolls of paper towels (gasp!). In the 20 odd years prior to that I had not bought any. If you're at a point in your life where you have the energy to work out a way to avoid all plastic, by all means, do it. But don't kill yourself over it. Maybe you don't need this word of encouragement, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

You know...I'm just figuring that this plastic bag fascination is just another dig at the oil industry. There is no way we can ever get rid of oil altogether.

Gosh. I don't feel like I owe anything to the oil industry, as grateful as I am for much of what it provides for me. "We" might not be able to get rid of it altogether, but that doesn't excuse me from doing what I can, in my wee little life, to avoid damaging this beautiful earth. ;)

[ETA: *anj* asked if we could avoid the bags. I think the answer is yes. I didn't mean to interrupt any conversation about the oil industry if *anj* wants to go there.]

I LOVE my cloth grocery bags. You can carry so much more and they never break!!

But I still use a couple of plastic bags every month for pop bottles - uh, not that we ever drink pop... not that I'm drinking a Coke right now... :glare:

Jen

LOL, oh yes, we never drink Diet Pepsi here either. :hat:

You're right, my 6 cloth bags hold more than twice as much as plastic. I do like to get Trader Joe paper bags every once in a while though.

Good paper bags with strong handles are available in most grocery stores in our area. You can also purchase reusable bags at a very reasonable cost.

We do use plastic for trash, but by the time all the recyclables and compostables are sorted out, there's not much trash.

Our municipal by-laws are specific as to how trash is supposed to be packaged. There is no practical reusable alternative for trash bags.

In answer to your question: no.

I feel bad for pet owners now. Since they are phasing out the plastic bags here in CA the pet owners are actually going to have to buy bags now for the dog's poop. Frankly, I think the powers that be should revoke the law cleaning up after pets so that there won't be any more plastic bags preserving the poop. :tongue_smilie:

We are on a mission to rid plastic from our lives. I know we are weird.

We are using reusable grocery bags.

We compost all kitchen scraps that are compostable (our garden really likes this)

We use brown bags in our garbage can

I usually wrap messy bones in a single sheet of newspaper to keep them from soiling the bag and thus breaking it.

I use glass dishes/cassarole dishes etc to store things in the frig

As a kid we never had plastic products in the house until I was probably a teen. It is funny how fast we get used to something and then feel like we can't live without it.

I really don't like plastic bags but have started getting a few at the store here and there. I use them for delivering Meals-on-Wheels. It makes it much older for the old 'uns.:tongue_smilie: Plus, since they are older, I have a feeling they will reuse them, LOL

They are a nuisance and I see then everywhere but I do see some uses for them. Other than Ziplocs, we don't use plastic in our kitchen at all.

I wish I could find an alternative to plastic trash bags but DH resists anything but.:glare:

We use brown bags in our garbage can

Where do you get your brown bags? They used to be available at Gaiam.com, paper with a high recycled content, but I don't see them there anymore. (You do mean brown paper?) Do you just use paper bags from the store?

This will date me, but I remember when plastic grocery bags were first introduced and the big hubbub was that they "saved trees". I should ask at Trader Joe's what the recycled content is in their paper bags. I just used my last one for donations to Goodwill, so I can't look at the actual bag.

Anyway, good for you. Good ideas, too.

To answer your question Anj, yes I think we can avoid them but then I have to ask, at what cost? Like one poster said we were told using plastic bags saved trees. Sooooo, now we go to linen bags for groceries...okay, good...but then there has been talk here about using paper for garbage. What happens to the trees then? I know I know, use recycled brown bags, however, not every.single.person will do this. And then some might say, "Make it a law!" And that just gets us onto a whole 'nother topic! :lol:

I think it's a double-edged sword, so to speak, so we should do what we can, reasonably. It's great to be thoughtful of the environment but the fact of the matter is, there's always a downside to our environment no matter how careful we are. Not saying we shouldn't do what we can, just pointing out that there is nothing we can do that will completely obliterate any taxing of the environment.

A friend of mine has a very contrary view of recycling. He says it uses MORE energy to recycle than to make new. Of course, I think some of what he says is just excuse making for him being rather lazy and not wanting to recycle. :glare: But he has a point.

FWIW, I'm tired of plastic bags so we switched to canvas bags. I like them. The only disadvantage in our house is that my boys are still smaller and the canvas bags are heavier so Mom gets to do most of the carrying of the groceries into the house. Not too big of a deal.

I do keep plastic bags around for messy things or picking up yucky stuff. When my bin under the sink is empty of plastic bags, I don't use canvas that week.

I like the idea of reusing what we have. Ds and I found a book last year about Kids growing up in WWII and how they reused EVERYTHING as part of the war effort. It was fascinating and got me thinking how wasteful we have gotten as a society.

A friend of mine has a very contrary view of recycling. He says it uses MORE energy to recycle than to make new. Of course, I think some of what he says is just excuse making for him being rather lazy and not wanting to recycle. :glare: But he has a point.

He does have a point. But I think folks tend to forget the first two "Rs", Reduce, Re-use and then Recycle.

We all have to follow what our conscience guides us to do. Hopefully we're making choices that are as informed as possible.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one thinkin' about this stuff.